PDA

View Full Version : Does SHQ's website meet your needs?

Richard
28-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Now as we all know SHQ commissioned a website a while back to serve the needs of the members of the SA in Scotland.

What are your comments about it how could it be improved, or could it, what do you think? :confused:

The Scottish Scouts website is at http://www.scouts-scotland.org.uk :cool:

Ross
30-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I quite like SHQ website - it is good to look at and has a wealth of information especially for Scotish Scouts. But the library is only really PDFs of news etc, not really anything new. It shouldn't copy ScoutBase, but try to provide some additional more specific tools/graphics.

Ross

Richard
30-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Okay heres what I think, whilst it may be nice to the eye, I dont think it actually addresses many problems:

There isnt a simple links page where you can link to the Areas. The information that is placed on it is often scant and does really inform the members.

It is obvious that the website remains an afterthought in SHQ's communication strategy. People will rarely visit as nothing much changes.

There has been the odd occasion, the beaver fun day for example, when the website has been used, and SHQ havent posted out information, and SHQ wonder why the message doesnt get across.

There is an email function, I have been signed up to, for the last year or so, I have received 1 email.

Its not working and it needs revisited.:o

stuartr
13-05-2004, 09:47 PM
I used it once to look up info on Fordell. Never been back since tbh.

Ewan
30-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Strangely enough I had a quick chat to James about this the other day, but didn't get into the nitty gritty of it all.

He wants to make some changes to the functionality but it all costs money.

There was talk of restructuring the way that the site is actually managed, anything would perhaps be a better utilization than what we have. The SHQ Board are looking at options at present.

IMHO I think that the site is under used by SHQ in publishing information, I think anything that is released generally to all leaders should be available online and certainly more items could be added to the library section etc.

tony
31-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Think the format of the site is a bit restrictive ... agree with Richard that it needs revisited. Don't agree that it needs loads of money ... plenty volunteers (no, not me) could create something far more useful IMO.

Ewan
31-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Tony, I agree as well.

However if you can find people with the appropriate technical skills willing to give up the time to do it, then fire away.

Its the age old problem, you can find help, but rarely can you find the right skills for free.

Michael123
31-05-2004, 07:25 PM
I think that it is a really good design etc but not really much on it! Its a bit like Scouts.org.uk used to be - great design and everything... but when it gets down to it there's nothing you would actually want on it!

When was the last time it was updated?

Graham
31-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Escouts Michael Shanks, I hope you enjoy your time here!

BTW - I live near London so not in Scotland!