PDA

View Full Version : Financing Escouts

Dave
13-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Chatting to Jon last night is comes to light that for the paultry sum of £500 a year the Escouts service could be better than ever. At the moment the Escouts cost about £2 a year per site that is hosted. Is that cheap or what. I would like to suggest that some of the regulars who avail ourselves of the Escouts service that we do something to repay Jon for all his very hard work in running Escouts. I wouldn't want to see the Escouts service going towards having to pay, as that would go against the whole ethos of what Escouts is all about. You people out there in cyber land must have contacts that would say sponsor the service, anyone work for one of the big computor companys? I think that between us all we should be able to raise that sort of money.
Yout thoughts and comments and cash please
Dave

Bloory
13-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Just to say there are no plans to introduce charges or to terminate the Escouts service.

Dave and I were discussing the fact that the net cost of Escouts is around £400 per year, based on present numbers.

Any thoughts on meeting these costs would be appreciated... :-P

Ross
13-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Could we not ask a large computing co. for sponsors:

Microsoft (i think they have a charity program)

IBM (do a lot for Greenock, near where I stay - wouldn't know about us, though..)

Any more ideas? Maybe Asda or Tesco? Woolworths, Marks & Spencers?

Ross

Ross
13-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Check out

http://www.microsoft.com/giving/Home.asp

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

These are just quick examples - haven't read any yet.

Ross

Dave
13-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Just to say there are no plans to introduce charges or to terminate the Escouts service.

Dave and I were discussing the fact that the net cost of Escouts is around £400 per year, based on present numbers.

Any thoughts on meeting these costs would be appreciated... :-P

Thanks for that Jon
I hope that it didn't come across too much like that.

Bloory
13-12-2002, 08:28 PM
It didn't come across like that, but I want people to be assured that Escouts is sticking around.

Ross
13-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Jon

Take a look at these sites for Marks & Spencers:

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thecompany/ourcommitmenttosociety/community/
http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thecompany/ourcommitmenttosociety/community/how_to_apply/guidelines.shtml
http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thecompany/ourcommitmenttosociety/community/how_to_apply/how_to_apply.shtml

I think this looks quite good, because i have heard that they will give to most charities.

Ross

Bloory
13-12-2002, 11:09 PM
On the subject of grants, look what has just dropped in my inbox :grr

jonathan.bloor,
You have been approved.
Cash Grant Amount:
$10,000-$5,000,000
Did You Know?
-Each Year the U.S. Goverment Gives away BILLIONS in cash grants?
-There are No special requirements to obtain these grants.
-These are Free Cash Grants That you NEVER have to repay!

jonathan.bloor,You Qualify!
Click Here
Limited Time Offer

Don't think we'll bother with that one! :)

I'm looking at the links above now. :shock:

Ross
13-12-2002, 11:16 PM
What about the National Lottery or UK Government (do they not do an organisational grant scheme?)

Ross

Bloory
13-12-2002, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure we fall into M&S criteria. We have a difficult position as we are officially nothing!.

I will obtain the statistics for the Escouts domains and the exact number of accounts, as this may help persuade a corporate sponsor to part with cash.

(Remind me if I haven't done this by tomorrow night).

Jon

FSNet
15-12-2002, 04:26 PM
I do totally agree with the fact that ESCOUTS needs cash, but if we go down the route of company sponsorship, I hope we don't have to flood our sites with logo's, it would detract from the site. I picked ESCOUTS for at least two reasons, one it's free and the second there is no banners, logos etc.

On the cash side of things I am sure all the webmasters should be able to come up with a plan. I personally would be prepared to put into my area budget a donation, or even put the requirement in under the annual fundraising criteria.

Scottish Scout HQ just got a grant from Scottish Exec for a new website, try them.

Thanks
Niall

Ross
15-12-2002, 04:32 PM
I still think we should think about the National Lottery. They give grants to all kinds of things and I am sure that they will fund us, if we put together a proper "proposal" of some sort.

If we do get a company sponsorship it would only be escouts.org.uk that would have banners etc. on it.

The Scottish Executive is another good idea, but Escouts is a UK thing, not just Scottish.

