PDA

View Full Version : Nights Away badge!

Daniel
13-04-2004, 10:58 AM
After a weekend away on young leader training - a problem was talked about - as how would you give out your nights away badge?

do you;

1) give out the 1 night away badge after one night then the 5 nights away badge after 4 more nights to a total of 5 all together.

or

2) give out the 1 night away badge after one night then the 5 nights away badge after 5 more nights to a total of six.

Please vote in the poll

The poll is public so people can see what you voted for.

David
15-04-2004, 12:31 PM
when we get given out the badges, which is very rarely as the leader that is in charge of all the badge records is ill.

the badges get given out at the next meeting after the evening, this means that they get given it infront of all the other scouts!

Daniel
15-04-2004, 09:13 PM
looks like all people give the badge out in the same way.

but there is always someone who gives them diffrent? - somewhere...

im not saying the other way is wrong as it could be all us that are wrong, there is not actual right way of giving them out, or not as i can see in the boox etc from hq

shiftypete
07-07-2004, 02:15 PM
It is obvious that option 1 is the way the awards are meant to work as the different stages have the number of nights away on them ie stage 5 has a 50 on it for the 50 nights they have been away, if it worked as option 2 suggests then to get stage 5 you would need to have done 86 nights away so why would the badge have a 50 on it?

Martyn
07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
The nights away badge is cumlative eg

1 night = 1 night away badge
5 nights (Including the 1 night)= 5 nights away badge

I checked up on it

Martyn

Baracles
08-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Yeah. Read the nights away book. Option 1 is right

Daniel
08-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Our group give out the badges as like option 1,

It was just a subject that was talked about on our young leader training and i wanted to know if anyone did give them out the other way.

David
02-08-2004, 05:38 PM
as we are ont he subjest of nights away i have finaly got the 50 nights away badge.
although i still have not got the badge :(

Baracles
02-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Congrats!!!! :thumbs

Daniel
02-08-2004, 08:13 PM
i think there should be a 75 nights away badge, as i have about 77 nights in total, but there isnt so my group have let me have a 50 nights and a 20 nights, total of 70 nights.

Baracles
02-08-2004, 08:19 PM
i think the should bring out a 10o night badge as some people in active camping scout groups will get them if they start from beavers.

dunc_man
10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
I think network should be able to get nights aways badges as our uniforms are very bland and sparse on the badge front.

Martyn
29-01-2005, 09:00 PM
In Bucks they have added to the nights away scheme

75, 100, 125, 150 and 200 nights away.

http://www.bucks-scouts.org.uk/naway.doc

Martyn

Keith
30-01-2005, 02:29 PM
The system works as the total of nights a Scout has done. At my group we give the Beavers their Nights Away badge for 1 night at the end of their first sleepover. These carry over to Cubs and after 4 more nights with the Cubs, Akela gives them the Nights Away badge for 5 nights.

David
30-01-2005, 02:44 PM
This is how it really should be done but then there has to be a leader in each group who keeps the records.

Daniel
30-01-2005, 03:49 PM
wont the number to nights be on the members record card that goes through every section?

we have the badges they have been awarded and the camps they have attended on ours.

Keith
30-01-2005, 04:30 PM
It does meen we have to be organised. We are a close-knit scout group and we pass our records onto the Cub leader after the member has moved up. Each section is run on the same night so that makes it easier.

Its one of the good things about not having a Scout hut!

This is how it really should be done but then there has to be a leader in each group who keeps the records.

Daniel
30-01-2005, 04:34 PM
we pass on the members record card when they move up to the next setion, all our sections are run on diffrent nights but each leader still knows what every member in there section have done, - from the record card

Keith
30-01-2005, 05:16 PM
All systems require the Leaders to know the leaders of each section aswell as having an organised leader to make sure records are passed on.

we pass on the members record card when they move up to the next setion, all our sections are run on diffrent nights but each leader still knows what every member in there section have done, - from the record card

WideMonk
30-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Its only fair to the kids that leaders pass on info such as nights away and the Joining In award.

Another important issue of passing on info between the section has to be safety, namely their medical history. I have a scout with anaphalaxia and i wouldnt expect each section leader to ask parents the same questions that have been previously asked.

On the other hand, if the section leader passes the info to the GSL (both medical and activities), he/she can make sure the transition is effective and that everyone is informed every step of the way.

David
30-01-2005, 07:47 PM
i wish that i had the leaders that kept records of all of our badges.

because the records never got passed on or never recorded propaly like ur leaders have done so i have only ended up with 50, though i have alot i could have had alot more.

Keith
30-01-2005, 08:16 PM
If the group has a system set up to make sure all records are transfered to the next section. Generally the GSL is a very good person to oversee it as they have a foot in all the doors.

For the members sake, we need to have a smooth transition between sections, otherwise we may loose them.

MikeGH
29-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Any particular reason you want a leader to keep the records, wouldn't it be worth considering whether a fellowship member or a sectional assistant could usefully do this work - leaving you to do the job you're trained to do working with the kids.

WideMonk
30-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I would guess that an Assistant could update the records but the Section Leader is ultimately responsible and so has to safeguard them... that is of course if you hold your meetings in a public building and dont have a dedicated room that doubles as an office. If a group does have their own HQ then providing its all overseen by the Section Leader, theres no reason why it cant be done by an Assistant.

Definately agree tho, Leaders have enough on their plate without recording every activity for every child. I bet some badges can actually be achieved with even realising... Camper badge in Cubs for instance. If they have the Outdoor challenge, chances are they also have Campers too.

jelly
22-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I think I managed to clock up 50 nights in 2003 alone - what with Jamboree, follow on tours cub camp etc...

Nodster
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I do both!

beaver and cubs can get 1+5=6nights away.

But scouts only get the right badge, as they reach that number.

Penny E
11-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Odd, isn't it, how these "buried" threads suddenly emerge again - especially when there is a poll attached?

I wonder if perhaps a mole has been burrowing, and disturbed the thread's tranquil rest? ;)

Nodster - the original thread dates from 2004, and Jelly's last post was nearly 4 years ago! Around 20-odd people have voted on this is in the last couple of days though.

DonTregartha
12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Around 20-odd people have voted on this is in the last couple of days though.

And this 'Odd' person included :bigsmiley

Tetley
12-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Note to self - remember to read posts before sticking your vote on the poll :rolleyes: