PDA

View Full Version : Join In Centenary Packs - What do you think?

Richard
20-10-2006, 09:36 AM
What's do you think about the join in centenary packs?

This is a public poll, please add opinions to this thread

RichmondDESC
20-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I think they are better than ok, but not as good as fantastic.

One of the main complaints I hear about is lack of program ideas, the JiC pack has loads, most people will find most of them useable.

Our district is using the JiC as a tool to get the groups in our district working together and these packs can certainly help.

They also give the YP something to buy into too, which can't be a bad thing!

Moz
20-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I find it really worrying that 2 people (at time of writing) say they haven't had them yet! They were sent to GSLs/DCs weeks ago. Shows the lack of communication in the Districts that haven't had them.

Richard
20-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I find it really worrying that 2 people (at time of writing) say they haven't had them yet! They were sent to GSLs/DCs weeks ago. Shows the lack of communication in the Districts that haven't had them.

The packs were sent to:

CC's and AC's, DC's and GSL's and some others

You can view them here:

http://www.scouts.org.uk/jic/programme.html

The only thing you are missing from that information is the posters, which frankly arent great, just a calender with some stickers

It's the usual old chesnut of the MMS (Membership Management System) not being up to date, and some groups not having a GSL. If your group hasn't had a pack I'd suggest you get in touch with the Information Centre, asap

Raksha
20-10-2006, 01:56 PM
I have had my pack for a while now, and while I will find the chart useful to book all our activities in, I was disappointed in the content of the booklet. There were no radical new ideas, and do not appear to be as informative as the Thailand stuff that came out last time.
while I will possibly use some things I certainly wont be diving in to it for the whole years programme! Considering the amount of money they hope to raise from joining in scarves and badges, I was expecting something a little better.

Akela Ben
20-10-2006, 01:56 PM
The packs are okay, but its just full of ideas we already do or they are recycled ideas from elsewhere.

Richard
20-10-2006, 02:20 PM
The packs are okay, but its just full of ideas we already do or they are recycled ideas from elsewhere.

Yeah I tend to agree. I suppose though the longer you've been a leader, the more times you see the ideas recycled.

But then I'm sure theres some ideas newer leaders will appreciate and use

Moz
20-10-2006, 02:55 PM
There were no radical new ideas
We've been doing it for 100 years - I'd be surprised if there were any radical new ideas out there!

Personally I fully intend for my Troop's and Unit's programme next year to be almost exactly what is suggested in the packs. I can't see any reason to do other things when there's a programme laid out for you, and it'll be interesting to do the same as others have done. You'll be able to meet people and say, "How did the Explorer beach party go for you?" - and theyll have no doubt done it a totally different way, but both would be worth while.

Testarossa
21-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I haven't had my pack yet, but did use the one online a while ago. Used a few ideas to modify my existing meeting plans to suit the centenery, but no radical changes.

Owain
22-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Our GSL has ordered our scarves and badges, the group is paying for the badges we are, or I should say our parents are paying £5.40 for the scarf.
I hope we do some different stuff than usual, it is a special year, we will never see it again, I would like to see some more rugged programs for us younger scouts.

derekchambers
22-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I have yet to see them

Del

Penny E
22-10-2006, 09:31 PM
My Cubs info pack went to the Scout leader ....

I was again struck by the thin nature of the programmes. I've commented elsewhere that the Stevenage Scout progs, although a fantastic method of planning, and one that I have adopted, wouldn't keep my lot busy for 10 minutes. The principle of a 3 year prog plan (or 1 year plan, for the Jamboree packs) is fine, but the ideas have to be strong enough for 90 minutes.

I like the ideas that come with the Cub supplement each month - they seem to really be planned by leaders for a whole 90 minutes.

The ideas in the Centenary prog feel as though they've been planned by someone sitting in an ivory tower, drinking coffee and saying "ooh - we need an idea for 3rd week of March - what can you think up Doreen?"

They've also not (as far as I can see, anyway) given a summary of exactly which badges the kids will achieve through all these airy fairy ideas - we still have to do all the legwork on that.

So, I vote rubbish, I'm afraid!

