PDA

View Full Version : E:Mail addresses - Something to think about

Martyn
17-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I've been given another bit of advice that I suppose we all should stick to about E:Mail addresses

What your are supposed to do as a Leader is when ever you send an E:Mail to a group of young people (Scouts,Explorers etc) is always send the mail as BCC so if you by mistake send the mail to the wrong sort of person they only get your address not everyone you sent the mail to

I can understand the reasoning but is it over the top ?

Martyn

Daniel
17-11-2003, 09:34 PM
im an explorer but i was not aware of the fact . . .

but i can see where its coming from and i should be used when contacting loads of people - i.e. scouts

hope this helps

daniel

Bloory
18-11-2003, 06:45 AM
The other option, which is more server and probably user friendly is to use a miling list type script. That way recipients have to be confirmed (some of the better scripts allow the admin to validate them) and the server sends one email per recipient.

You may also wish to think about receiving all mail to a script/db (e.g. a helpdesk) then the mails are available for inspection in the event of any allegation.

mattw
18-11-2003, 01:41 PM
well i think youd have to be a right muppet to accidently send email to the wrong address and pretty unlucky that if you did someone who recieved it was dodgey.

That said there are other (real) reasons why you should use the BCC feature, and although we dont do it on the scout website, at uni where there can be some huge mailing lists its common practice because:
- it stops people accidently clicking 'reply all' and annoying everyone on the list with a reply.
- it means that people dont find out the remailer address and so cant spam it with junk on purpose.
- for some odd reason it seems that since we've done this less spam has got itself into the mailing list system, im not sure why this would be the case but i suppose just generally not flashing the addresses all over the place helps.

What we are encouraged to do now is BCC the address of the mailing list and then put your own address in the TO field.

cant see any serious reasons for doing it though, more to reduce annoyance than to stop little kids getting raped or something,

hth

Matt

Bloory
18-11-2003, 08:41 PM
I was less worried about the kids and more worried about being able to protect my own reputation, which comes across horribly, but you know what I mean. In today's world, I take every chance I can to make sure that I can be open and honest about all activities which someone could question me about. No way am I losing everything (job, house, friends, relationship) on the basis of some spiteful accusation from a kid.

Dave
18-11-2003, 08:54 PM
I was less worried about the kids and more worried about being able to protect my own reputation, which comes across horribly, but you know what I mean. In today's world, I take every chance I can to make sure that I can be open and honest about all activities which someone could question me about. No way am I losing everything (job, house, friends, relationship) on the basis of some spiteful accusation from a kid.

I'd second that Jon, I've not worked for years to get where I am now with my mortgage paid and just getting to have some money behind me. Any accusation whether it be total fabrication will stick forever. I live in a very small rural village and it would make mine, my partners and the kids lives untenable. Maybe that is why sometimes I come across as a stick in the mud! In the current climate of litigation etc. everything to do with Scouts now is done by the book.

Dave

Martyn
18-11-2003, 11:52 PM
My Wife who is an ESL - was told in short at a recent Training course

You Break the Rules and something goes wrong - The Scout Assocation will not back you up at all

They were mainly talking about being alone/isolated with a Scout
eg the things like the last Scout you drop off after a weekend - If the last Scout says you did something to him/her - You will get no backing at all from the Scout Assocation.

It's hard to do - but the consequences of breaking the rules are frightening !

Martyn

Steve
28-11-2003, 07:54 PM
I've been given another bit of advice that I suppose we all should stick to about E:Mail addresses

What your are supposed to do as a Leader is when ever you send an E:Mail to a group of young people (Scouts,Explorers etc) is always send the mail as BCC so if you by mistake send the mail to the wrong sort of person they only get your address not everyone you sent the mail to

I can understand the reasoning but is it over the top ?

Martyn

By using the BCc (or a mailing list), then you are protecting the e-mail addresses of all the recipients (the kids). OK - the e-mail should only be going to other kids, but anything could happen to these addresses once they are dispersed over all of the computers that receive the e-mails.

Also consider the scenaria where the home PC is shared - and it's not just the scout that uses the machine, but big brother, step-dad and so-on.

What if some "lark" starts subscribing the addresses to inappropriate mailing lists, or they find their way onto other not-for-kids spamming lists?

Every scouting group have to abide by the Data Protection Act, in which case, I believe the e-mail addresses are also covered by this.

So, IMO this might not be over the top.

There is a guide to the data protection act on scoutbase - if you haven't read it and their one for developing scoutng websites, you should (although I'd read the technical bits of the website one with a large bag of salt!)

Just my UKP 0.10 worth

--
Steve

Martyn
28-11-2003, 11:24 PM
I've been using BCC since this was mentioned to me
- It was one the things -I'd never thought of before

Like lots of things it's not expressed in 'Plain English'

I have read the Data protection stuff and the web site guidelines

The data protection stuff is way to complicated to understand - it's writtern in legalize

It would be so much better to say exactly what you can hold , what you need to tell the parents - What you should not hold - including things like the BCC issue.

Data Protection still confuses people

Me included - eg I'm not allowed to hold info on racial background with out explict permission - so I don't
But every year the SA asks me the racial makup of the Explorer Scouts - They are monitoring Racial equality so are covered - but I'm not so I can't give them that info

The other thing that I have heard of someone doing after reading the dataprotection stuff - is printing out all the info they had and deleting all the orginal files.

With all the stuff it real is common sense in the end - but sometimes common sense needs a push

Martyn