PDA

View Full Version : Hosting for the future ??

bandmaster
03-10-2003, 06:18 AM
An enormous BRAVO and a big THANK YOU to the whole Esouts team for the excellent service that you have supplied to date. We are deeply sorry that you now have to end the free hosting/cheap hosting. As far as the Scout Association go - well they probably see you are being born before your time! The Assoc. is a rambling old gentleman, still living about 20 years behind the times. The provision that you have given us, and the patient support has been hugely appreciated. It's a shame that the Assoc. haven't caught up with the fact that there is a definite need for this kind of thing, and put some money into it themselves.

Q1. Can anyone recommend an alternative free hosting service?
Q2. My site - www.ldsb.escouts.org.uk - will get bigger, what size web space & bandwidth should I look for?
Q3. Can you list any hosting service(s) that I should avoid (eg. those who will sprinkle my site with inappropriate (adult) advertising pop-ups etc)
Q4. Do I need to buy a domain name?

Thanks Again

Al.
Bandmaster, Lincoln District Scout Band

mattw
03-10-2003, 12:20 PM
1 - cant reccomend anyone off hand but if your site isnt complicated the free web space you get with your isp is likely to be good as any.

2 - as for diskspace and bandwidth its impossible to say, but if you login to Cpanel it gives you a big list down the side of what your current usuage is this month. By clicking on web/ftp stats and then on Webalizer you can see you bandwidth usuage from past months. I dunno what you are using but i wouls see what your busiest month was then add about 100 meg to it as headroom for the future. If you post your stats up then some more helpful advice can be given.

3 - hosts to avoid would be the likes of yahoo geocities etc etc, there is ok free hosting out there its just a case of finding it.

4 - you dont need a domain name, IIRC then Jon can setup your escouts domain to point to your new webspace. However for the sake of £7 every 2 years its possibly worth it.

hth

Matt

Daniel
03-10-2003, 09:17 PM
I can tell you to stay well away from tripod part of lycos - they put a big thick bar down the side of every page, i quickly moved here as soon as it happened, the page was nealy half the size.

daniel

bandmaster
04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Thank you to Matt and Daniel for posting replies,
Matt - my site is 24.27 megs. I don't think my ISP (btopenworld) is quite that generous. I am also quite interested in getting a short domain name - but I have had a look around, and haven't seen any for £7. yet. Any suggestions? Anyway - here are my site stats - what do you make of them? March was our first month online at escouts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2003 Unique Number Pages Hits Bandwidth
visitors of visits
Feb 0 0 0 0 0
Mar 27 28 396 604 21.86 MB
Apr 170 246 3056 5619 120.69 MB
May 294 419 2802 7158 94.21 MB
Jun 141 193 2467 5922 50.67 MB
Jul 172 233 1308 3137 34.07 MB
Aug 148 184 788 2378 27.39 MB
Sep 219 306 2089 6094 64.94 MB
------------------------------------------------------------------
Al.
Allister Garrod, Bandmaster, Lincoln District Scout Band.

Bloory
04-10-2003, 09:37 PM
SEARCH RESULTS:
Not Available:
ldsb.com
ldsb.net
Available:
ldsb.org
ldsb.us
ldsb.info
ldsb.biz
ldsb.cc
ldsb.tv
ldsb.co.uk
ldsb.org.uk
ldsb.ca
ldsb.cn
ldsb.bz
ldsb.nu
ldsb.ws
ldsb.tm
ldsb.kids.us
ldsb.com.mx
ldsb.com.cn
ldsb.org.cn
ldsb.net.cn

stubar
12-10-2003, 08:50 PM
I have had some calls from groups in my area that used your free account but cannot afford the new rates for the sites.

www.kentscouts.org.uk is hosted my 34sp.com which hsting starts at £15 a year.

Their email, IRC and forum support is excellent. if anyone has any questions please mail me at stuart at kentscouts.org.uk.

If you decide to try 34sp, please put 'kentscouts' in the referer box.

Stuart
Kent Technology Advisor

mattw
12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
ukreg.com will do a 2 year UK domain (ie .co.uk, .org.uk) for £6.94 inc VAT and everything. Thats who we use because they give you full control of the domain and you dont have to pay to release it.

HTH

Matt

Simon
12-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Pathfinder are offering hosting from £10 for the year. This plan can be accessed at https://www.pathfinderhost.com/step_one.php?gid=6.

There are other plans available with a possibility of a 30% discount on some of the plans when using the code escouts02