Just a reminder for everyone - it's Comic Relief year - THE BIG ONE!

New thread coming up....

Penny E

Penny
24-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I voted they are ok .....but just ok......... i have just sat down and read some of the cub one .......there are some ok ideas that i will probally use as programme fillers, but do they think that the cubs do not want to earn any badges over 2007, yes they will with some of the activities, but we will have to work out what as we do now... would have been great if badge requirements were added in as well..especailly with the launch of the new badges.

derekchambers
24-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately as I am down as SL i dont get to see the cub supplement :-( and as I say yet to see any of these packs

Del

Moz
25-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I was again struck by the thin nature of the programmes...wouldn't keep my lot busy for 10 minutes.
Well they've just provided the ideas - they can't give much detail as we're all different, in varied locations with varied kids and varied resources. I think putting our own local spin on them will be the fun bit.

What we'll do is to get the Explorers in small groups one evening, give them a couple of months each, and get them to say what they like and don't like, and how they'd like to run the ideas.

Below is what I've made of the Explorer pack when converted into our ES programme for next year. As you can see there's a few gaps as some of the ideas are better suited for weekends so this leaves a gap on the weeknight meeting. There's also only 4 ideas per month when some months have 6 weeknights. These gaps are good though as they allow time to fit our own stuff in like a bit of D of E work, Unit forums etc. I think it's an excellent programme...!

8th January ~ Beach Party – should follow a beach stuff collection day
15th January ~ Voice of the Older Generation – speak to Hollies?
Weekend ~ Fun in the Snow – something to do with snow, Snowdome trip?
22nd January ~ Crazy Golf – make at hut
29th January ~ D of E Skills night
5th February ~ Local Links – do something with another youth org
Weekend ~ On this Day in History – visit library and find out
12th February ~ Conservation Cookery – making stoves
19th February ~ Drugs Awareness – guest speaker?
26th February ~ D of E Skills night
5th March ~ Borrowed Art – make hut into art gallery
12th March ~ Drama Queens – make up and perform a play
19th March ~ Circus Skills – juggling, unicycling etc
26th March ~ The Perfect Explorer Scout – exploring personal qualities
2nd April ~ Tricky Trilandathlon 1 – adventurous activity on land
9th April ~ D of E Skills night
Weekend ~ Back to Basics Camp – survival exercise
16th April ~ Blindfold hike – blindfolded ES taken to drop zone, have to get back
23rd April ~ Unit Forum
30th April ~ Tricky Triwaterthlon 1 – adventurous activity on water
7th May
14th May ~ Tricky Trilandathlon 2 – past theme – archery?
21st May
Weekend ~ Centenary Camp
28th May
4th June ~ Voluntary Service Abroad – guest speaker
11th June ~ Chocolate night – quiz, fair trade, cooking etc
18th June ~ Visit a place of worship – different to majority faith
Weekend ~ Tricky Triwaterthlon 2 – rowing/rafting?
25th June ~ International music night – quiz, steel band?
2nd July ~ Global development village
Weekend ~ Virtual Brownsea camp – go back to 1907
9th July ~ Gilwell Adventure – build and use an aerial runway
16th July ~ Volley the splod – volleyball with water balloons
Wed 1st August ~ Scouting’s Sunrise
13th August ~ HoHo? – will any ES be hosting HoHo, if not contact those that are
20th August ~ It’s a Knockout – if still running in August
27th August ~ High point party – all Area ES party on peak
3rd September ~ Environmental damage – visit & photograph evidence
10th September ~ Animal welfare – visit vets or zoo and find out what they do
17th September ~ Tree for all – plant a tree
24th September ~ Tricky Triwaterthlon 3 – sailing, check with sailing club
1st October ~ Cycle treasure hunt – make sure all have bikes, loan from cycle shop
8th October ~ Refugee debate
Weekend ~ Campsite service project – Cae Llwyd?
15th October
22nd October
29th October ~ Halloween party
5th November ~ Balloon debate – present your case to stay in the hot air balloon
12th November ~ Ten Pin Bowling
Weekend ~ Climbing tower in Wrexham Town Centre? – climb 100 times
19th November
26th November ~ Tricky Trilandathlon 3 – team building exercise
3rd December ~ The future’s bright, the future’s Scouting – what will we be in 100 years?
10th December ~ Revisit old friends – back to the Hollies, tell them what we’ve done
17th December ~ Computer Game challenge

Penny E
25-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I think you've got a stronger set of themes to work with Moz.

