PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

No1 Newham
14-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,
So after a few years we have opened a new colony for our group. We have recruited a BSL and ABSL who are new to scouting but taking out appointments.

The question I pose to all you wonderful people is: we have our start up grant, what do you think is essential equipment for beavers or not so essential but practical?

Thoughts?
Antony

Darren-M
14-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I guess it depends what you can borrow off other sections, but we regularly use:

Paper.
Felt tips/crayons
Parachute
Sponge footballs
Small Bean bags

Obviously, you'll also need group/district/county/world badges, and any you want to work towards. These aren't cheap! You might also benefit from buying a few folders for records, or from saying to your leaders that you'll foot their uniform expenses.

bernwood
14-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I add glue, scissors, hula hoops (great for games) , skipping ropes,cricket bat and soft ball, and stuff like beads, pipecleaners, tissuepaper, its always good to have a big craft box for those wet meetings.

No1 Newham
14-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Awesome thanks guys i'm making a list :)

Russell Corrie
14-05-2014, 07:20 PM
And checking it twice :)

dasy2k1
14-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Foam footballs, Beanbags, paracord in various colours. Playground chalk, whistle, stopwatch, coloured pencils, paper, poster paint and brushes, pva glue.

recneps
14-05-2014, 08:21 PM
! You might also benefit from buying a few folders for records

Really? I haven't had a folder for records in Scouting for at least 4 years now... its all on the computer!

I would try to agree with the group to share games equipment if possible - seems silly for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to all buy their own balls etc.

Craft materials are always useful, and as someone else said, badges are quite expensive. I would also perhaps buy a scrapstore membership!

Darren-M
14-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Really? I haven't had a folder for records in Scouting for at least 4 years now... its all on the computer!

We have a couple of folders in the hut. From what I remember, they're various things to do with training, risk assessments, and badge requirements for easy reference. I think there's a copy of POR too.

Most of it is better to be on the computer if it can be, but we have a mix of tech-literate and tech-phobic leaders, so I guess we duplicate.

recneps
15-05-2014, 07:58 AM
We have a couple of folders in the hut. From what I remember, they're various things to do with training, risk assessments, and badge requirements for easy reference. I think there's a copy of POR too.

Most of it is better to be on the computer if it can be, but we have a mix of tech-literate and tech-phobic leaders, so I guess we duplicate.

I think we've got a copy of POR somewhere in the hall... dating back to the 1980s. I have never yet needed it at the hall but if I did it could be accessed online. We do have a couple of badge requirement books. Everything else is on OSM or some other computerised system.

Neil Williams
15-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I think we've got a copy of POR somewhere in the hall... dating back to the 1980s. I have never yet needed it at the hall but if I did it could be accessed online. We do have a couple of badge requirement books. Everything else is on OSM or some other computerised system.

The worth of a printed set of emergency contact details proved itself last week when I was able to parcel an injured Scout who was going to need a hospital visit off to the Group Chairman who used the paper records to get his parents' details and phone for me without disrupting the meeting.

It's proven itself in the past in similar circumstances on camps - take that Scout's page out of the folder, give it to the Leader taking them to hospital.

IT is all very well, but when you need information quickly like that it rarely wins. Post-Compass I will therefore still retain an up to date printout of basic contact details and it'll be that (and a paper register) I refer to when in the HQ and on camp, not pratting about with a computer.

I work in IT and I understand its many benefits, but sometimes a printout is much more convenient.

Neil

recneps
15-05-2014, 08:19 AM
The worth of a printed set of emergency contact details proved itself last week when I was able to parcel an injured Scout who was going to need a hospital visit off to the Group Chairman who used the paper records to get his parents' details and phone for me without disrupting the meeting.

IT is all very well, but when you need information quickly it rarely wins.

Neil

We do tend to keep a printed copy (printout from OSM) at the hall, and always take copies to camp etc. That said i've never yet needed to get the details and not been able to quickly go into OSM, select the contact details tab, and quickly select the required number.

However, I wouldn't want to purely rely on OSM - due to the potential risk of no data signal.

Neil Williams
15-05-2014, 08:23 AM
We do tend to keep a printed copy (printout from OSM) at the hall, and always take copies to camp etc. That said i've never yet needed to get the details and not been able to quickly go into OSM, select the contact details tab, and quickly select the required number.

I've also used my Google spreadsheets via my tablet if I happened to have that handy, but a quick flip through the paper records is usually quicker. I also use the register very dynamically - I write notes next to individuals, add columns for stuff I need to remember etc then reconcile it all when I get home. Much easier for me personally. FWIW it's also in Patrol order, which I don't think OSM does, because I am utterly hopeless at names to faces, which means having to guess a name from 6 is easier than guessing it from 24.

However, I wouldn't want to purely rely on OSM - due to the potential risk of no data signal.

There is that as well, though I think it syncs for offline use.

Neil

recneps
15-05-2014, 08:27 AM
I've also used my Google spreadsheets via my tablet if I happened to have that handy, but a quick flip through the paper records is usually quicker. I also use the register very dynamically - I write notes next to individuals, add columns for stuff I need to remember etc then reconcile it all when I get home. Much easier for me personally. FWIW it's also in Patrol order, which I don't think OSM does, because I am utterly hopeless at names to faces, which means having to guess a name from 6 is easier than guessing it from 24.

There is that as well, though I think it syncs for offline use.

Neil

Back when I used to use a paper register I'd always find that:

a) it was at home because i'd been updating records, so I didnt have it at a troop night
or
b) it was at the hall when I wanted to update records

OSM is everywhere. It also automatically updates the badge records which saves a lot of time. I know all the Cubs and most of the Scouts... if I had to cover beavers and take a register I'd just call out the names.

Ihatecamping
15-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Back when I used to use a paper register I'd always find that:

a) it was at home because i'd been updating records, so I didnt have it at a troop night
or
b) it was at the hall when I wanted to update records

OSM is everywhere. It also automatically updates the badge records which saves a lot of time. I know all the Cubs and most of the Scouts... if I had to cover beavers and take a register I'd just call out the names.

Don't use OSM, but it's only everywhere if you can get a signal where you meet.

My register (for Cubs) has the emergency contacts printed next to the names, so that if anything happens we can take the page and run to the pub to use their phone (I exaggerate slightly, but the mobile signal in the villages where we meet is unreliable at best). I print a new sheet out for every meeting.

It's a bit like doing your navigation with a GPS, and leaving the map and compass behind.

nele
15-05-2014, 09:34 AM
This is the list we've got for our new colony- meeting in a different place to everyone else. We didn't buy most of it- a lot are things we had in stock already, but it may give you some ideas.
2 medium foam footballs
20 Small foam balls
1 soft baseball
2 baseball bats
1 foam Frisbee
1 pkt 50 balloons
1 fishing game
4 old neckers (blindfolds etc)
2 old inner tubes (cooperation games)
4 bats (round flat type)
1 beanbag
1 piece of thin rope
Plastic clothes pegs
Playground chalk
1 small die & counters
2 giant snakes & ladders sheets
1 sponge
1 box wax crayons (not enough for whole colony)
Paint brushes- small
1 paint pallet (no paint yet)
Coloured pencils & plain pencils small number in plastic box
1 pencil sharpener
24 felt tips
Rubber
3 rolls sticky tape
4 glue sticks
2 staplers & staples
7 pairs small scissors
Assorted coloured craft paper & white paper
20 wooden craft sticks
Box with knotting string
Some disposable plastic cups (if you want snacks regularly I suggest you invest in plastic beakers)
Set of Beaver manuals (4)
small First aid kit