PDA

View Full Version : Is it really necessary to be 'this' prepared

Kaa
20-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Although I like to think I am an open minded adult I am struggling at the moment with the article I just read on Yahoo.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081020/tuk-scouts-could-be-given-condoms-6323e80.html

I beleive children should receive advice on this subject first and formostly from their parents and although I appreciate that sometimes this does not happen, schools are also taking an active part in providing older children with the advice and where necessary the precautions they need.

Surely if EVERY adult a child comes into contact with is telling them to always use a condom we are infact sending a message that sex is ok.

Is it really necessary for the Scout Association to also take a stand on this subject?

Peter Duncan
18-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I find the best thing to do when dealing with the media is not to form opinions on facts printed in newspapers and particularly online. My understanding of the working party's conclusions was that it was an excellent piece of research
with clear, sensible recommendations. I know that this offends some people's religious and moral standpoints but in an open society individuals have a right to access clear information that affects their lives. Ironically in a closed society I believe truth and fact would suffer even more than it does now.