An example from the Cub programme is "match the animal to their offspring". 17 animals are suggested. This is supposed to be on the theme of "protecting our environment", prog zone the world around us. None of the suggested animals is an endangered species, and a few of them wouldn't defeat the average 3 year old (sheep, cow...).

Frankly that would take my lot 10 minutes max, is not part of any badge that I can think of and doesn't seem to me to be terribly relevant to anything much at all. It certainly doesn't capture my imagination, or sugest a hugely exciting prog for the remaining 80 minutes!

Some of the themes for Explorers (from your post Moz, as they are not online yet) seem quite good for Cubs in fact! I really like the idea of doing "The Perfect Cub Scout".:D

Moz
25-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Frankly that would take my lot 10 minutes max, is not part of any badge that I can think of...
Why does it need to be part of a badge? You're not still planning programmes on badges are you? That went out when the new programme came in, though admittedly it's the Cub Section that is struggling most with this idea. I never even think of badges when planning my programmes and it's great.

The kids have got used to actually coming to Scouts to enjoy themselves and learn things, rather than just to get badges. Yes, they get badges, but these come as a kind of a 'look back at what we've done' than a box ticking exercise.

My advice to all Cub Leaders - move away from the badge book! There's more to programmes than ticking boxes!

from your post Moz, as they are not online yet) seem quite good for Cubs in fact! I really like the idea of doing "The Perfect Cub Scout".:D
Yes they are online. Have been for ages.

Testarossa
25-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I use the badges as a basis for my Beaver programme, especially with the new ones. The Challenge badges are great for basing several meeting programmes on. The behaviour problems we had in the group have disappeared because I can threaten them with not being able to come next week, and that means you might not achieve your badge - works wonders.

By looking at the badges, it gives you so many ideas. With the cub badges, you could run a 4 year rolling programme! I have set up 3 years worth of programmes for the Beavers based mainly, but not solely on the badges.

Kids love badges. It gives them something to look forward to, and a real sense of achievement. Half the time, they don't realise that they have achieved anything until you point it out to them.

shiftypete
25-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Moz, your an ESL of course the Explorers are less bothered by badges and in fact most Explorer badges are impossible to earn just at Unit meetings due to the time commitments involved. However in my experience Cubs just love doing the activities for badges and gaining badges. There is absolutley nothing wrong with planing Cub programmes to ensure you cover some of the badges so long as your doing a balanced programme.

Testarossa
25-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately as I am down as SL i dont get to see the cub supplement :-( and as I say yet to see any of these packs

Del

Derek, the suppliments are online if you want to take a look.

http://www.scouts.org.uk/magazine/OctNov06/supplements.html

Hope this is useful.

Testarossa
25-10-2006, 09:02 PM
And here is the link to the centenary packs, although the hard copies come with calendars etc apparently (not that I've had one yet!!!)

http://www.scouts.org.uk/jic/

Penny E
25-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes Moz, around 80% of what we do is planned with badges "in mind" - and I'm not "still" doing it - I've only been in Scouting for 2 years! It happens to be the way I prefer to do a programme.

My son went through over 5 years of Scouting and had two badges to show for it, which I thought was really sad. He would come back from St. George's Day parade every year and ask why our Group "didn't do badges"! The Cubs are very strongly motivated by badges at their age, and it creates a great sense of healthy competition. In an age when "equality rules" and competition is virtually a dirty word in the educational system it is great for them to have the chance to gain recognition for their achievements.

I plan acccording to badge themes, aiming to do 2-3 each term, then check that we are giving the kids plenty of variety and doing things in lots of different ways. The Scout Assoc would prefer me to call that "Underlying Ways of Working" and the "Balanced Prog", of course, and also claim that I am planning backwards! I know from another thread that lots of people plan using badges, as they find it more logical and purposeful.

