PDA

View Full Version : Explorer unit name

Chris
13-02-2003, 02:44 PM
I've given my Explorer the task of thinking up a unit name, but so far they haven't come up with much, I was woundering if anyone had any good sujestions that I can put forward to them, even if it's just to get there minds going.

Chris

Ross
13-02-2003, 04:02 PM
What about something related to what they are interested in or local places the live with their names mixed 'n' matched.

Only my ideas...

Ross

stuartr
13-02-2003, 09:54 PM
its terrible hard to think of good (and original names).

our VSU had this problem a year or so when thinking of a name. People called us the "Haddy Lads", but we suspected that this had other meanings, so eventually changed to SOBER VSU (one track mind eh? also have you ever met a sober vsu?). Obviously this aint a good name for Explorers.

The explorers im with now (as administrator) currently have no name. Just East Lothian Explorer Scouts. They were not too bothered...

Dave
13-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Our Explorer Unit when asked about the name was what was Explorers all about and at the time even the leaders had no idea! (still haven't!!) it was all a mystery hence Enigma.

Steve Hulka
14-02-2003, 01:55 PM
My District has decided that Explorer Units should not use the name of an existing group The units currently have names that describe the local area (eg Redmires, Broomhill, Hillsborough etc) - but there's nothing to stop them choosing a name for themselves, as long as it doesn't link them with a Group.

Chris
24-02-2003, 12:07 PM
We have picked our name, but I think it's a bit long for the web address, so I was going to reduce it, The name is North Side Pioneers, which one do you think is the best, remember it will be hosted by e-scout

Suggestions

NSP
NSPioneers
the-Pioneers
Northside
Northsidepioneers
North-Side-Pioneers
Pioneers

Bloory
24-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Here is the results from www.firevision.co.uk for the above names ending in .org.uk:

Available:
NSPioneers.org.uk
the-Pioneers.org.uk
Northsidepioneers.org.uk
North-Side-Pioneers.org.uk

Not Available:
NSP.org.uk
Northside.org.uk
Pioneers.org.uk

NSP in all extensions: none :(

I'd go for Northsidepioneers.org.uk myself (actually, if it was me, I'd go for them all :))

Ross
24-02-2003, 08:22 PM
I would go for NSPioneers.org.uk! Sounds very proffessional and easy to remember...

Ross

Chris
26-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Jonathan,
Can't afford them all, thanks for looking into it for me, if i did go for one would i need a doman account or standard, using the company you Suggested

Ross,

I think your right, one of my conserns is that the web address would be too long to remember

mattw
26-02-2003, 12:37 PM
i would pick one, but get both .org.uk and .co.uk of it (if that makes any sense) as people do sometimes get confused. At only £7 for two years or something each im sure you could strectch to that. :-D

matt

ps my personal choice would be NSPioneers

Bloory
26-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Jonathan,
Can't afford them all, thanks for looking into it for me, if i did go for one would i need a doman account or standard, using the company you Suggested

I have this little compulsion to buy domain names... ;)

Chris
26-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Jonathan,
Do i need a standard account or just the domain account?

Bloory
26-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Jonathan,
Do i need a standard account or just the domain account?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, sorry.

If you are buying the domain, don't get any added extras (i.e. there cheapest option usually). Use the control panel and set the nameservers to ns1.escouts.org.uk and ns2.escouts.org.uk.

In terms of Escouts, just signup in the ususal way (https://support.escouts.org.uk/signup.php)

HTH