PDA

View Full Version : Is the KidsOutdoors campaign a good idea???

Richard
24-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Is the KidsOutdoors Campaign by the Scout Association a good idea?

Yes

No

Maybe

No idea what it is

curtisuk
24-02-2008, 01:49 AM
any thing that premotes scouting in a good light and gets kids out and about and fitter is always good.

the only down side is that we need more leaders to coupe with the influx of new kids.

as we are all well aware of

tomahawk
24-02-2008, 08:02 AM
who wouldnt want to get the YPs out and about in the spring/summer? I am so sick of being cooped up inside!!

But I know a lot of leaders who think Beavers = crafts.

We, however, hope not to set foot in the HQ for most of the summer. There are kites to be made, water pistol fights to be had, dens to be built.....

Testarossa
24-02-2008, 09:40 AM
For those who are outside most of the time, it won't really affect us, but it is good media coverage and might encourage those who are very "craft" based to get outside.

jshirra
24-02-2008, 10:30 AM
it can't really be a bad thing i don't think!

however, it will take a full frontal assault from all the groups in the country to make it work....can't have itty bitty-ness of some people doing things and others not!

Akela Ben
24-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Do I think the campaign is a good idea? Yes
Do I think it will have much or any effect? No

As Scouters we get the young people out and about as much as possible anyway. So you can say its not really aimed at us. So outside of Scouting this must be aimed at getting youngsters, families etc to embrace the outdoors. Well all responsible parents are already getting their kids outdoors or providing the right balance of life for their children. Parents who aren't responsible for their child's welfare and and upbringing won't listen or be swayed by this campaign.

Also knowing what TSA media has been like in the past, will many outside of Scouting really notice this campaign?

Sorry must be feeling cynical this morning.

PeterSheppard
24-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I've not had a brief from HQ as to the background or purpose of the campaign, but I suspect it is more to raise awareness in political circles, other organisations, and Young People's Partnerships (or is YPPs just a Wales thing? - I've lost track now), rather than the media and general public.

MikeJ
24-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I've not had a brief from HQ as to the background or purpose of the campaign, but I suspect it is more to raise awareness in political circles, other organisations, and Young People's Partnerships (or is YPPs just a Wales thing? - I've lost track now), rather than the media and general public.

Didn't you see it in the last scouting magazine?

PeterSheppard
24-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Yes, but it was a bit wishy-washy. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak...

Mad dog
25-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I think it's a great idea I must say! Anything which aims to get into & enjoying the outdoors surely can't be bad!!

If you have a look on the campaign website http://www.kidsoutdoors.com/ It has a bit more background detail about the campaign, with FAQ's etc as I agree it's not too too well known at the moment.

It also gives you or members of your the oppertunity to submit details of outdoor activities which you have/will be undertaking if you fancy sharing them & getting even more young people involved!!

No1 Newham
26-02-2008, 01:35 PM
The SA should not be promoting 'kids outdoors' but rather invest their resources in promoting the outdoor side of scouting

Biscit
26-02-2008, 03:28 PM
The SA should not be promoting 'kids outdoors' but rather invest their resources in promoting the outdoor side of scouting

Not sure I see the difference. I thought that by doing the first we were doing the second.

Skip Ian
27-02-2008, 04:48 PM
As alternative advertising and a way of working around the stigma of Scouting I think it is a good idea. As for results I agree with Akela Ben can't see it making much of a difference to our Group / area.

alanghorn
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
When I was at the launch, I was told there was "to be a lot of media coverage about the campaign, including local and national newspapers, radio, TV and website coverage."
At the moment - apart from TSA-owned websites - has anyone seen anything about it anywhere else? I can safely say that in the North-West of England, there's nothing. See - just to prove my point: do a Google search for "kidsoutdoors". Even this thread is above the actual campaign site, and there's not much on TSA's campaign.

Do I think it's a good idea?: Yes - theoretically it is, but there's no media coverage, so it's not working.

Mad dog
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Do I think it's a good idea?: Yes - theoretically it is, but there's no media coverage, so it's not working.

I agree with you!! Although, it is difficult to get media coverage. For example, here in Scotland we had hoped The Scotsman would include an article on the launch but in the end they didn't.

Although, anybody notice the "new look" www.scouts.org.uk!!

PeterSheppard
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Although, anybody notice the "new look" www.scouts.org.uk!!

Erm, apart from the header image which changes every few months anyway, no...?

Bushfella
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
The immediate response is that , yes , it has to be a good thing to promoe getting out and doing something.

However, will it have any impact upon grass roots Scouting? I doubt it. We already do what we do, and no amount of PR is going to make a great deal of change to what people do back at their HQ.

If it helps raise an awareness of what we do and brings in more adults, fine.

Ewan Scott

Kastor
12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I think the idea is fine but the implementation is boring.

The KidsOutdoors site doesn't change that much, I submitted an outdoors event and it took weeks to appear. It uses silly marketing speak like "empower", and the habit of the text being in a thin column on the left is just irritating. The "Coming up" list stops halfway down the page leaving loads of whitespace. There are only 11 upcoming events listed (nationally, almost a ΒΌ of the way into the campaign.)!

It just has an air of being an unfinished student project.

jshirra
12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Erm, apart from the header image which changes every few months anyway, no...?They really need to rethink at the very least the front page....i think that they need a very clean, simple effect, a lot like the Scout Wales one (although that isn't perfect...)

The main aim of scouts.org.uk should be recruitment of adult and child members. So, 3 links: About Scouts, Join Adults, Join YP

from everywhere else you can have current news, events etc but the start page should allow you to get to where you want to go without hassle!

the current scouts site does not.

PeterSheppard
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
i think that they need a very clean, simple effect, a lot like the Scout Wales one (although that isn't perfect...)

I'll take that as a personal compliment :thup:, but please let me know how you think we could improve it!

Kastor
12-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll take that as a personal compliment :thup:, but please let me know how you think we could improve it!Scouts Wales also has the "everything on the left" problem. It makes it very unfriendly to those of us who have wide screens. Can you not have it like Mongomeryshire which copes with variable screen width nicely.

Also I find having the pictures under the text on the main screens makes them hard to read - there's not enough contrast.