The example I quoted is not untypical of some of the rest of the stuff - as Penny says, are the SA really expecting 2007 to be a badge free year? I reckon around 30% - 40% of it could conceivably count as one part of a badge. The end result would be that the Cubs might finish two badges next year and have done random "bits" of a few others.

(Have found the Explorer pages now - I clicked on the wrong thing and it took me to something still under development)

Penny
25-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Why does it need to be part of a badge? You're not still planning programmes on badges are you? That went out when the new programme came in, though admittedly it's the Cub Section that is struggling most with this idea. I never even think of badges when planning my programmes and it's great.

sorry to totally disagree with you Moz........if i told the cubs that we would not be doing any badge work this yr they would all think i had completely lost it. I totally agree with the other Penny that 80% of my programme is planned through badge work.......it did not go out when th new programme came in what it did was add the different zones etc. and if you have a balanced programme then you visit all the programme zone along with badge work in a years programme. As far as i am concerned all sections enjoy earning a badge even our explorer unit......i have just come back form a district conker competition and the cubs were comparing and counting each others badges.
In the new programme zone 'bible' it covers badge work with all the zones.
you said about the scout now come to a meeting to enjoy themselves ......well excuse me cubs do enjoy themselves and earn a badge sometimes without even knowing it....its how you put the programme across !!! and with 36 cubs returning weekly i think i am doing it right ..... so please dont advise people to move away from the badge book.

think i have waffled enough

Moz
25-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Moz, your an ESL of course the Explorers are less bothered by badges...
I'm an SL as well, and my Scouts are actually less bothered by badges than the Explorers! Then again my Scouts do have chest-fulls of badges (not arms fulls as I leave most of the activity badges to them to do, and they usually don't bother) - and this is because of the balanced programme we do.

There is absolutley nothing wrong with planing Cub programmes to ensure you cover some of the badges so long as your doing a balanced programme.
If you do a balanced programme, the badges come automatically, you don't need to bear them in mind when planning.

I'm not saying that CSLs shouldn't think about badges at all, just that for far too long that's all some of them have thought about, and the kids have been coming along in their numbers, but just to bag badges. We have to stop and think about the quality of the programme, and this is not measured by how many badges kids get.

My son went through over 5 years of Scouting and had two badges to show for it, which I thought was really sad. He would come back from St. George's Day parade every year and ask why our Group "didn't do badges"! The Cubs are very strongly motivated by badges at their age, and it creates a great sense of healthy competition. In an age when "equality rules" and competition is virtually a dirty word in the educational system it is great for them to have the chance to gain recognition for their achievements.
Penny I agree that it's really sad that your son didn't get many badges. I'm not saying that he shouldn't. But why didn't he? Was it because the programme wasn't up to it, or because the Leader didn't have time to do the paperwork required to work out which badges he deserved? The later is very important, and I make sure I sit down now and again and work it out. That's why my Scouts have lots of badges, without me ever thinking about them when planning.

We all have different ways of planning programmes, and that's cool, it's just my opinion that too many Leaders say that kids want badges when it's actually the parents and Leaders who are more concerned because they were brought up in an age when Scouts=badges.

Penny E
25-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I have to disagree that planning a balanced programme alone produces badges - it does not! My son was doing a good variety of stuff at Cubs, but none of it really added up to badges. Hence he didn't get any! he would do a bit of art one week, some map reading another, play football another. Yes, he had 36 fun meetings each year, but none of it ever turned into badges because no badge ever got completed! A classic example was the Science badge - they grew seeds one term and made a compass with a cork another term, then went on a nature walk to collect seeds another term. All good fun, and great Scouting stuff, but it only fulfilled half the requirements for the badge, so he never completed it.

The reason your Scouts are less bothered by badges than Explorers is because they already have armfuls of them, whatever form of planning you used. Our Scouts still aren't earning the badges they ought to, but now they've got wind of the fact that we are part way through some of them, the nagging is relentless!

