PDA

View Full Version : pdf files

Dave
30-11-2002, 09:03 AM
How do you link into and put pdf files onto a website? Are they up loaded as a seperate file and then linked from the page you want.

Dave

philcole
30-11-2002, 12:36 PM
PDFs can be linked in the same way that any other document can be - by using the <a href="somesuch.pdf">link text</a> construct.

Whether the pdf file is displayed 'within' the browser, opened externally or just saved to disk depends on whether the user has a pdf reader installed and their browser.

PDF files can be created on the fly too - see resources like www.webmonkey.com for details (look in the PHP section...)

Phil

Bloory
30-11-2002, 02:30 PM
We wil lbe providing the facility to create on the fly pdfs n the new server :multi

eastleigh
18-12-2002, 07:44 PM
You could try http://www.webxd.com/zipguy/freepdf.htm for creating PDF files for free. :)

It's quite a convoluted setup, but uses freeware packages to create a printer port which you send files through, and hey presto, a pdf file. :cool:

I use it to create 'read-only' copies of our district directory, but anything you can send through a printer will come out as a .pdf file.

Bloory
18-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Have you also seen www.20thdundee.org.uk? Tony has 1/2 got the creation of pdfs on the fly working...

Dave
19-12-2002, 07:19 AM
That is really very good. I want it !! Now all we need is how to do it.
As to PDF files I've got Acrobat 5 and so can creat PDFs OK it just how to get them to open in a website.
Dave

eastleigh
21-12-2002, 08:26 PM
OK it just how to get them to open in a website

If I understand what you are getting at, you should just be able to click on it and the thing opens. Have a look here (http://www.eastleigh-scouts.org.uk/sample.pdf)

Some people's setup will try and open a new window, and others will open the page within their browser. There is a setting for this, but I can not remember what it is. I'll check on my work's intranet on monday morning, because we have just had the same question on there.

Bloory
22-12-2002, 11:17 AM
I thought I'd quickly share the following with you:

www.pdf995.com

I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a download.

tony
24-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Have you also seen www.20thdundee.org.uk? Tony has 1/2 got the creation of pdfs on the fly working...

Actually it did work fully ...

The idea is that you can save the details of Permission to Camp forms by allowing the leaders to enter the details and then printing them out, or allowing the Scouts to view the appropriate pages/PDFs in case they lose them!

It works well, using a simple text file to store an FDF - think of it as the data used to populate a PDF.

So the form writes a text file in the form of an FDF and then puts a link from the events pages to the FDF.

When the FDF is opened, it refers to a PDF and fills in the data in the PDF before it is displayed.

If anyone would like my code, feel free to ask.

(That is, as soon as I have got to grips with the new servers. One month is Thailand is too long to remember all this stuff!)

Tony

Bloory
24-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I'd like the code please :D

marcus
10-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Yes, PDF995 is good (JAWS pdf creator came on the front of PCPlus over christmas and that's even better in my humble opinion.

If you are a glutten for punishment you can also get a program that translates PostSWcript files into pdfs, can't remember what it was called offhand but you needed ghostview as well.