PDA

View Full Version : child protection - photographs

Mattrombone
10-08-2003, 03:44 PM
At the moment my site has no photographs of our young people on it at all. however i think it would be nice to put some on of our group camp, canoeing, climbing caving etc to show people what we do. however a few people in the group say that i am not to put photos on the site under any circumstances, even with parental permission. I personaly can't see a proble, what doe averyone else think

Graham
10-08-2003, 05:32 PM
It's a very contraversal (sp?) topic, and may people have different views, why nit perhaps in a directory which is passworded protected and only the people you say can access it?

Dave
11-08-2003, 07:23 AM
I've no problem with putting pictures of some of our young people on the site so long as they cannot be identified easily. With most of the image software available it is easy to soften the faces so that the Young people involved know it's them but strangers wouldn't.

Dave

mattw
11-08-2003, 09:57 AM
i think this was discussed before so if you do a search you will poss find some of the things we had to say last time.

its not even an issue IMO, as you can have pictures with full names printed in the paper etc etc without any of the bull that people try to invent just because the internet is more dangerous.

im sure your local perv doesnt just use the internet so i cant see what any of the fuss is about.

Matt

harrogate20thscouts
11-08-2003, 10:47 AM
On my website, I never put names with faces, and I never put exact times & locations for events before they take place. People don't have a problem with local newspapers why internet. With newspaper only local people are going to read it, so in many ways this is much more dangerous. I haven't had any complaints about pics, so I'll continue putting them online until I do.

marcus
11-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Very simply you can place pictures on your site if they are not easily identifyable. Also I was advised by one of the guys at the Scoutbase desk at Gilwell reunion not to put on pictures of anyone without a shirt or in swimming gear.

What I usually do is out pictures on the site with the filename underneath, rather than a person's name, and leave an email link where if anyone has a problem with a picture then the picture is removed (not happened so far)

For the full details (and the best written factsheet on the matter yet) then look at the document below.

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs295207.pdf

Also, if you want to make a members section, then this would be where you put more of the pictures and also you could use it for more detailed ifromation about events for parents.

marcus
11-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Try that lik again, (SO many BB's, so many codes :) )

marcus
11-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Also try this one: -

http://www.scout.org/europe/downloads/ESD2002blue3e.pdf

Bloory
11-08-2003, 05:24 PM
We did have a problem with one site getting listed on a paedophile list. It received an abaolubtly huge amount of hits, even though there were relatively few pictures.

Mattrombone
28-08-2003, 09:40 PM
hmm getting listed o a paedophile list increasess trafic??? maybe i should be exploring this avenue..... or maybe not, i doubt that the group exec or the scouts parents are as obsessed about trafic as i, a self confessed computer geek, am.

Harry
01-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with photos of members of our unit, and no one within the unit has yet raised anything about it, I have made any members NOT from our unit in photos un-identifiable.

I also have no problem with putting people's first name next to the photo. I don't add surname or email, or any other contact details, all the email from the site is handled through an @misbourne.org.uk address.

Martyn
29-09-2003, 11:42 PM
I know of 2 issues

Parental Permission
1) Protection of 'Children removed from one one or both Parents' and is staying with 'foster parents' it's not going to be too hard to find someone if you see there picture on 1st Somewhere Web site.

This does not have to be list of signatures you keep but you have to make sure that every parent knows there son/daughters picture may be displayed on the internet - eg reinforce the statement again and again - joining pack, PC forms, letters etc

OK thats pictures on it's own

2) Names - This is where 'Evil doers' (sorry can't spell the p word) come in you should never make someones picture and their name conincide

eg a Caption of 1 beaver on a rope ladder - Caption 'Jonnie climbing to the top'

The reason -
What happens if someone comes to the 1/2 way through a beaver Scout Meeting and says pointing to Jonnie - 'Jonnie's Mum has been taken to Hospital and I need to take him to see her'

Yes I know It's a bit over the top with Older Explorer Scouts but

The Guidelines on Scoutbase got updated recently check out

Martyn