PDA

View Full Version : Which Centenary Camp are you going to?

Richard
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Which Centenary Camp are you going to?

curtisuk
08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I am organising our district camp in may and numbers are 300+ out of 900 in the district

jshirra
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
got the letter tonight for the district one! first one through so that's the one I'll aim for

Kastor
08-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Struggling to get to any at the moment, both Scouts and Cubs are doing their own thing, Beavers left out in the cold as usual.

Penny
08-03-2007, 11:31 PM
we are doing a group camp for 3 nights with the beavers sleeping the sat night

MikeLeonard
09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
We've got our Centenary 5 district camp on the 4-7th May!

We have planned a camp for our cubs and scouts over the weekend everyone elses is. We will also go to a theme park on the Saturday.

shiftypete
09-03-2007, 12:33 AM
We are going to be part of the 600+ people from our District going to the Central Yorkshire Centenary Camp which is being held at Bramham Park (where the Leeds festival is now held). There are 7 other Districts going so it should be a massive camp and hopefully a great experience to mark the Centenary for all involved.

scolliss
09-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Where is the "Oversea's" option? There are thousands going to Kandersteg and a large UK contingent is included in that. ;)

phil_cole
09-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Where's the 'other' option?

We're taking the Explorers to assist the service team at the local site. It's a District Camp, but not ours. We're making a Unit camp out of it...

Phil

John Simpson
09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I would have liked to go on our district camp but i feel the organization to be very poor i feel that they have catered for cubs and beavers but have lost the plot when it comes to scouts
i have been to planning meetings but when i have a say about what i feel they are doing they say i am been negative i would have like my scouts to go cannoing archery shooting backwoods cooking pioneering quad bikes scuba diving and all we seem to have is a splash area (big paddling pools) and bouncy things (at a ridiculous price)

alterego1981
09-03-2007, 09:17 AM
My troop are going to Hampshire 007 centenary camp in the new forest

Skip.Craig
09-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I’m organising My Groups Centenary camp we are having the Scouts and Cubs camping all weekend and Beavers staying Overnight either Friday or Saturday, as there is limited space we need to use both nights, but day activities will be open to all the Beavers

The Group Exec have been invited to hold an open air / Marque AGM on the Saturday night with BBQ cooked by Scouts, this gets most parents on site and there for the fire beacon lighting in the evening

I do hope I have not missed anything or anyone.......lol

Penny E
09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Right now it looks like none, as our County camp is on the half-term/bank holiday weekend in May, and no-one's interested!

Can't leave it that way though, so it'll have to be a Group camp in September.

Akela Ben
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I know we have a district centenary camp, but no one has bothered to let me know anything about it. That's district communicatios for you. But I have found out the info and the cost is extortionate, its all aimed towards the scouts and its being held on the weekdays of half term. Which means we can't take the time off work. But anyway, knowing what our district is like, we had decided to do our normal summer camp in August and make it our own big centenary celebration.

jabberdabber
09-03-2007, 01:05 PM
We're doing our own group camp in september, and attending District camp in July - both have been in planning for a loooong time now and both seem to be making good progress, will hopefully give the beavers cubs and scout soemthing to really remember the year by...

Raksha
09-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I have Scouts going to the District Scout centenary camp, we are having a Group Centenary camp in June, and the Scouts are going to H007 in the summer. The Group camp is all sections Fri & Sat with Beavers joining us on the Sat and sleeping over. Also the RN summer camp is being classed as a centenary camp as well - does this mean that if some-one goes to all 4 events they can wear 4 centenary camp badges?:D

tomahawk
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Our district has arranged an event for all sections. The trouble is the cost - we are the poor county mice of our very affluent district. And we are being asked for £25 per child for a day out/sleepover. Most of our kids are council estate/key worker families. We are already planning evenings on the cheap just to subsidise this, and Im looking to opt out of certain bits just so we can keep costs under £10 per child.

