PDA

View Full Version : Forum "Censorship"

stuartr
07-02-2004, 10:17 PM
this dictatorship replaces everything i write with *removed*

Dictatorship? You do realise this is an open forum, and is linked to by a large amount of scouting sites. Thus it is important that no improper material is disaplyed incase little jimmy (or his over protective mum/dad) should stumble upon it.
I have taken great care to ensure that my site includes:
1) No reference to my name
2) No reference to scouting (not always)
to ensure that people dont stumble upon it these days. Those of us who are responsible for looking after young people have a reputation to keep up.
As a student/networker you may feel its not your problem, but you may still end up bringing down the (good) reputation of scouting if someone gets offended.

/rant over

Oh...and sorry for hijacking this thread.

Stuart

ps Matt, dont take this too personally, but I think you need to calm down a bit and think about things. Many of the posts you make are very agressive sounding...

mattw
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
im sorry if my threads sound aggressive to you, i certainly dont intend them to.

the reason that i wrote what i did above was because this forum seems to censor literally any word that is almost offensive, and, in my own opinion, it is a tad ridiculous. Others may have other views.

The only time i ever have a problem is when people try to tell me how to run our website, or try to tell other people that no they cant have anything interesting on their site ever because it might offend 1 person.

I appreciate that some people have disagreed with the content of our site before, and im sure if opened up for comments it would fall down like a lead balloon, but (like yours) it does not mention my name as the author, and in the 18months that we have had the site up and running, we have had no major complaints (regarding content at least!) from visitors.

Personally i think a lot of people on here need to loosen up a bit and put something interesting on their sites.

Sorry if anything on there sounds aggressive, i honestly dont ever intend to be bulshy unless someone annoys me intensely (which i admit has happened on here before).

Matt

James-J
08-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Anyways, thanks for all the help with the site and i think i better ask one of the mods to lock this topic before i get thrown out for inciting revolt

Richard
08-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I will have a look at the censorship list.

Richard
08-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Okay the censorship list is huge, we must have got it from someone else. Okay you can now say fart, shocking I know.

If you want to email (not PM so it doesnt get censored) [email protected] I'll consider the merits of the terrible word u want to say, and may remove it from the censor list.

Richard
08-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I should add that we always retain the right to edit or delete posts and an admin is about quite frequently so the censorship list is not the only way of stopping nasty things getting said.

Bloory
08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I've split the topic - hopefully without offence.

I added a predefined list simply because I didn't particularly want to have very explicit words (and I think we could all think of a few) on the boards and better to say too little than too much. As Richard says, lets perhaps relax a little bit - looking at the list it is perhaps quite restrictive (thinking of a conversation on uk.rec.scouting a while ago, what I find a very offensive word describing parts of the female anatomy, 11 year olds in parts of the country think of as fools)!

stuartr
08-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, I was thinking about mentioning a move....especially as it was me who sidetracked the site discussion. I was going to ask you to post the words censored but just realised that would be stupid. I shall now re-lurk until something else comes to my attention...

Bloory
08-02-2004, 09:47 PM
:thumb