PDA

View Full Version : Hike stoves

Chris
15-03-2004, 10:41 AM
We are running a night on the best hike stove, i was woundering if there was any ifo on the web, has anyone found any good links?

Bloory
15-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi Chris :)

One of my favourite ways of discovering the "best" is to conduct a "Which report". Get some scales and weigh the stove, time to boil 1 lirte of water, list features, cost/cost of fuel availability of fuel etc. I normally do this as a round robin activitiy in that there are perhaps six stoves and each patrol has say 20 minutes to evaluate each. I normally provide some little activity to amuse the Scouts whilst the water boils...

watfords
16-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey,

thats sounds like a great evening idea, can you let me know how you get on with it and then might try this with my troop.

Thanks Greg

Chris
17-03-2004, 09:42 AM
The basic aim of the night was to make the explorers think about what type of stove they may want to take with them when there up in the hills.

If you can get hold of as many different types of stoves as you can, it can make for a good evening.

We showed them the basic principles of each type of stove, ie
The safety of each stove
What the different fuels are, and the draw backs
How to light them
What to do if the stove goes out of controle
How long it takes to boil the same amount of water for each stove.

I prefer the Trangia with a gas converta, you can't tip them over, your pans stay ontop and they are easy to control, it also boils water in half the time of meths.

You could spend a few weeks on stoves, from choosing a stove, maintaining, and effective cooking on a stove.

Sorry About my bad spelling

It would be nice to see more scouting posts on this site and not just computers, there is no where on scout base to post program ideas, and we all need new ideas once and a while.

Bloory
17-03-2004, 07:30 PM
It would be nice to see more scouting posts on this site and not just computers, there is no where on scout base to post program ideas, and we all need new ideas once and a while.

Here here! I'll try my best to make more posts! :)