PDA

View Full Version : Irc

Matt
28-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, just out of interest, how many of you use IRC and/or would be interested in real-time scouty type chat... or just whatever?

I'm not sure if IRC has ever really been addressed in this community, but IRC and forums tend to go hand-in-hand with each other... What do you lot think?

marcus
28-04-2004, 11:55 PM
There is already an international network of Scouting IRC rooms, ScoutlinkIRC.

This can be found on http://www.scoutlink.net

I personally think this would be better than re-inventing the wheel

Matt
29-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I tend to pop over when JOTI is on, but any time other than that, the servers are dead. I'm not saying what they do is a bad thing, but it's something that never gets used - perhaps because scouty people aren't IRC people, or just because it's not publicised.

Craig
29-04-2004, 06:17 AM
That, i'm afraid is not true. ScoutLink is used everyday, (i know, i'm one of the people!), it really depends what time of day you go on, and plus, it seems "dead" because JOTI has thousands of people when normally ScoutLink has around between 30-50.... it really depends what time you go on.

ScoutLink is superb, there's nothing wrong with the servers (you are using chat.scoutlink.net not irc.scoutlink.net arn't you? or if you prefer, chat.eu.scoutlink.net).

But ScoutLink is by more than far active, after just recently having an IRCymru camp. (3 guesses where!)

But do pop by ScoutLink, its fun!

Ewan
30-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey Matt,

I've chatted on ScoutLink for a good few years now, and yes it can be very quiet sometimes. But people do use it all the time, peak times tend to be UK evening 6-10ish drop by sometime and see whats happening.