PDA

View Full Version : End of an era...

Ross
24-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi All!

I'm just wanting to mention the last ever commercial flight of Concorde - flight BA001/2 from JFK.

I watched today, on BBC 2 the programme dedicated to Concorde's last flight. I feel very sad about the de-commisionning of the British Airways flagship aircraft. It is such a pure delight to watch to fly and its power and grace as it cuts the sky is something to be marveled at.

BA should have tried to keep Concorde alive, but due to economic reasons they had to stop all her flights. And now that Richard Branson wants to buy them, as he "wants a shot of them", will take away the airliners' influence as one of the world's fastest ever vehicles. This piece of engineering genius shows just how far we've come from the days of the Wright brothers.

Take a look at the BBC News Concorde special:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2003/concorde_retirement/default.stm

What do you think about the Concorde and her retirement? Do you think she will have a successor? What do you think about Richard Branson wanting to buy them and use them for Virgin?

Ross

P.S - If you have any photos of Concorde, please post them up!

Dave
24-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Fully agree let Richard Branson have a go. The greatest ever commercial aircraft left to rot when it still has a minimum of 10 years left on the serviceability of the airframe in a criminal offence.

Dave
24-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Having worked around Heathrow for a few years this is something that everyone always stopped to see

Dave

Craig
24-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Just so you know, it definatly is BA002, jsut if your wisihing to get the facts totoally correct

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3209441.stm towards the bottom

Daniel
24-10-2003, 08:09 PM
I watched the final takeoffs and landings on sky news.

Im a young leader in our cub pack, last week me and the leaders took 12 cubs to Manchester Airport for a tour. We were only alowed in public areas due to security reasons.
However, Our tour leader told us they were in talks with BA for a concorde to be at Manchester just as part of a museum they are trying to get up and running.

What a waste of a Brilliant Plane, Why dont they let someone buy them (Richard Branson)? They Could carry on with flights in half the time,
OR, Why dont BA try and build a cheaper version, Technology has moved on and we should be ale to build something like it for a cheaper price, and make it profitable.

Daniel

stuartr
25-10-2003, 09:02 PM
When I was at WINGS 2003 (Windsor International Guide and Scout) we had concorde fly over twice a day (which is quite interesting for someone who live nowhere near an airport). You could hear it coming, sounded completely different from any other plane.

Also, as for whats going to happen, I have heard that our local flight museum (East Fortune Museum of Flight) is trying to get one (donated by the National Museum of Scotland). Which would be nice. However I would also like them to continue, as I never got to fly in one.

Its annoying, some of the most amazing inventions in above ground travel happened before I was born, and now thats one less. (Going into space is one, but going to the moon is one which hasnt been done for ages and ages).

Maybe when I am older and rich, ill change all that....

Ross
26-10-2003, 08:09 AM
If East Fortune is lucky enough to get one of the Concordes, it will probably be one of the best aviation museums in the UK - even the World!

Ross

brindle
26-10-2003, 01:51 PM
On the other hand, the thing was a financial disaster to build and enviromental disaster to operate. The final writing was on the wall after the Paris air crash.

It is interesting to note that both the United States and the former Soviet Union both had similar passenger SST programs going on at the same time as the Anglo - French Concorde project, but both of these where scrapped with the US Boeing designed version never getting off the ground (dropped in favor or the 747) and the Soviet "Concordski" being relegated to an internal flights cargo plane (after it too crashed in Paris at the airshow).

The vast amounts of monies that have been wasted over the years in developing and keeping concorde in the air for an elite few to wizz back and forth between London and NYC would have been far better used in education and health.