PDA

View Full Version : Parental permission

Graham
01-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi,
What do you people do regarding parental permssion for placing information on your website, sent out a form? place it and hope they don't mind, ask if anyone minds?, Only upload people in scouts?

Cheers

Graham

jamieharrop14
01-11-2003, 09:24 PM
We (or should i say 'I') dont ask for parental permission. I just make sure that there are enough places on the web site for the parents to contact me if they have a problem and also make sure the parents know that we have a web site therefore their son may be on it. I also blur the faces of people under 16.

mattw
02-11-2003, 01:20 AM
as above mainly, if people have a problem they can complain and itll be dealt with, but this has never happened.

Legally you need do nout, as the picture will be copyright the person who took it and so those in it dont have a say as to its use.

As for blurring the faces, we have never done this but then we dont have many photos of younger sections so its not a problem for us.

i know some groups ask you to sign a thing when you join or whatever but really thats all a bit silly and trying to over-hype the internet again - you would go rushing off for parental permission to use a scout in a photo for the paper would you??

Scott
02-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi, I found this useful page: Using images of people: photographs, videos and webcams (http://www.hants.gov.uk/TC/cg/photosintro.html)

It is not directly linked to sdcouting, but it is an extract from the Data Protection Act (1998).

stuartr
02-11-2003, 03:19 PM
oh.....how much fun it must be to be a lawyer.

jamieharrop14
02-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Lol. How much fun it *is* being a scouting web designer. ;)

Martyn
03-11-2003, 12:39 AM
There is a bit about photographs
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs295207.pdf

Matt is right legally you are the copyright owner (If you took the picture)so you can post the picture.

BUT you have to ask permission because of the following reason

If one of the scouts in the picture has be removed from one or both parents and they are able to locate there son or daughter because of a picture you posted on your site you can sued (This has happened to a youth group in London)

Newpapers can do it because they have insurance against this sort of thing happening.

The permission can be 2 way

Opt in - Every parent has to sign a form - b**** Nightmare to administer

Opt Out - You have to be sure that the parent knows you may be taking and using pictures - so every Document you send them PC forms/Joining instructions - as much as you can

Data Protection Act - This would only come into effect if the person was clearly identifiable - When I looked into this lots of organisations do things differently
Some require Forms and signatures others just verbal permission
But the data is not obtained unlawfully - you have already asked
It's not sensitive data,you are processing it correctly - So it should not apply

1 thing I find amusing about Data protection
I was told that we don't need to register as a data controller as we don't hold sensitive data (Like relegon/Race, political details, sexual details)

Then when it comes round to cenus time they ask for the racial mix of the members - I put last year (That upset the district secretary) That I have no record of this

Martyn

Going on and on again !

Martyn

rosschapman
03-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi, I found this useful page: Using images of people: photographs, videos and webcams (http://www.hants.gov.uk/TC/cg/photosintro.html)

It is not directly linked to scouting, but it is an extract from the Data Protection Act (1998).

I used this as a basis for a form given to the parents at the beginning of term. I thought it was better to put something in writing. I've blurred faces on kids whose parents said 'no' to images of their children, as its impossible not to include good snaps on the site.

Agreeing with Matt and others that its pants, but for our particular parents it was vital :shock: Its paired with a Data Protection form (Scouting Essentials) which does give you the right of using photos in local newspapers. Also, I wouldn't bother with older Explorers or Network.

Graham
03-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your replies, I'll see how it goes at troop meetings!

Graham

scolliss
04-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi, The above are all technically correct and give you a number of options. My approach is slightly different. On out Networks site everyone is over 18 so are capable of complaining themselves. Any objectors are removed, though I have not had any in the past 2-3 years.

Our other site, Roverang.co.uk does contain pictures of minors and we write to ALL parents advising that photo's will be taken and their children may end up on our web site (although not identified by name). The onus is on the parents to advise ME if they do not want pictures of thier children on the web. I will then respect thier wishes.