I do wonder if our district has lost the plot or indeed if its all becoming rather elitist. The Billy's and Britneys of this world will never get these opoortunities outside Scouts, whereas the Tarquins and Madelaines probably go out with the aupair most weekends.... :D

Testarossa
09-03-2007, 01:46 PM
We are having a group camp in May.

However, I am really disappointed in our County. They are organising a big camp over the summer. Originally we were told it would be for a week, but those who wanted could go for one night for Sunrise.

Now, it's Monday to Friday, but no toilet facilities or water on site other than the 2 Sunrise days, and no one can go for the day, so Beavers are now having to go from 11am Tues til 6 pm Wednesday, sleeping in a marquee (yep, under canvas!!!!!). This apparently has been approved by Gilwell. SO, rules get broken when it suits.

This means that most of our leaders cannot attend. Over 50% work for themselves and don't therefore get annual leave, or have a boss to ask nicely for the 2 days off.

I don't get it! They have made it so difficult for us to attend. If you don't arrive by 11am on Tuesday, you won't be allowed on site. DUH!

Am I being unreasonable here?

shiftypete
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
That does sound pretty badly organised. How can you have a week long County camp without on site toilet facilities and water?

Kastor
09-03-2007, 02:28 PM
does this mean that if some-one goes to all 4 events they can wear 4 centenary camp badges?:DOnly if they can get a loan to pay for them :D

Kastor
09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Beavers are now having to go from 11am Tues til 6 pm WednesdayMy understanding of it is that is illegal unless the parents are present. It is the Childrens Act not Gilwell that says under 8's can't be away from their parents for more than 24hrs.

Are the parents going to be present at some point to break the 24hrs?

Keith
09-03-2007, 02:54 PM
My understanding of it is that is illegal unless the parents are present. It is the Childrens Act not Gilwell that says under 8's can't be away from their parents for more than 24hrs.

Are the parents going to be present at some point to break the 24hrs?Thats true. We only have them for 23 yours on camp so that theres enough time for parents to collect.

For my groups centenary camp, we have had to arrange the activities around when the beavers can go.

Raksha
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Our district has arranged an event for all sections. The trouble is the cost - we are the poor county mice of our very affluent district. And we are being asked for £25 per child for a day out/sleepover. Most of our kids are council estate/key worker families. We are already planning evenings on the cheap just to subsidise this, and Im looking to opt out of certain bits just so we can keep costs under £10 per child.

I do wonder if our district has lost the plot or indeed if its all becoming rather elitist. The Billy's and Britneys of this world will never get these opoortunities outside Scouts, whereas the Tarquins and Madelaines probably go out with the aupair most weekends.... :D
Put in a request for a grant to District to allow your Group to attend!! That might wake them up a bit to your circumstances. If necessary, get your local Childcare Partnership people (do you have a childrens centre in your area?) to produce the figures to prove area of need. Speak to the DC and say if the cost doesn't come down, then you cannot get all your people there and won't that be a shame that hte whole District won't be able to attend. May be worth a go.

wolfie
09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
We have a District Camp all our youngsters can take part in from 25-27th May. Beavers for a day I think, and others camp all weekend. Cost is £10 for the day. £30 for the weekend inc all activities and food. Should be fun:)

And then we have a Big Beaver Sleepover (around the world in 24 hours) for all Beaver Scouts in the District,over 2 nights. Then a County Beaveree too.

I have to say I think our District are doing a great job of it all:)

Our Scout Troop are going to Norway for 10 days in school term time in July (27 Scouts, 5 YLs and 6 adults) to join 500 Oslo Scouts in a special camp on an island in the Oslo Fjord

Daniel
09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
We are attending the District camp, its Cubs, Scouts and Explorer scouts from Friday till Monday.

Beavers attending on the Saturday for the day. (or is it sunday)

Testarossa
09-03-2007, 11:33 PM
My understanding of it is that is illegal unless the parents are present. It is the Childrens Act not Gilwell that says under 8's can't be away from their parents for more than 24hrs.

Are the parents going to be present at some point to break the 24hrs?