As for the Cubs, yes, the parents like their children to get badges, and but it is the kids that love them most of all. Every child who gets a badge for doing something outside of Cubs is given the chance to talk to the pack about how they earned it, so that the others are inspired by what they hear. The clamour for copies of the badge requirements after each one of those talks is deafening. Is that really the parents and the Leaders tugging at Akela's sleeve? When we forgot to give one Cub his 2 year award, and he followed me round the room all night reminding me, and posted a note in the register for me to find when I got home. That wasn't Mum, Dad or me - he wanted what was due to him!!!

And, as the other Penny says, 36 Cubs and a waiting list of 5 can't be wrong.... ;)

Testarossa
25-10-2006, 11:15 PM
My daughter was in Guides for a year and had one badge to show for it - she was really upset as at Brownies she had her sash filled with badges and no more space to put any more.

She is now in Scouts, and was invested 2 weeks ago. She has started her Meteorology badge and is chuffed to bits to be earning badges again.

We have 2 Beaver Colonies in our Group. The Monday Leaders didn't do badges and we did. We now have a situation where those Leaders have left, and I am covering both. We did a joint sleepover last weekend, and the Monday lads were complaining that they didn't have any badges, so why have the Saturday lads got an armful? I've managed to award them 2 with what they have already covered, but mine have done 2 staged badges, and 3activity badges as well as the 3 Challenge badges at 1 per term.

It is exactly the same at District events when one group of kids have badges and the others don't. They feel like they haven't achieved as much and that isn't fair.

The Monday group have had a reasonably balanced programme, but have not earned badges to the same degree. It is possibly anotehr reason why there are only 6 of them left!!

PeterSheppard
28-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Moz - perhaps you could post the "Holiday Badge requirements" sketch from this weekend for all to see :thup:

keef.63
11-11-2006, 11:03 AM
centenary packs? they are out to districts? dcs and gsls have them ?
not our gsl!

HOW DO WE CHANGE DISTRICT?

shiftypete
11-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Finally got hold of our centenary packs. They aren't exactly earth shattering, there are a few decent ideas in there however most are either fairly unrealistic ideas or things we already do or have done.

Rick
13-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Been reading through the pack over the last few weeks - and don't get me wrong, they are ok, but I've got a horrible feeling all of this stuff from London will be wasted as people do their own things.

I felt that happened with the 2000 literature.

Alec
17-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Seems I'm a bit late here, but I'll put my view forward anyway...

Firstly as someone who has never been a leader before, it is hard to appreciate how helpful a programme resource like this can be. But I've read the Explorer JIC online. It seems to have lots of original ideas, I love the beach party in the winter! It's that kind of wacky idea that can get us noticed.

We have just set up our Unit and our Explorer Leaders have said that they won't run the programme, it is up to us to run the activities. I fully agree with this, but our district was slightly slow in getting the packs out to us. In fact a few weeks ago, I asked my Leader if he had received the pack, and he didn't even know what i was talking about. This isn't his fault, but perhaps it highlights some of the communications problems in our district!

I've also read through the younger sections JIC because I'm hoping to be a Young Leader in the new year, so hopefully I'll be running some of those programmes. Again there seem to be some well themed, original ideas.

As our DC pointed out recently, when we watched the 2007 DVD which came with the last issue of Scouting magazine, all of the activities shown are being done outside. He stressed to our leaders to try and do as much outside as possible. To extend this further, I also think it is important that we do a lot of our events in public, to get seen by everyone!

samwillis
30-03-2007, 09:17 PM
We are very happy to take ideas from the pack and incorporate into our Beavers' programme -
It would be a shame if after all the work that someone somewhere has put into it, if we don't use the resource in some way and I like the idea of comparing interpretations of the programme..

Skip Ian
31-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Just to point out that not everyone here is an experianced Scouter. The programme is great for those with no experiance of Scouting.

The idea that the programme is stale is odd as new Scouts come every year and should get the chance to do the tried and tested programmes of yester year. My Scouts and Parents love the fact that our programme builds on my repetitions of past programmes. Each time a little more involved buiding on experiance. Didnt get to vote but

Borderline O:K fantastic.