PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help...

Bloory
28-01-2003, 02:42 PM
OK, I've pondered on this for some time now.

As you may have read elsewhere o these forums, I am the Scout Leader at Market Bosworth. Thing is, we've no Scouts.

I'm after ideas that I will really try, so please, help out where you can.

I'll reply here with outcomes etc. Firstly though, some background...

Bloory
28-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Background Information

The Group

The Group has it's own headquarters. A summer fair, horicultural show and a Christmas Bazaar are the primary fundraising events and interfaces with parents. The committee consists of the leaders, a treasurer, secretary and four or five general parent members. Due t work committments, the former GSL retired just before Christmas.

There is a newly restarted Beaver Scouts that has a full compliment of members, a waiting list and an active programme.

The Cub Pack is steady in size, and has two very experienced leaders. A third, younger leader left just before Christmas.

Scouts - see below

Ventures. The Group is still running Ventures at the minute, a reasonalbe number of members are regular attenders to the fortnightly meeting. The District is working towards integrating the unit into Explorer Scouting this term. The Unit is run by the new GSL (i.e. was VSL before filling the GSL role).

To follow: The Troop, Me, Work Done So Far, The Area

Bloory
28-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Background Information

The Area

Market Bosworth is a small town in Leicestershire. It has a high school and a large independent school. There are several villages surrounding the town.

At the High School a youth club has been restarted/become fashionble on the same night as Troop Night.

The Troop

For many years the Troop was run by one man and the VSL as an assistant. A couple of years ago he stood down, and a couple of police officers undertook the role. Work pressures etc meant they could not continue so the GSL ran the Troop, with the VSL as an assistant until November 2001 when I came along...

umbers were around 40 for the last few years of the long serving leader and dropped to around 15-18 when I started in November. By September 2002 none of the others remained, although some members had transferred to the Venture Unit.

To follow: Me, Work Done So Far

Dave
30-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Background Information

To follow: Me, Work Done So Far

Still Waiting!!

Bloory
30-01-2003, 10:30 PM
:oops: I got distracted preparing my lecture. Would love some help so I'll post here tomoorow.

:blush: :firedance

Dave
01-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Jonathan,

Whilst you’re in the middle of composing you thesis, I thought I'd jot down a few of my thoughts before I forget what I was going to write. (old age does this you know!)

I've been involved in Scouting one way or another for nearly 40 odd years. (I did start as a Wolf Cub) but I have been in leadership roles for the past 20 or so years of that. One thing I have noticed is that membership numbers fluctuated tremendously from year to year. When I joined my last group the Scout Section had 8 Scouts and stayed like that for 2 or 3 years and all of a sudden we had 24! It has since gone down to about 10 again. Nothing in the programming has changed a lot it just seems to happen. My outlook is that so long as you are doing your best and giving the Young People a varied and interesting programme they will all ways come back. I’ve always kept the programme the same regardless of how many I’ve got to do it for (even had a Summer Camp for 5) If you show that your committed to what you are doing it will show and will be picked up by the Scouts and they will end up the same.

I started the Enigma Explorers with just three who wanted Explorers and where really up for it. We’ve been running for just over six months now and we now have seven invested and one more nearly ready. I’ve given them a fairly loose rein to organise what they want and this has worked well. We’ve had a Night Incident Hike, Winter Camp which apart from the fact it rained all weekend and we got wetter and wetter, and all bar a couple have registered for the D of E award. they are in the middle of organising a trip down to the Mendips to go caving and climbing for the weekend. 99% of the work has been done by them. They were even confident enough to invite the rest of the District Explorer Units as well.

Use your District, County team. Think of the set up as an upside down pyramid. At the top is the Scout/Cub/Explorer etc. next underneath is the Group leadership team (Scout/Cub/Explorer Leaders) Then the Group Scout Leader holding that lot up, then the district and county.

Beaver/Cub/Scout
Section Leaders
GSL
District
County
National

The section Leaders supports the different sections, the GSL supports the Section Leaders, and the district supports the GSL etc.
Make the most of them, a lot of them would be willing to come and do something for you. You say that the venture/Explorer Unit is still fairly strong, do some combined activities.

If the Youth Club is more of a draw, be flexible on which night you hold your meetings. Get out around the village/town you live and get known. Go to parish council meetings, the Youth Club Women’s Institute OK not that far. If you are fairly new too the area people can be a bit wary of a newcomer. (It took me 10 years to get fully accepted in the small village I live!)
Part 2 after you Sir!

Bloory
01-02-2003, 04:46 PM
:oops: :oops: Ok Dave, You Shamed me into it :oops: :oops:

(I'll reply to your post just now...)

