PDA

View Full Version : DofE Gold Expeditions

Testarossa
03-05-2014, 09:13 PM
This post in on behalf of my daughter as I have no experience of Gold Expeditions.

There of 5 in her group for Gold. They were given a stack of maps for wild country in the UK and told to go and research areas and decide where they want to do their expedition. 2 of the lads are researching Wales and my daughter and another Explorer are researching the Lake District with one other looking at Yorkshire.

She would love to do a hike in the Lakes, but the more she looks at it, the more roads they seem to need to cross to get from one campsite to the next.

Has anyone done Gold in the Lakes and can anyone recommend a good area for doing a Gold Expedition which doesn't involve going through too many built up areas please? She needs to come up with her research by Thursday, but it's a mammoth task when she does college 3 days a week and works the other 4 days. So far, she's looked at 2 areas and spent about 6 hours researching campsites and routes without coming up with anything concrete.

If anyone can recommend a good area for Gold, at least she can concentrate her efforts.

Thanks.

jimjam
03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I did mine in the lakes. We started in Keswick, stayed a seatoller farm campsite the first night, Rydal hall campsite the second night (well, actually we ended up wild camping but that's another story) and glencoyne farm campsite the last night.

If you pm me you email address I can send you more info if I still have it on my laptop :)

Barney255
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I'll dig out some more info but I did north east Lakes.

I stayed at Side Farm Patterdale, Sykes Farm Brothers Water and a wild camp up Pasture Beck

Our District have done a few around the Lakes so will get you some alternatives.

Barney

merryweather
04-05-2014, 12:30 AM
This post in on behalf of my daughter as I have no experience of Gold Expeditions.

hi sam! likewise i too have no experience of DofE gold expeditions. however, i am aware of what's involved and i have done very similar expeditions in the past myself.

There of 5 in her group for Gold. They were given a stack of maps for wild country in the UK and told to go and research areas and decide where they want to do their expedition. 2 of the lads are researching Wales and my daughter and another Explorer are researching the Lake District with one other looking at Yorkshire.

She would love to do a hike in the Lakes, but the more she looks at it, the more roads they seem to need to cross to get from one campsite to the next.

you can't really avoid roads altogether unless you go to the highlands and places such as knoydart.you can keep them to a minimum with a careful selection of route.

i can recall a 4-5 day hike with a girlfriend back in my early twenties over the high fells of northumbria from once brewed on the wall through kielder to otterburn and then over the laws and the cheviot to kirk yetholm. i think we passed about 10 people on the way and even though we walked a short stretch along the A68?? we were only passed by about 10 cars. it did rain for three of the five days. tough.

in the lakes this is not easy as most routes round the lakes will cross from time to time the radial spread of roads. the biggest concentration of roads though is in the centre with the busiest roads up along coniston and windermere, through ambleside, and then over dunmail raise and north into keswick or the kirkstone pass to ullswater and on to penrith.

you can find good route which avoid busy roads as much as possible if you keep to the west, the north or the east - but you won't avoid all roads.

Has anyone done Gold in the Lakes and can anyone recommend a good area for doing a Gold Expedition which doesn't involve going through too many built up areas please? She needs to come up with her research by Thursday, but it's a mammoth task when she does college 3 days a week and works the other 4 days. So far, she's looked at 2 areas and spent about 6 hours researching campsites and routes without coming up with anything concrete.

If anyone can recommend a good area for Gold, at least she can concentrate her efforts.

Thanks.

years back, 3 years before my northumbria trip and a year after i left school, iirc, i did a 'grand tour' of the lakes solo in 11/12 days. 17 years old, care-free, and cracking good weather. never done anything similar since. started work later that year. friends and i from work did bits of my grand tour every easter holidays for the next 15 years.

i digress reminiscing!

realling that DofE is through not over here is an outline route i recall doing many years back which (with the few adjustments i make here) should fit the bill. (i don't have my 4 OS OL maps of the lakes with me - i'm up north in malvern doing some geology - so i'll see if my poor memory suffices!)

start in torver, a few miles south west of coniston. aclimatisation on day one could be to pitch camp in torver, drive up to consiton and then walk the walna scar track from coniston towards brown pike/blind tarn and then turn L heading south east to torver. in torver there is a campsite there but can't recall the name - only ever been there twice! (scar something???) on first hike day you take the lane/path up to tranearth?? (heading back up the last bit of the acclimatisation walk) and then on up to meet the walna scar path which you follow WNW past brown pike to meet and cross the road from wrynose bottom-seathwaite (i think) in dunnerdale, crossing the river duddon by the fickle steps (stepping stones with hand cable). you continue NW in the direction of harter fell over birker moor (?) and down into eskdale, W along the river and then to the station dalegarth i think it will be and on to boot. you then head N out of boot and into miterdale where you can wild camp just below and SW of burnmoor tarn. (burnmoor lodge is private but use as a bothy by some).

next day it's from camp to burnmoor and then N to brackenclose and wasdale head. you then go up mosedale and over the black sail pass and down into ennerdale, past the black sail hut YH, and then N up over the scarth gap pass just W of haystacks and down into buttermere, along the S side of buttermere and into buttermere village where you can camp at syke or sykeside farm (?) - it should be listed in camping directories.

