PDA

View Full Version : post nuke

Daniel
27-10-2003, 07:58 PM
hi,

is there a way to include a page in a page, i.e. if i create a guest book and put that in to the html content so i still have by blocks and the top of the page still there.

if anyone understands the above could you please post a reply,

thanks

daniel
www.4thgolcarscoutgroup.org.uk

Bloory
27-10-2003, 08:23 PM
There obviously is a way, looking at what the guys have done with the support desk here. I believe content express may have something to do with it?

mattw
27-10-2003, 09:11 PM
if its postnuke is it not just normal PHP code?

if it is then you can use code to the effect of

[code:1]<?php include '../dir/whateverfileulike.txt' ; ?>[/code:1]

and it will include the code into the page, and, if neccessary, parse it back through PHP again.

It is good practice to do this sort of thing with headers etc on your pages cos then only one file need be changed each time you update it, rather than on every page.

hth

Matt

Martyn
27-10-2003, 10:42 PM
What you are trying to do is called serverside includes or SSI for short.

It depends on what server you are using on how they work
Apache/iis etc but they all work the same way picking up a block of text from a file and adding it to the main file (and maybe just dropiing it into html or processing the comands in it).

It depends what you are doing it in on what format you use

Martyn

Richard
27-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Its done using Postwrap:

http://spidean.mckenzies.net/

HTH

Daniel
29-10-2003, 12:30 PM
thanks

only one problem - how do i work it?

i have read the info on the site

Its done using Postwrap:

http://spidean.mckenzies.net/

i have done a test page - linking to escouts
i did what it says and i get a link in at the top of the page, however when i click this escouts starts to load in the page THEN - i get a message

Sorry, you are not allowed to do that.

what have i done wrong - anyone know

thanks

daniel

Daniel
06-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Any ideas

mattw
06-11-2003, 10:35 PM
did my suggestion of just manually including the files where you want them not work?

it may be easiest to create the guestbook and then add parts of your postnuke site as a header and footer (most if not all decent scripts allow you to do this), ie put everything in the code upto the point where you want the guestbook to appear as a header, and everything below that point as the footer - that way it should include it automatically on every page for you.

hth

Matt

Daniel
07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
sorry,

am going to try that soon,

meanwhile i have made a page using post wrap - to www.ichuddersfield.com our local newspaper but the url on there site is correct but it goes to there error page - is this due to there website or mine?

thanks

daniel

Daniel
08-11-2003, 08:56 PM
thanks for your help-
i have now got a guest book on my site using postwrap

sign it if you want www.4thgolcarscoutgroup.org.uk

thanks

daniel