PDA

View Full Version : Tents and sun

Graham
18-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi,

My previous dome tent was left out in the sun in the summer for a couple of days and soon bleached and then ripped.

Since then I have now bought a new vango delta tent, I am taking it on summer camp and really don't want it to split again. I have a bottle of some water seam protector but that won't be much use.

What is the key things to do? Put it in shade? Move it around?

Thanks

Graham

P.S. We are staying at Polyapes - any one been there?

Dave
18-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Graham,
How old was your old tent? It might have just been old age! My last dome lasted about ten years before giving up me. I've got a Delta now, :thup: 300+ used a lot last year and still looks like new.

Dave

Graham
18-05-2004, 06:04 PM
It wasn't old at all, maximum 3 years.

I think my new tent is a vango delta 300+ if that's the one with two entrances each end!

Thanks

Dave
18-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Graham,
Yep that's the one. Great tent for the money.Good choice. :bigsmiley You shouldn't have problems with your old one at that age. It wasn't put away damp at any time (or kept somewhere were it could have got damp? )

Dave

Graham
18-05-2004, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't have thought so but I'll remember that for thr future.

Thanks again

Martyn
18-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I have had the same issue - tents don't seem to like real sun

I have not found anything that stops it - The best I've found is reproofing the tent again and again that seems to help, It comes back to how much you pay to start with

When I say re proof - I don't use the spray on stuff any more, I buy a big can and bath the outer completly

The other thing I've done is purchase a new outer that gave the tent another 3-4 years

Martyn

ianw
25-05-2004, 12:59 PM
What is the key things to do? Put it in shade? Move it around?

P.S. We are staying at Polyapes - any one been there?

Tents splitting from too much sun? Eeeeh, these new fangled tents, break if you use 'em. Tsk. My Vango Force 10 is over 20 years old, and a very light orange outer, no problems, well, apart from the weight! ; )

Polyapes? I really like the site, seems to have a really nice peaceful atmosphere to it, well, 'till the scouts turn up, or we fire up the disco at the Theme Park Camp. Sandy soil, lots of rabbits and trees.