(i think it's syke farm buttermere and sykeside is the one at brother's water as barney says - been to both a few times! a head full of useless info gets muddled at times!)

next day head N along the W bank of crummock water up towards the kirkstile inn in loweswater and work your way around the head of the lake. you're now looking for gasgale (or is it gasdale?) gill which runs W - E along the N flank of grasmoor up to coledale hause and then continue on to force crag and the low force waterfall. you then continue down in coledale to braithwaite where there are campsites. scotgate has showers, a shop and wi-fi!

next day it's swinside and on to catbells ridge, dropping down into borrowdale and then to lodore and ashness bridge - with an extension to watendlath along the minor road - the N long the W side of castlerigg fell to castlerigg and then down to the finish in keswick (moot hall).

(when i did this route i went over the old man, harter fell, scafell, high stile and grasmoor - i've altered my route to meet the DofE 'through not over' objectives. i took 3 more days and did 2 extra nights wild camping)

sorry i can't give you more details but internet access is limited here and as i say i don't have the maps of the lakes with me (only gelogocial maps).

see if you can follow the route on a map and let me know if you need more details. check the distance too! i think it meets all the requirements.

hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

regards,

TM

shiftypete
04-05-2014, 08:44 AM
To be clear the DofE requirements do not state that a Gold expedition must stay clear of roads although obviously minimising road usage is best.

Wild County remote from habitation which is unfamiliar to the participants. The environment should be more demanding for the participants than at silver level.https://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/expedition/expedition-require/

martin1981
05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi,

Did mine in the lake district in the summer of 2004. We started just off the M6 between the M6 roundabout and Rghed Shopping Centre which is on the A66.

The end point was Brathay just outside Ambleside, but that was just because we were staying at the Brathay Exploration Group HQ (my DofE gold was an open project).

From memory we didn't cross any roads until day 3 and all three nights were wild camping. Day 3 and 4 were slightly less isolated from memory due to the logistics of getting into Ambleside.

Thanks

Martin

zipnut
08-05-2014, 01:03 AM
I'd suggest they look at the Peak District, specifically following either the Trans Pennine Trail or the Pennine Way.

Yes, there are some roads to cross but the benefit is that they are well used should any assistance ever be required.

merryweather
08-05-2014, 04:15 AM
I'd suggest they look at the Peak District, specifically following either the Trans Pennine Trail or the Pennine Way.

yes, the peak district is one area to consider.

no, do not follow the TPT or PW!

it is highly recommended that expedition groups do not follow national trails as the anticipated challenge of the expedition is very much diminished if they do. this doesn't mean that you can't incorporate sections of national trails - it's almost impossible to avoid some trails in some areas - but as much as possible these should form a relatively small part of the route to ensure that groups rely on their own skills and training to cover the ground not those of others through simply following other people or heavily waymarked paths.

walking the PW in itself is a significant challenge when done in its entirety - as my feet will testify, but this is not the point of the expedition. i have cycled about half of the TPT in sections - currently down to rspb old moor - and while this is another great route, it has urban sections which do not fit the 'avoiding areas of habitation' requirement on DofE gold expeditions.

Yes, there are some roads to cross but the benefit is that they are well used should any assistance ever be required. the DofE gold expedition is to be done in wild country areas not by following a route around st martins walk shopping centre in dorking or the A628!

TM

niravpatel
09-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Perthshire in Scotland is lovely for Gold expeditions. I did mine there.

roger-uk
09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Perthshire in Scotland is lovely for Gold expeditions. I did mine there.

A route or short details may help

K_Welborn
09-05-2014, 07:11 PM
We have been looking at NY Moors for our Gold Team this year.
Start at Whitby (catch train up day before and stay at fantastic YHA)
Head west staying at Goathland and Rosedale before curving SE and then east towards Scarborough and train home.
Accept that the final 3km into Scarborough will be in built up areas.

If you are going to use an Assessor via the DofE Network, you may be unlucky, there is a big demand for Assessors and usually you need to be applying several months in advance in order to get one. That's why the DofE are keen to encourage Groups to go to other areas.
Hope that wherever they go, they have a memorable Expedition
Kevin
ESL
Phoenix ESU

wealdbrook
09-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I dod mine in the Black Mountain/Brecon Beacons area of South Wales some years ago(!) - that was suitably wild and not too many roads although they were close enough for real emergencies

MikeIOW
13-05-2014, 03:24 PM
We are only just getting into Gold level....we have used the Dark Peak for 2 x practice ones so far, although campsites/farms are quite limited, and it is very near impossible to avoid tranches of the Pennine Way without just being a completely random lesson in navigating utterly without paths - I'm not sure that is the real intention of Gold?!
We have one team doing their assessed in mid-Wales this summer.....that is a big area with plenty of farms, & I imagine very remote (not that I know the area at all). We were fortunate enough to find someone in the County who was happy to assess (not known to the Explorers).
Anyone with experience of teams doing theirs in autumn half term ? I know the hours of daylight could be a major issue, but perhaps not insurmountable if they are accurate with their navigating and maybe even start in mild darkness!

mikewhay
13-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Mike
I've assesses all levels in that half term period, it's tight, they need to get up and on their way very quickly, and navigation needs to be good

Do able, .... It's just getting them together up and get fed and packed up seems to take forever !