Me
OK, I started Cubs in 1984 on my 8th birthday (Beavers hadn't been invented). I stayed with the Pack and progressed through, eventually, to Scouts. At 15.5 the Venture Unit did not appeal, so I stopped on and helped run the Troop. The GSL took me to one side and told me to get a uniform on and cause no more problems and I was left to it. At 18 I applied for my warrant as Assistant Scout Leader. In total I led my old Troop for 10 years, with numbers at increasing and periodically dropping to around 15 and at one point got as far as 35.

In November 2001, after an unenjoyable year, I left/was forced out of my old group. The DC had an opening at Market Bosworth, which I took. The Troop was run by the GSL who slowly, due to a change of job, left. A Venture and assitant leader from the old group came along to help things running.

Bosworth has traditionally had a strong background in Canoeing and Sailboarding. These don't appeal to me, but I am happy to use the local facilities to provide these activities.

I've only some long overdue final projects of L2 to do to complete my training. I hold first aid at work, a food hygenie certificate and I have had activity authorisation for hill walking since 14. I also hold authorisation for climbing and abseiling on walls and towers.

I believe in the patrtol system and in supporting the older scouts to lead the Troop. Whilst I have a four foot high pile of tried and not tried but interesting ideas, I prefer the Scouts, with guidance, to come up with ideas.

I believe that a certain amount of order is required to avoid the meetings
degenerating into non-organised chaos. (That is for instance things like putting litter and unwanted sweets from tuckshop in the bin rather than the floor, general respect for others and the property of others)

Work Done So Far
I think there is a tendencyfor some disquiet when new leaders join a group. We each have our own way of working. Things I changed: try to break the "this is week 5 of our programme, we do X, getting input from the Scouts as a whole, introducing some patrol structurem more variety in the games played, insistence on reasonable behaviour for the flag and disposal of litter etc, ceased a term of canoeing (no authorised leaders). I also got to work with the Beavers and Cubs and committee etc.

When it became apparent that numbers were dwindling, we concentrated on a good programme. After the summer holidays (I prefer to keep going but the custom is to stop), we switched nights because of feedback from Scouts. We delivered fliers to every house in the town and surrounding villages. We put some posters up around the place.

I think that's it now :)

Bloory
01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
One thing I have noticed is that membership numbers fluctuated tremendously from year to year.

I'd agree with that :)

Nothing in the programming has changed a lot it just seems to happen. My outlook is that so long as you are doing your best and giving the Young People a varied and interesting programme they will all ways come back. I’ve always kept the programme the same regardless of how many I’ve got to do it for (even had a Summer Camp for 5) If you show that your committed to what you are doing it will show and will be picked up by the Scouts and they will end up the same.

And that :)

I think the issue is I've never been down to zero before :eek:

Use your District, County team. Think of the set up as an upside down pyramid. At the top is the Scout/Cub/Explorer etc. next underneath is the Group leadership team (Scout/Cub/Explorer Leaders) Then the Group Scout Leader holding that lot up, then the district and county.

It's not always easy to get help - I've tried within Distrtict and County before :( I'm not ruling it out, just saying. The Group don't seem inclined to do anything, although I do get the comments like "well xxx did it better" and "xxx always had 40-50 members" which are not helpful (or true, necessarily :mrgreen:)

If the Youth Club is more of a draw, be flexible on which night you hold your meetings. Get out around the village/town you live and get known. Go to parish council meetings, the Youth Club Women’s Institute OK not that far. If you are fairly new too the area people can be a bit wary of a newcomer. (It took me 10 years to get fully accepted in the small village I live!)

I think that is part of the next step. What we've talked about now is concentrating hard on a couple of open evenings. I don't want hundreds of Scouts, but a few from which to build would be good. :cool:

Thanks for the reassurance and feedback Dave.

Jon

Dave
01-02-2003, 05:04 PM
One thing I meant to put was please don't get dis-heartened if nothing seems to work to start with. Give it time and you'll see things will work just fine, I'm sure of that.
Dave

merryweather
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
OK, I've pondered on this for some time now.

As you may have read elsewhere o these forums, I am the Scout Leader at Market Bosworth. Thing is, we've no Scouts.

did you manage to find your scouts or are you still pondering?

cordially yours, TM

recneps
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Tarquin - guessing you've had a boring day? Seems like a very old thread to rekindle...

that said, would be interesting to hear how the group are doing Jon, although I beleive yuo've since moved to Ashby?

Bloory
01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I left Scouting for a bit, moved house and got involved in 4th Ashby where I was persuaded to become GSL. We've just completed a bumper year and there is still lots to achieve...

I gather the group in question has managed to get itself sorted out and leaders have come and gone and aside from the sad passing away of the Scout Leader done very nicely, so a good story now :)

Thanks for asking