PDA

View Full Version : How Was Sunrise for You?

Richard
17-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Poll: How Was Sunrise for You?

Fantastic
Memorable
Not Bad
A bit dull
Boring
What a ridiculous time to get up !!!
I was still in bed !!!!!!!!!

curtisuk
17-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I was the only one up to see the actual sunrise but was to busy sorting stuff out at 8am to make it fantastic for me but for others it should have been.

David26th
17-08-2007, 10:44 AM
The actual sunrise a bit bleh as I was dealing with poorly Explorers. The sunrise ceremony though was pure magic, very emotional stuff.

jamieharrop14
17-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Can we have a poll option for "I didn't go. I was in bed recovering from jet lag. 18 hours of sleep is magic!". :tong:

Yes, unfortunately I missed ours. :(

Richard
17-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Can we have a poll option for "I didn't go. I was in bed recovering from jet lag. 18 hours of sleep is magic!". :tong:

Added ;)

jediwannabe
17-08-2007, 11:12 AM
How about a poll option for "Stupid work/university/school wouldn't let me go"?

I had a compulsory class during our sunrise ceremony!

Knotso
17-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I was beginning to wonder why I was standing in a field in my pyjamas alongside a hundred others at night time - and then it dawned on me!

Knotso - funny

curtisuk
17-08-2007, 01:50 PM
I was beginning to wonder why I was standing in a field in my pyjamas alongside a hundred others at night time - and then it dawned on me!

Knotso - funny

there had to be one joker in the pack

Richard
17-08-2007, 03:04 PM

Right, I have to take you up on this lame excuse!!

I had just been working 11pm - 7.30am and was due to be on again between 3pm and midnight that same day.

BUT, I managed to stay up and attend Sunrise at the WSJ. Once they started signing Kneckers, I went to bed ! (Which was 30 mins walk away)

tomahawk
17-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I had a run in with a member of our camp at 6:30am, over a lack of loo roll. And this while I was half way through a cup of tea.

Because I am a nice person and I was chief provisioner, I drove 20 minutes to get some, 20 minutes back, changed the breakfast menu at the last minute, and all I got was whinging that I had bought expensive loo roll instead of cheap stuff and that I had taken so long he had sent someone else out to another supermarket (although I beat them back). Not even a thank you.

Spoiled it for me, TBH. Next time I shall suggest dock leaves. Or a cork.

RichmondDESC
17-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Our sunrise was good - there were probably about 100 of us at Phasels Wood gathered on the hill waiting for the sun to rise over the trees.

There was some guy wandering around in a really old fashioned nightshirt and hat, all he was missing was the candle.....

....some leaders are strange!!!

David26th
17-08-2007, 05:53 PM
I always assumed all leaders are strange! That's what makes it so much fun for the kids isn't it? :-)

wealdbrook
17-08-2007, 07:12 PM
We had a good time in Brentwood with Scouts from Thriftwood joining us for breakfast (well hot dog or burger). It was very moving and our cubs enjoyed swapping badges with the internationals from Thriftwood.

MikeJ
17-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Ours was fantastic, was at our district camp site with all the rest of the district for a week long jamboree (SAMJAM).

Did have to get up at 5 to help with the admin though, but good to be up at that time, when you are not at work :)

1stRustington
17-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Ours was fantastic also. We kept everyone (Beavers to Leaders)interested for an hour with a pageant of important events during the last 100 years. We had historic vehicles, pyrotechnics and costumes :bigsmiley

700 very happy people who should remember the whole week forever:D

Martyn
18-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Fantastic - I know I will remember it for ever and I think all of the Explorers will too

Main points
a) On the other side of the world in New Zealand
b) With Northland Scouts at Waitangi (The Birth place of New Zealand)
c) 2 of My Explorers raised the Union Flag
d) 8am in New Zealand , 11 hours before 8am in the UK

I made these - http://www.phoenix-explorers.org.uk/scoutingsunrise.asp

Note the Large video is very large it contains footage of the promise rewnewal (The NZ Promise) the smaller one is images strung together

Martyn

jamieharrop14
19-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Right, I have to take you up on this lame excuse!!

I had just been working 11pm - 7.30am and was due to be on again between 3pm and midnight that same day.