Right, this is a complete **** up. I have today received a leaflet which states that the 31 hour camp has been approved by Gilwell for the Beavers. I was pretty peed off as I don't particularly want the responsibility of the Beavers for that long, and NO, parents are not allowed on site at all during the camp.

However - the whole damn camp has been cancelled now - for everybody. I heard this at the District meeting tonight. Talk about disorganised. It is cancelled because they haven't had enough interest. How can we apply for places when we only got the info today?????:mad:

So, now we are looking at a District Sunrise day. I put forward the Alton Towers suggestion, although Conkers and American Adventure also came up.

Raksha
10-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I am not suprised you are cross!

shiftypete
10-03-2007, 01:05 AM
However - the whole damn camp has been cancelled now - for everybody. I heard this at the District meeting tonight. Talk about disorganised. It is cancelled because they haven't had enough interest. How can we apply for places when we only got the info today?????:mad:
This is why for our County Centenary Camp basic info was given out in October with initial applications requested for before Christmas and final applications by the end of Feb. So the organisers knew there was the support to run the camp and had time to make all the necessary arrangements for running a very large camp.

This is about the first time in about a decade that I have been impressed by something that our County has organized mind. Hopefully the camp will impress me as well

Richard
10-03-2007, 01:56 AM
This is why for our County Centenary Camp basic info was given out in October with initial applications requested for before Christmas and final applications by the end of Feb. So the organisers knew there was the support to run the camp and had time to make all the necessary arrangements for running a very large camp.

This is about the first time in about a decade that I have been impressed by something that our County has organized mind. Hopefully the camp will impress me as well

Speaking as someone who is organising a centenary camp.

You are making some very heavy financial decisions early on. Site hire, toilet hire the list goes on. It really depends on how confident you are of support.

The last big camp I organised, I got financial commitments early on, organising something for my Area is a different ball game.

I really need almost everyone to come for a start!!! Also I'm having to be patient about details of and money from the young people.

The problem with having bookings so far in advance is that is too far ahead for some people.

Testarossa
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
That's true, but if the information had been available, they'd have had a better response. It is the chopping and changing of details that has confused everyone. We were going (Scout group) for the week. When they changed it to Monday to Friday, we had to find another venue. Scouts and Cubs then planned to join county for the day with Beavers going for a sleepover. With the information and application forms arriving the same day as they cancelled it, I'm not surprised they'd had no applications!

West Hull DESC
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Humberside Scout County have taken over Driffield Showground for the weekend at end of May. Approx 1000 going even Beavers are having a sleepover in the barn.

MikeGH
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
NO, parents are not allowed on site at all during the camp.

And there was me always being very open with parents about them always being welcome to come along and see what they're children are doing...

Sorry, we're taking them away for 48 hours and you're not allowed contact or to know what they're doing...nice

shiftypete
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I suspect that this is more to do with traffic and parking as with a large camp if everyone's parents turned up and wanted to park there would be utter chaos.

Simon Pinches
10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
My Explorers will be attending BABJAM 2007 in Coventry, Places were initially offered to local groups, But because the campsite can hold more people than we have in our district, we have opened up the bookings to groups from other counties.
Visit www.babjam2007.org.uk for more details.

Klaynos
10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Exeter I'm told have the full run of bicton college's grounds for a weekend, beavers doing a sleepover, all cubs and scouts are camping. Just a shame about the site imo...

dragonhhjh
10-03-2007, 10:50 PM
We are going to be part of the 600+ people from our District going to the Central Yorkshire Centenary Camp which is being held at Bramham Park (where the Leeds festival is now held). There are 7 other Districts going so it should be a massive camp and hopefully a great experience to mark the Centenary for all involved.

Woo! Me too!

samiswright
11-03-2007, 11:01 AM
GLMW are camping at Chalfont Heights.
at teh last count there were 2500 campers expected.
the cost is £30 for BS, CS, S, ES and other children £20 for adults
this camp is running from the 25th - 28th May and all onsite activities are included in that price.
there are offsite activities being offered as well and tese cost about £10 per activity but do include activities such as water skiing and horse riding.

i have been put in charge of running the counties Jamboree contingent camp for 70 people and we have been given the task of running an activity for all the campers on the saturday night. any widegame ideas for 2500 people!!!!!!

should be a great camp though

Alec
11-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm part of the GLMW Jamboree Unit, and so I'll be at the camp described by Sam above.

