PDA

View Full Version : New VBulletin Site April 2004 :: Thoughts, Comments, Ideas & Suggestions

claydon
12-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Cool :cool: The site looks real good. By the way we have no computers, no phoneline or piped gas in our hut. A computer would probably trip our electric supply (dodgy)!!! :eek or be nicked, we have our meetings in a converted extended chicken shed, built about 1940 as temporary measeure for 3yrs.

Bloory
13-04-2004, 10:48 AM
The current site just seems like it is a forum for people to discuss things where as the old site actually looked like a website.

That's what Escouts is primarily about now...?

jamieharrop14
13-04-2004, 10:51 AM
True, but, i just fealt it was nice to have something which looked remotely like a website instead of just a very large forum. Dont get me wrong, the forum is very good for the discussion side of things but the idea of such things as new posts for each web link or each new template/resource etc doesnt attract me. Just my oppinion.

Bloory
13-04-2004, 11:08 AM
That's a fair point.

Richard & I have come to love a host that uses the forum as a website approach, which probably swayed us. Having said that, we have a few changes that should increase useability (better menus, integration with Hivemail, etc).

Richard
13-04-2004, 01:09 PM
mmm I dont think you will ever get a setup that everyone thinks is wonderful. Whilst I am a big proponent of postnuke, I do think it can be very complicated at times.

The vbulletin option is frankly the very latest forum, and is very powerful. I use it in the house on a modem without any problems.

When we were using the postnuke site one of the biggest problems was where do you put the important announcements, in the forum, on the news part, on both. The only other function we used, to any real extent, was web links, which we've now addressed.

We are devloping menus to address some of the accessability issues so that people can find certain important things easier. :thup:

James-J
13-04-2004, 04:57 PM
hm, is there no feature as in phpbb (modded i think) to display links as links rather than posts? to see what i mean visit here (separate URL for the forum, not the main site) (http://www.1stawsworthscouts.org.uk)

Jason
13-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Not included in vbulletin, but im sure there are some mods for it.

Bloory
13-04-2004, 06:56 PM
You can do that in VB, but we chose not to, since that would lead to an even bigger list of forums. We also wanted one searchable archive :)

James-J
13-04-2004, 06:58 PM
fair enuf, just thought it would be quicker to navigate

Bloory
13-04-2004, 07:05 PM
fair enuf, just thought it would be quicker to navigate

Yes, it might - but there were about 120 links - so maybe not. Nice site btw :)

James-J
13-04-2004, 07:14 PM
cheers, i try