PDA

View Full Version : POLL:Do you think the your Group / Unit will be able to upload its Youth Data in time

Richard
05-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Do you think your Group / Unit will be able to upload its Youth Data into COMPASS in time for the 31st January 2015 Deadline?

Yes
No
Don't Know
What's COMPASS?

Please post specific discussion about Compass in its forum

https://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/forums/229-Project-Compass

Hathi_Cambridge
05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
No.

Unless I forget any concerns I have about parental consent & Data Protection.

I am awaiting responses from the Information Centre, but suspect this will drag on hence the NO.

DonTregartha
05-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I said yes, though we have yet to try an upload - we have the info on the spreadsheets, so it can't be that far off....

Could it??

Richard
05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi, please can you post specific discussion about COMPASS in the specific form

https://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/forums/229-Project-Compass

leadera
05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Don't know don't care.

davewebb
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes

I used OSM to export my data and have uploaded into Compass, all my Cubs are in. All the data looks good.
I still plan on using OSM for running my pack.

Dave

Do you think the your Group / Unit will be able to upload its Youth Data into COMPASS in time for the 31st January 2015 Deadline?

Yes
No
Don't Know - Havent looked at it
What's COMPASS?

agent-p
05-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Already done it.

Dumped out from OSM, bit of editing of addresses, all uploaded.

It didn't link up all the Parents correctly so I've got a few duplicates but that doesn't bother me so I'll probably leave them.

sitb2000
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
It didn't link up all the Parents correctly so I've got a few duplicates but that doesn't bother me so I'll probably leave them.

I've been told that there will be a de-duplication process that will be triggered later.

Penny E
05-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I said yes, though we have yet to try an upload - we have the info on the spreadsheets, so it can't be that far off....

Could it??
Looks like a waiting game for us, Don ...

I've answered "Yes" because I'm hopeful that the export from OSM will cover it. It seems to have gone well for most people.

Sparks
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I have put Don't Know. It all depends on the GSL whose IT skills are in line with the IT1 badge.

PaulArthurs
05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
I have put Don't Know. It all depends on the GSL whose IT skills are in line with the IT1 badge.

The responsibility to upload data to Compass for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts rests with the section leaders. Adults should already be on Compass.

So the IT skills, or lack of IT skills, of your GSL should not have much impact on the Groups ability to get information uploaded in time for census on 31 January.

Paul

Kev
05-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Its an ambiguous question. Do you mean will we have our data ready by 31 Jan or do you mean do we trust Compass to be working by 31 Jan?

khoomei
05-12-2014, 03:12 PM
I put 'don't know' because it depends on me being assigned a role as a leader of the right unit.

BigBadBaloo
05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
The responsibility to upload data to Compass for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts rests with the section leaders. Adults should already be on Compass.

So the IT skills, or lack of IT skills, of your GSL should not have much impact on the Groups ability to get information uploaded in time for census on 31 January.

Paul

No but the skills of the section leaders could and I suspect that will impact on quite a few groups over the next few weeks.

We will be offering support to those groups in our district in this situation and hope you will be doing the same whilst waving your copy of POR at them. :)

1stmacscouter
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes - but subject to sorting out who is doing upload in two Sections where S/Leader can't.

David Kendall
05-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Yes, Scout data in, Beaver and Cubs submitted.

shiftypete
05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes so long as I get moved to the correct Unit in time

jtbtroon
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes, it should be fine. I'm waiting until the new year so I can move beavers,cubs,scouts up to their new sections then I will upload.

London Scouter
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes we COULD do the upload very soon - but whether that's WISE is another matter.

For example, we don't currently hold parents' dates of birth. I'd assumed that if we left that blank on the spreadsheet we'd be able to add that later to enable parent access to Compass. However, it seems that may not be possible (http://compassuserguide.scouts.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2466#p2466). So we may need to do a comprehensive data collection exercise before doing the OSM export / Compass upload.

Walsallwizard
05-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Had to answer don't know, not sure if anyone in Group has admin rights

Neil Williams
05-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes we COULD do the upload very soon - but whether that's WISE is another matter.

For example, we don't currently hold parents' dates of birth. I'd assumed that if we left that blank on the spreadsheet we'd be able to add that later to enable parent access to Compass. However, it seems that may not be possible (http://compassuserguide.scouts.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2466#p2466). So we may need to do a comprehensive data collection exercise before doing the OSM export / Compass upload.

I will not be retro-collecting parents' dates of birth, as I don't think that is a question you ask of people. It's on the new form and any new parents can supply it if they want as an optional field.

With no friendly "parent portal" I can't imagine why in a million years any parent would want to log in, in any case.

Neil

johnmcmahon
05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I think we may have a few parents with the same DOB. And name. And address. And email.

Kev
05-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Isn't it rather 'iffy' in data protection terms to collect parents date of birth? TSA don't need it and it is one of the items frequently used as an identity question by banks (Halifax seem to just about insist on using DoB). It can be said that DoB is needed for YP to ensure they move between sections at the correct time, but not parents.

khoomei
05-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I will not be retro-collecting parents' dates of birth, as I don't think that is a question you ask of people. It's on the new form and any new parents can supply it if they want as an optional field.