I didn't realise that there would be quite so many camping though! Very impressive attendance figures!

I believe that the full list of offsite activities is as follows: Canoeing, Sailing, Wind Surfing/Wobble Boards, Raft Building, Dry Ski lessons, Snowboard lessons, Narrow boat, Water skiing, golf driving range, horse riding.

As Sam mentioned above though, these are not included in the price. You can do up to four activities (two on Saturday and two on Monday), although obviously that would make the overall price of the weekend too high, so people will probably only do a couple. There will be onsite activities for all those not doing the offsite bits as well.

Sam, have they specifically said a wide game? And how long is the activity meant to last for?

wolfie
11-03-2007, 12:11 PM
i have been put in charge of running the counties Jamboree contingent camp for 70 people and we have been given the task of running an activity for all the campers on the saturday night. any widegame ideas for 2500 people!!!!!!

should be a great camp though

Nope - but what about a Sock Trail? Ours always goes really well, is so simple - and can be used for 10 people or thousands (I'm repsonsible for our District Sunrise event and will be running one as part of the fun)

samiswright
11-03-2007, 04:38 PM
yeah we are running a wide game and i think it will last about 1 hour
although i was very bored at that point in the meeting (even though i am organising the camp!!)
you will find out more at the next meeting (April i think)

samiswright
11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Nope - but what about a Sock Trail? Ours always goes really well, is so simple - and can be used for 10 people or thousands (I'm repsonsible for our District Sunrise event and will be running one as part of the fun)

What is a sock trail and how could we run one??
would it be suitable for beavers, cubs, scouts and explorers all at te same time??

Alec
11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm afraid no ideas spring to mind (of stuff that we've done in the past).

I'd guess that things like the 'collect all of the badges' games wouldn't work, because you can't have 2500 people chasing only a few people around a field.

I think that coming up with a wide game suitable for all ages is hard. In addition, won't both of the fields at Chalfont be taken up by tents? So, the playing area will be very hard to define.

Do you know if it will be early evening (ie light) or in the dark?

I suppose at least you'll have 70 of us to help run it, but having so many people involved will probably make it a nightmare to keep track of who's doing what.

wolfie
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
What is a sock trail and how could we run one??
would it be suitable for beavers, cubs, scouts and explorers all at te same time??

Well the good news is you can run it for all, or by Section...

The Basics are:

- get a load of clean socks (those odd ones from the washing machine are always handy!)
- decide how many socks you want to fill - so you could just fill say 25 for each Section (use a different colour for each Section) or up to 100 or more for everyone (and then colour doesn't matter)
-number the socks (so you could attach a label, sew the number on or write it on with a laundry marker)
- then put 1 single different thing in each sock. You can use almost anything so here's just a few examples: a lego brick, a paperclip, a battery, a straw, a hairgrip, a keyring, a pencil sharpener, a ring, a screw, a washer, a small spanner, a deflated balloon.
-make sure you keep a list of what is in each sock!
- then sew across the top of the sock (so people can't cheat!), you can sew a piece of ribbon or string in ready to hang them up with
- hang the socks up anywhere and everywhere but NOT in numerical order. (so could be on trees, tents, under chairs, table legs etc etc)
-ideally don't hang them up too early so people can't get a head start:)
-when you're ready hand out a sheet with boxes and all the relevant numbers on, with a space for people to write their own or their team name / contact number in. Make sure you have pens or ask people to bring them along
-clipboards are handy but you don't really need them, or you can improvise with a piece of cardboard
-they have to work out what is in each sock by feeling it
- make sure people know when entries have to be back by
as they are not in numerical order people can go off in all directions, but they have to find them all
- collect entries, mark, and award prizes. If there's a tie draw from those entries at random.