Ross

Bloory
15-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Niall,

That's a fine beard :mrgreen:

I would never allow a situation to occur where sites are required to have an ad or banner or popup or whatever. This site, could theoretically, have a "Escouts supported by Bloggs Ltd" thing on it. We get a lot of traffic and visitors. We have a fiarly large user base too.

A discussion has taken place to the effect that charging could be a possibility. I'm not, at this stage hugely keen on that, because others do the same thing for free (although most (www.freenetname.com, www.namezero.com, www.ndoplus.com, www.force9.co.uk etc) have hefty get out clauses.

Lets just see what we can collectively come up with.

16-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Have you tried approaching HQ?

Matt
30-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I don't know what the interest would be, but how about using a company like http://www.cafepress.com/ to sell t-shirts etc with our logo on? I am sure there are other companies that do the same thing - pref. in the UK, but that sort of thing might be worth looking at because it doesn't need any administration.

mattw
31-01-2003, 09:44 PM

dont think this is really a good idea, as at the moment Escouts are not really bound by any terms and conditions laid down by HQ. If for example they said all sites had to comply with their guidlines for Scout websites then that would, without exception, be bad for everyone.

Matt, I quite like your idea, but a lot of these schemes work out quite expensive for people to buy stuff, without Escouts getting that much out of it - whilst I would be very willing to contribute as far as I can I dont think I would want to spend say £15 on a T Shirt if I knew escouts was only going to get a £1.

If you set up a paypal account then people might just donate if they feel they are getting a good benefit from the service, because its dead easy to just give a bit of money. Looking around, loads of sites have started doing this, maybe worth a look.

matt

Ross
31-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Good idea, but I think that on previous experiences and talking to those who have done/do this, it is not very profitable. Maybe its just me??

Ross

mattw
31-01-2003, 10:18 PM
no, i wouldnt expect too many people to take up the offer, but it costs nout to set up (im no expert on paypal so correct me if im wrong) but you pay a small commission on every transaction. Whilst it wont cover nearly all the costs, it may be worth the effort if its free to set up,

matt

Bloory
01-02-2003, 06:50 AM
I'm happy at the minute to cotinue paying for Escouts. I think we could encourage more people to register domains through us, and net commission and possibly look at similar related revenue streams.

T-Shirts etc is an idea that I've thought of but I have not found a suitable supplier and I agree with Matt that the benefit would be low.

As for conforming to Scout guidelines - we should all be doing it, right :mrgreen:

rob
25-02-2005, 12:23 AM
I agree, make a paypal account with a link on your site. I always find that i have a few quid in my account and have an urge to get rid of it (call me weird if you will)

Rob :banana:

Bloory
25-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Heh, don't tempt me ROb - I've been investigating performance upgrades we can afford!

WideMonk
25-02-2005, 11:26 AM
We are all her for one reason only... our involvement with the Scout Association therefore I find it reasonable that they provide an annual 'donation' to Escouts because if they were to create their own, I'm sure it would cost them more than this one does at the moment - even if they provided a salary for ONE administrator, thats still 40x more than we're paying now (assuming £20,000).

(Richard, maybe a poll: "Do you think the SA should make a regular annual donation to Escouts?" hehe)

Because its a donation and they're not actually taking over, we still wouldnt be bound by T's & C's. If the only rules were to comply with the factsheet, thats easy. It doesnt say you need to know PHP (thank God) or not to use frames (again, thank God)... in fact most of what it does say are stongly recommended guidlines that are common sense anyway. 'Safe from harm' 'deep links to SBUK' etc.

Oh, just another point. Im thinking about sourcing my images direct from SBUK to save my (our) bandwidth.

OK, Donation sources...
• Donation from the SA. We're here because of them and promote the 'Scouting website' fact sheet for them (Escouts Awards).
• Various grants and other funding pools - aren't they usually a one-off?
• Website hosting: When people renew their site, they could also send a small amount to Escouts, too. Even if its just a couple of quid, if every hosted site did that... !!!
• Ads. Something im actually against because with the current splurge in spyware, you can never tell if an Ad is genuine or not... unless they were hard-coded and relevant ads (camping equipment and all the stuff in the back of the Scouting Mag etc).

Would be interesting to see where this goes.

