PDA

View Full Version : Young Leader Training

Daniel
01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
hi,

im wanting to know how many people who are young leaders in scouting sections have actually done the young leader training program.

Have you just done module A?
Have you done all the modules?
Or have you not done any?

James-J
01-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey, i have done modules A and B with my Scout Leader (dont have a YLL!)

have also started work on the missions 1 and 2?

Craig
03-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Done no YL training at all, yet i've been a YL for over 2 years now.

James-J
03-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Well i wud be in the same position, cept my SL took me on, he goes out his way to help and support me which is nice seen as i have had no support from the district (and neither has he)

Daniel
03-05-2004, 07:44 PM
ive done module A, E, F, G, H, I, J

they were all done on a weekend.

We have a District Young Leader Leader.

Also our Explorer Scouts are connected to our group not the district , but we have a district event every month, which means we have the best of both worlds, and also we have two people trying to get us to do it, YLL and ESL

Martyn
04-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Craig - Have your asked if your County are doing YL Training , If your District Aren't or even a different District ?- you really should do Module A as a minimum

4TGC - Have you decided on any misson impossibles ?

The proper title is
ESL(YL)

Martyn

Craig
05-05-2004, 05:49 AM
I'll talk to the GSL and see what he knows.

shiftypete
02-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Our district has no Young Leaders Unit as no Leader can be found to run it and so there are loads of Young Leaders doing no training in the District including 2 in our Group.

matt2501
07-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I know this thread was a while ago, but I do have something relevant to say.

I want for about 4 months without any, then Moz started Team X, an all-wales young leaders unit because lots of welsh districts dont have YL units, we get free training in exchange for helping at Wales and Area events, like the All Wales Scout Camp (it was great) and the All Wales Cub Fun Day (supposedly), the training weekends are free and scattered all over wales, the first one was a whole days drive from my home, and the most recent i could have walked, and the weekends are the best I have been on in Scouting at all. I think that other places should do this (although it probably wouldn't be logistically possible in England, possibly North and South).

The weekends cover the Modules, 3-5 peer weekend, include activities like Climbing and Shooting and also include sessions on running things like Campfires and Firelighting with sections, really great.

Myself, I have completed modules A (twice), D, E, G, I, J and K, (I think, sorry if I have made any mistakes) as part of Team X.

Phil4071
07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Our county runs YL training weekend camps. All young leaders are asked to go. Its usually once a year. Over the course of the weekend i think most units are covered. The ones you don't can be done at units etc. Even if you have already done the training you are still asked to come back if you would like, to recap and help with the training.

West Hull DESC
07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I am one of the Humberside county young leader training team and we complete approx 7 modules in a weekend the remaining picked up in another weekend and the mission's etc completed between courses.

If West Yorkshire doesn't do anything how would you be interested in joining up on our course usually £20 for weekend including accomodation and Food. The district exec should refund you the cost as it is equivalent to the Adult leader training.

jemima duck
04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry

One question ....

How can you be ASL and a YL???

You cannot become ASL till you are 18 and when you are 18 you are a Networker

Am I right?????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Daniel
04-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Please remember to check the dates that the thread was first posted, this goes back a few years: 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM So many people may now be a leader instead of a Young leader, me included ;)

jemima duck
04-10-2006, 06:01 PM
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :banana:

me being stupid!!!

Moz
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM

me being stupid!!!
Not just you! I thought that too when I read this thread!

Thanks to Matthew from mentioning Team X. It has been a success and I'd encourage Counties and Areas across the UK to just co-operate with each other in the provision of YLT. Team X has proved that Explorers are willing to travel to do their training, and it's done wonders in bringing young people from across Wales together not just to do YLT but to learn from each other and have great times!

Yes, we had a rather large grant to run the training for free and to pay for travel expenses for those that had to travel, but I'm sure it could be done on a smaller scale without. The money has helped to show that it's possible. I don't think we'd have set it up if we didn't have the money. Now that we have, it'll be continued with or without funding.

Far more info on Team X HERE (http://www.explorerswales.escouts.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9)

Moz
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM

me being stupid!!!
Not just you! I thought that too when I read this thread!

Thanks to Matthew from mentioning Team X. It has been a success and I'd encourage Counties and Areas across the UK to just co-operate with each other in the provision of YLT. Team X has proved that Explorers are willing to travel to do their training, and it's done wonders in bringing young people from across Wales together not just to do YLT but to learn from each other and have great times!