Well I did say that was the basics. You can then add in more things.
-So you could have an extra prize for the first team back to X with all the right answers (and if they aren't all right you don't tell them which are wrong and they have to go and check them)
- add a password to a sock and a note that says remember me at number X. Then when they get to number X they have to use the password to get to the sock (so maybe have in a tent with someone on the door as sentry)
-make them work to feel a sock by say apple bobbing first, put it at the top of a climbing tower, put the sock in a locked box with they key on a float in the bottom of a short empty vertical tube. they have to fill with water to get teh key to flaot to open the box to feel the sock...
- so if you colour code it by Section you can have simple things for the Beavers and harder ones for the Explorers if you want.

Hope that all makes sense???????

Once they have all finished people always like to know what the right answers were so put a list up somewhere.

Raksha
11-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh I love it! What a brilliant idea! Where did you find that one?

wolfie
11-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh I love it! What a brilliant idea! Where did you find that one?

My former boss had a party a few years back to celebrate a big birthday. One of the things they'd done to amuse people was an indoor sock trail of about 20 socks. So beiing a good Scouter I thought "what a great idea" and just modified it for our use.:banana:

We've run it at least 3 times since and it's always gone down well:)

Heron
12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
The Sock trail... brilliant idea... I like it... thanks

JeanieJ
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
We're going to the Greater Manchester East County camp at Linnet Clough at the end of May. Saw the CC up there this weekend and the numbers are already over 2000!!! We'll need multi-storey tents at this rate. It's going to be brilliant!

Scattymare
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
carmarthenshire county camp.......... approx 300+ yp's camping in hostoric setting on an SSSI! plus leaders beavers coming on saturday but not for camping!

RedSquirrel
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
and me..with my pink sleeping bag..and tutu...

Scattymare
12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
argh well someone has to be controlled lmao

shiftypete
20-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I am glad to see there aren't many entries in the none section so hopefully most members will get to experience a Centenary Camp in one form or another

Klaynos
20-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I am glad to see there aren't many entries in the none section so hopefully most members will get to experience a Centenary Camp in one form or another

My groups going to district, but I found out about a week ago that my exams start the tuesday after, so I'm now in the none section :'(

gingerdaniel
25-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm Bar Manager for H007 which is being held in The New Forest!

check out www.h007.org.uk for more!

Simon Pinches
25-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm Bar Manager for H007 which is being held in The New Forest!

check out www.h007.org.uk for more!

Your profits are gonna go through the roof, I'm coming to H007,

Raksha
25-03-2007, 11:10 PM
looking forward to meeting you Daniel and Simon! Daniel, can I put in my order now to save queuing????

Kastor
26-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I should be at H007 as well. Do we get a discount for buying in bulk?! :beer:

26-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Ummm...I cant vote there is no World Scout Jamboree option :(

shiftypete
26-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Well given Centenary Camps are suggested to take place in May and the Jamboree is in August then the Jamboree isn't really considered a Centenary Camp (i.e. participants should be able to go to a Centenary Camp as well as the Jamboree)

Raksha
26-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I should be at H007 as well. Do we get a discount for buying in bulk?! :beer:
Come and find us, will let you know which sub camp we are on when I know.

27-03-2007, 07:03 PM
A well that would be our district camp in May then! Thanks

Arkelar
30-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi
Would be great to meet as many people as possible at H007. I know which Sub Camp I'm in as I'm the Sub Camp Leader for Oceania (Cubs). You are all welcome to visit our Embassy and get your passport stamped.

It's going to be a fantastic week - I think I might need a holiday to recover!

Vanessa

wavydavy
30-03-2007, 09:10 AM
We're doing our own group camp May Bank Holiday weekend... We feel the cost of the district camp is a little steep to say the least!! Thinking of going back to basics to give the kids something to remember.. Anybody got any other good ideas to make this years camps top any other?

MikeJ
30-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm going to our districts jamboree camp which is called SAMJAM (Sittingbourne & Milton Jamboree)