Richard
25-02-2005, 05:17 PM
We are all her for one reason only... our involvement with the Scout Association therefore I find it reasonable that they provide an annual 'donation' to Escouts because if they were to create their own, I'm sure it would cost them more than this one does at the moment - even if they provided a salary for ONE administrator, thats still 40x more than we're paying now (assuming £20,000).

(Richard, maybe a poll: "Do you think the SA should make a regular annual donation to Escouts?" hehe)

Because its a donation and they're not actually taking over, we still wouldnt be bound by T's & C's. If the only rules were to comply with the factsheet, thats easy. It doesnt say you need to know PHP (thank God) or not to use frames (again, thank God)... in fact most of what it does say are stongly recommended guidlines that are common sense anyway. 'Safe from harm' 'deep links to SBUK' etc.

Oh, just another point. Im thinking about sourcing my images direct from SBUK to save my (our) bandwidth.

OK, Donation sources...
• Donation from the SA. We're here because of them and promote the 'Scouting website' fact sheet for them (Escouts Awards).
• Various grants and other funding pools - aren't they usually a one-off?
• Website hosting: When people renew their site, they could also send a small amount to Escouts, too. Even if its just a couple of quid, if every hosted site did that... !!!
• Ads. Something im actually against because with the current splurge in spyware, you can never tell if an Ad is genuine or not... unless they were hard-coded and relevant ads (camping equipment and all the stuff in the back of the Scouting Mag etc).

Would be interesting to see where this goes. For us to get funding, we'd have to be setup as a fellowship and part of the SA in some way. Yes we could be setup as a independant organisation but a fellowship or something similar would give us more credibility. That one is currently lying at my door.

As for what the Scout Association at HQ would do for free hosting, well unless they did put together a comprehensive scheme which had a significant amount of support and servers. I can't see that happening. I'm sure many at HQ would argue that hosting costs should be met locally.

The only way I see this happening is that 1 content management system is created and people get to use an account on that for their group/district/area.

Yes we could sell T-shirts, badges, have a paypal link. We shall see

chrisp
02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Just had this drop through on the scoutbase email list.

Year of The Volunteer 2005

Small Grants Programme (England)

This programme aims to support projects that encourage local people to get involved in addressing the needs of their own communities.

The grants available are between £500 - £4,000 to support

· Individual people or groups of people to deliver an activity which meets the needs of the local community.

· Formal groups of people (self help groups, parent groups, resident groups) to work together to deliver activities or projects that meets the needs of their local communities.

· Not-for-profit organisations (charities, schools) to work with local people and/or service users to help them put their own ideas into action.

Applications may be submitted on a specific form anytime up to 5th October 2005. The Grants Committee meets every six weeks. Applicants must be over 16 years old.

Further information is available from:

Volunteering England

Regents Wharf

8 All Saints Street

London N1 9RL

Tel: 020 7520 8910

E-mail: [email protected] ([email protected])

Or visit web site: www.volunteeringengland.org.uk (http://www.volunteeringengland.org.uk/)

I would have thought Escouts would qualify for that. Maybe worth a look?

MCE
06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
All i can say is google ads!

My total google earnings for 4 sites is upto $150 per month, which is about £75.
Not a BAD start if you can set it up and get a good CTR.

James.Stuttard
09-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Google Ads would be a good idea. in fact i'd be willing to display some google ads for the groups that i admin for on escouts.

how about instead of teeshirts, that old classic the sew on badge? might be of interest to traders / users?

WideMonk
10-03-2005, 02:21 PM
A badge for your camp blanket with the Escouts logo... set at a price to cover all the costs plus a little extra for Escouts... excellent idea James.

Like many camp blanket badges, kids (and some adults like me) are naive enough to buy them without realising what they are really for.

MCE
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
But the people who are likely to want a badge are gonna have to:

Pay online - will their parents let them?
Pay P&P - who wants to pay an extra 50p for a badge!
Then sum1 has to be in charge of orders, production of bages, stock, keeping tabs on profit & loss...

Also, will people really want e-scouts on their camp blanket? Personally i wouldnt...

Sounds like to much work for a few badges which MAY make a tiny profit..!
To put it bluntly, whilst being a good idea, its not gonna help escouts out in the way they need.

Bloory
10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Badges for collectors sake perhaps - in my day job (http://www.snibston.com) we sell many souvenirs/badges etc. Small runs can make the cost prohibitive.