With no friendly "parent portal" I can't imagine why in a million years any parent would want to log in, in any case.

Neil

If/when I get the information into Compass, I would like to invite all parents to login and check their details are correct, they are the best people to do this. Even if they don't bother, they cannot then complain if their details are incorrect.

Unfortunately, I agree that it is at best rather rude to ask parents for their DoB. I really want this to be looked at again, it just makes it even less likely that they will bother.

I also agree that a friendly "parent portal" would be great, but that really would be shooting for the moon at the moment.

Neil Williams
05-12-2014, 06:18 PM
If/when I get the information into Compass, I would like to invite all parents to login and check their details are correct, they are the best people to do this. Even if they don't bother, they cannot then complain if their details are incorrect.

I would like to do that, but it is certain to result in me spending half my life doing IT support. Compass is not friendly enough for parent use.

If any parent approaches me and asks about it, I will explain how they can get access and point them to the help site. But I'm not going to encourage it at present.

A better approach than DoB would be for the Leader to be able to generate an initial password and pass that out to the parent, perhaps in paper form.

Neil

tony-nic
05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Isn't it rather 'iffy' in data protection terms to collect parents date of birth? TSA don't need it and it is one of the items frequently used as an identity question by banks (Halifax seem to just about insist on using DoB). It can be said that DoB is needed for YP to ensure they move between sections at the correct time, but not parents.

Parents date of birth is nothing whatsoever to do with TSA, even if its a Compass datapoint

I'll not be asking any parent for this information

Simon Hubbard
05-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes, even if I re type/ cut & paste from OSM it's only 1 minute per member it a only going to take 2hrs max. The issue is I've got the hump about having to do it at all when I can extract the census data from OSM in minutes.
Will I do it? Possibly but the quality will be bare minimum if I have to do it manually and by that I mean only the info TSA need to count members and charge us our annual subs. Which means no ethnicity, no religion, no members phone numbers etc the system is so crap there's no way the developers responsible were bright enough to catch generic data. Postcodes same or better NN9 9NN

TheBigDog
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I've put what was needed in fine, will still use OSM as it is light years ahead of compass and probably always will be.

RisingStar
05-12-2014, 08:04 PM
There are some I've noticed who are using their own concerns about DPA, or petty points (like the password requiring to have a variety of character types) to declare that they won't be using it, and some who claim to have no net access anywhere within the section or parental membership. To me that results in a couple of possible outcomes...

1) There is very wide dissension / mass disobedience / genuine bewilderment and failure and the Census is so far down on numbers that TSA is forced to allow a backup mechanism for this year (only ?!) or end up with very low income and a drop in numbers.

2) There are very a few sections who won't/can't and they end up being helped by district/county, and I guess in the case of total refuseniks asked to leave the movement if they won't register their members with HQ thereby ensuring their contribution and continued insurance.

At present I've really no idea which way it will go. Locally the worst is ambivalence ("I'll do it after Christmas"), and certainly none of the foot down, "I will refuse to use", beloved of some leaders I've seen. Assuming that goes the same nationally, then the whole thing will hinge on whether it works well enough for people to use it when they get round to it.

Simon Hubbard
05-12-2014, 08:16 PM
At the end of the day I'm sure we'll all end up with census data in Compass. Personally I'd like to see a bit of a shake up in those responsible for what is a catalogue of poor judgement, miscommunication and more than likely naive use of funds. Will anyone be called to account, probably not, why ? Because those of us running sections are volunteers and viewed as expendable minions bound to do as we are told like good little Boy Scouts.
Am I cross ... Yes, will it make me quit the movement no, I don't do it for the movement I do it for the kids in the village where I live.

Cottsyboy
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I put yes, just done 12 manually as thats all I have had returned by parents, its easier than I anticipated, each entry takes 5 minutes.
Just need the parents to return their forms by the 10th our last meeting and all will be done by the end of the year.

Hatman
05-12-2014, 11:35 PM
We have collected the data and got it in the spreadsheets with no problem. We have not tried uploading it yet. We thought we would let others kick some of the bugs out first. The upload seems to have worked for some, so I see no reason why it would not work for us. We are doing mandatory fields only. Parent's dates of birth is not something we are planning to ask for. So I have optimistically voted Yes.
We still have to sort the adults out. We have an interesting collection of adults in our Beaver Colony including one from another Group altogether. This aspect of the census is more concerning and needs a lot of work. We have almost 40 adults allocated to our Group. I only wish that was really true and not just a Compass dream. We have to get this bit sorted or else we will be paying HQ for loads of adults who don't belong. If we can't maybe we will get another "Growing the Movement" award.
We are planning to start a second Beaver Colony early next year. That could get exciting.
Good luck with your inputs.

Nigel

Simon Hubbard
08-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Just uploaded our cubs section via the bull upload read it and played back what I sent, now apparently it could take up to a week to be "verified" and appear in the system. Bulk upload waste of time it'd be quicker to manually enter each one.