PDA

View Full Version : Hike

jamieharrop14
26-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi, i am in the very early stages of planning a hike (by early i mean its just in my head). I am debating whether to do a sponsored hike for a charity or just a normal hike. The hike will be with full kit, eg. tent, trangia, food etc as the hike will be over a number of days.

It will probably be done with 1-2 friends.

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips of how to plan these type of things. The overnight stays will probably be in some farmers fields, how do you go about organising this.

Been 16 i have never organised something like this so i just need some basic advice and tips.

I live in West Yorkshire, for the great northerners among us where would you recconmend the hike take place.

I am looking for countryside so moors and lanes and ideal. :-)

harryman100
27-12-2003, 09:41 AM
I think, from what I remember, (and no doubt someone will be able to offer confirmation of this) the minimum party size for scouting events is 4 - just a thought

marcus
27-12-2003, 09:46 AM
The mimimum suggested is 4, but I did my Chief Scout's Challenge as a 3

claydon
27-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Well a get start might be to plan where you want your hike to go and then look at the places you could stay along your, then contacting the places.

Just a thought

claydon
27-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Sorry that was susposed to be a good start!

jamieharrop14
27-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Ok, thanks for your comments everyone. :)

watfords
31-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Hi,

You're a lucky one can just go out the door and almost start walking, where I have to drive somewhere for a couple of hours, I'm jealous.

I've organised a couple of hikes including 2 queen scout hikes, I agree with what Claydon said but try to find some some scout campsites as they will be a lot cheaper and you could almost arrive there and then they won't say no unlike other campsites.

If you are also doing this for you first time make sure you take a good few pactice hikes and get used to walking with a full rucksac on. Also because of the increased weight you are carrying you should be aiming for about 10 to 12 miles a day. Just this summer a few of my scouts completed their expedition challenge walking about 16 miles in two days.

If you want any more help just drop a note and I will reply ASAP

Also a good reference book is the new Nghts Away folder that your leader should have

All the best for your hike

Greg