BUT, I managed to stay up and attend Sunrise at the WSJ. Once they started signing Kneckers, I went to bed ! (Which was 30 mins walk away)

Heh. Alright, so I probably could have gone if I really wanted to, but ya know, these six weeks of school holidays are my time to get away from Scouting and build up my energy ready for the return. :D Yeah right... :smash:

For what it's worth, I had no sleep in the 48 hours prior to the sunrise. I travelled through four different airports (Ohio > Charlotte > Philidelphia > Manchester) with a bowling ball and shoes in one shoulder bag (Yes, I really did bring a bowling ball back) and my laptop on the other shoulder. I had zero sleep on any of the flights, and all was well until I got to the departure gate for the Manchester flight... everything was going great, then I heard English accents. "Boy is it nice to hear that accent again" was my initial thought. Then I realised it was all families arguing amongst themselves. Good ol' English! :D

Oh, not to mention I had just 30 minutes between arriving in Charlotte and leaving Charlotte, so by the time I landed they were already boarding my flight. Can you imagine running through an airport from one side to the other with a bowling ball and a laptop on each shoulder. It wasn't fun. :tong:

alterego1981
19-08-2007, 10:00 AM
with a bowling ball and shoes in one shoulder bag (Yes, I really did bring a bowling ball back)

Yes i have brought a bowling back from america, they are do damn cheap out there

TRH
20-08-2007, 09:41 AM
About a dozen in total Beavers, cubs, scouts and leaders standing out in the rain in front of our church with passers by on their way to work looking bewildered. After that our Beaver Leader had prepared breakfast for everybody. Thanks to her for all her hard work and to the rest of the Group, were where you.

Doughboy
21-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Ours was fantastic - 1,600 Scouts & Guides at the Come To Tolmers (CTT) Activity Fortnight. I'm the co-ordinator for the event and got to lead the English Scouts in their promise renewal followed by leaders from the Norweigan, Dutch & Catalan Groups staying with us. We finished off with members of Girlguiding UK renewing their promises too.
The whole thing only took 15 minutes (we started with flagbreak at 7:45am and finished on the dot of 8) but it was one of the most uplifting things I've ever done in Scouting.

curtisuk
21-08-2007, 09:36 PM
welcome to escouts Doughboy

jshirra
22-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Richard,

you must be quite near us! a hertfordshire lad!!

alterego1981
22-08-2007, 02:29 PM
pRh38zKLNTY

websterbfc
26-08-2007, 09:57 AM
we had one all sections represented from beaver to explorer ..plus leaders at a sunrise camp in Chigwell, Essex. some stayed up all night, others slept and then got up to see the sunrise....was exhausting but really good fun.
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1043/dscf1051ab2.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1051ab2.jpg) http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9721/dscf1060gf8.th.jpg (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1060gf8.jpg)

melliepup
28-08-2007, 11:30 AM
My daughter renewed her promise outside the St Helens town hall with other Scouts from the area.

13thwoolwich
21-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I Was at Tolmers So i missed it *Gives Doughboy dirty looks*

Alright - i admit it - CTT was fun and i will be coming back next year unluckely for you :P

Akela Ben
21-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Ours was good considering it was just a little group one, as the district and county weren't bothering to organise anything. We camped over in the field next to where I live and then we used my landlords swimming pool. The YP's enjoyed it which was the main thing.

PeterSheppard
21-09-2007, 12:12 PM
the district and county weren't bothering to organise anything

Aren't they one and the same in your case?

Or have we got a ridiculous situation where there's a County/Area with one single District, each having an executive committee, and commissioners at both levels??

Akela Ben
21-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Aren't they one and the same in your case?

Or have we got a ridiculous situation where there's a County/Area with one single District, each having an executive committee, and commissioners at both levels??

I heard down the grapevine they were merging north and teifi districts, probably from you actually. But I've not heard anymore since and the two districts still organise seperate activities. Also as an ordinary leader I'll be one of the last to know.

21-09-2007, 09:29 PM
FANSTASTIC! The voting was closed but renewing the promise with 40,000 people and while saying it you could hear others around saying theres in there lanuage!! WOW!

Raksha
21-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey Katie, how was Poland, did you cope with the flight etc. Did you cope with the Jamboree OK?

Beth
29-11-2008, 12:25 AM
We had a good time in Brentwood with Scouts from Thriftwood joining us for breakfast (well hot dog or burger). It was very moving and our cubs enjoyed swapping badges with the internationals from Thriftwood.

Hey, that's me, I was one of the Explorers camping at Thriftwood! :D Fantastic sunrise ceremony, and fab day overall - thriftwood laid on activities all day, ending with a street party (lots of mexican waves), campfire (lots of OGGI OGGI OGGIs) and fireworks :D

Going down the street in a procession from Thriftwood was great, hundreds of us in uniform, carrying flags, and yes, shouting OGGI OGGI OGGI evry so often, to the amazement and bemusement of the cars held up so we could cross the road! Also our group had yellow card suns on sticks to carry, and we gave them out at the ceremony so loads of groups had them by the end - it was great giving them to people from different countries and seeing people with them on the way back to the campsite and us thinking 'i drew the smiley face on that sun...:)'

Fantastic day, and definitely memorable :) Oh and the way we finished after the serious bit of making our promises and listening to speeches? You guessed it - OGGI OGGI OGGI! OY OY OY! OGGI! OY! OGGI! OY! OGGI OGGI OGGI! OY! OY! OY! :banana:

Ker-stee
30-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I got up at 4am at Jamboree to watch it...

and at the ceremony we were RIGHT in the centre of everyone!

It was so so exciting!