PDA

View Full Version : Website Rules Discussion (locked)

Martyn
30-10-2003, 09:08 AM
OK it's been a week and 58 people have looked at the post and not replied so the guidelines must be perfect

Martyn

stuartr
30-10-2003, 10:58 AM
just skimmed over it, and it looks a lot better than the previous version. But really, most people here regard it just as a "guideline", and as such nothing which should be followed strictly. Has good ideas of course, but they are just common sense.

mattw
30-10-2003, 06:14 PM
well thats a novel concept if ever i heard one.

i havent replied cos i have said it a million times before, and in any case it the fact that people think they are rules that is just comically petty, and that they exist in the first place which i think is stupid.

if you want to know what i said before the board does have a search function you know!

Martyn
03-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Matt,

When I read you post I was a little bit cross so I spent the time going through your posts

This is what I found

Putting Names against Pictures - Is OK cos the newspapers do it

Having unmoderated Bulletin boards is fine because no one because there are loads of bulletin boards that are un moderated

Legally - You don't need a privacy statement or a disclaimer

It does not matter what you stuff on a Scouting web site as long it's amusing ?

Lots of times - they are just common sense -

Photographs - We have never had a problem with anyone not wanting to appear on the site so it's ok

The data protection act does not apply to web sites

as I think something is needed to control what goes on, especially for younger members, but looking seriously at the guidlines I dont think these are the ones,

The rules are just guidelines - You can ignore what you want

Before I take them apart do you want to add anymore
and If anybody else wants to comment thats fine too.

No I have to comment on the last one
Guidelines wll become rules if you continue to break them but when they become rules all the flexibility is gone.

An example of which is form M - I have just looked at 1985 POR (It was a rule then I admit) but, It required the leader to apply a great deal of common sense to be able to take people hill walking.
The only problem is someone did not and someone died - Now we have really exact rules on the subject

Martyn

mattw
03-11-2003, 01:07 PM
can i just take this opportunity to apologise to the friends and families of all those people who have died after visiting the 20th Torbay Scout Group website, i appreciate that its not for the faint hearted.

can i also point out that the quote above i believe to be edited highlights of previous posts i said, taken out of context and re-worded in most cases and so now some of them dont make sense and some of them have been edited to the extent where they barely mean anything close to what i intended originally but nevermind.

do what the hell you want with them though, i couldnt actually care less about them right now and certainly cant be doing with an army of dictators complaining that im breaking some (wait fot it...) GUIDELINES. This is just getting stupid now im afraid, it keeps coming up over and over again and people always say the same things. And how i made you cross i will never know.

hope you read this quick cos i think it may get pulled off the forum, poss for breaking some sketchy guidelines :-D

Martyn
03-11-2003, 07:15 PM
You are only intrested in rules and don't care less about guidelines because they don't mean anything.

Could I also give my commiserations to the families of anyone who died after visting the 20th Torbay Scout Group website.

What did they die of ?
Were they hit on the head while doing climbing not wearing a helmet ?

As it would be common sense to make sure all the pictures of adventurous activities displayed on a website showed that the safety rules are being followed.

Martyn

Dave
03-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I seem to remember that this subject was posted to death a while ago :-D I too made some observations on mattw's site. I think maybe one of the moderators should lock this thread before it gets too personal. mattw had his ideas and ways of doing his site wether it right or wrong.

Dave

Bloory
03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
I think you are right Dave, thread locked.

I think those that understand the guidelines will follow them - at least in spirit if not to the letter - e.g. restricted areas on sites which are full of more "sensitive" data, such as meeting time, details and places for the membership.

If someone has a strong reason for posting to this thread, please PM me and I will unlock it for the duration...