PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Climbing Walls

Bloory
23-02-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking of persuading the Group Exec to let us fit out part of "the back room" with an indoor climbing wall, and would be grateful for any pointers, advice or experiance that you can offer.

Thanks

Jon

Dave
23-02-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking of persuading the Group Exec to let us fit out part of "the back room" with an indoor climbing wall, and would be grateful for any pointers, advice or experiance that you can offer.

Thanks

Jon

Jon,
Have a look at
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/indoor.htm
then put a search in for Indoor Climbing walls on Google (UK) there are some interesting links. I'm awaiting a e-mail from my climbing pal re.Scouts so should be able to give you more info. later.
Dave

Dave
23-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Jon,
Have a look at
http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/jg/forums/i.php?f=6

There is a posting on the forum about Scouts and buiding your own indoor wall !!!

Dave :)

Bloory
23-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the research and links Dave. I spent a good while with our friend Google yesterday and found some quite inspirational sites (I must organise my Favourites!).

I wonder whether anyone has a) had to persuade their exec or b) encountered difficulties or problems "politically" or practically. I have yet to measure up the room, but it will probably result in a wall with a number of "technical" features, rather than being a huge facility. We would want to maintain the room for general use too. Has anyone encountered the practical problem of preventing people using the wall unsupervised?

Dave
24-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Climbing walls come in all different shapes and sizes from having some climbing holds bolted to a playground wall through various training boards or cellars used by climbers for training to full blown climbing centres catering for everyone. The Beacon are always happy to advise anyone thinking of building a wall whether you are planning to do it yourself or get a company such as ours in to do the job. We can offer advice on design, structural requirements and we can quote for building a wall. It would be impossible to give written advice on all aspects of wall design but here are some tips to help you plan your wall.

Fixing to ply-wood

This is the most common way of fixing bolt-on climbing holds and most modern walls comprise ply panels screwed to a timber or steel framework. The flexibility of design and versatility make the extra cost worthwhile for many people. Frameworks can vary from 3x2 timber battens bolted to a vertical brick wall to huge free standing steel structures. Design of frameworks is beyond the scope of this site but The Beacon are always happy to advise.
If you are building a DIY wall with ply wood you need good quality 18mm sheets prepared with M10 Tee nuts. Tee nuts are captive nuts that are hammered into the back of the ply before it is mounted and enables holds to be interchanged without the need to get behind the panel. Tee nuts are placed by drilling a clean 12mm hole in the ply, hammering in the Tee nut and then making sure that it sits squarely. It is always preferable to place an excess number of Tee nuts as this will make the wall more versatile.

Bolt-on holds on brick, block or concrete walls

The question we often get asked is can I put some of your holds on the side of my house? The answer is usually yes as long as you have a flat surface. On a similar vein the Beacon has been involved with some school projects where bolt-on holds have been fixed to playground and gym walls. This can be a low budget opportunity to provide a climbing wall. If you are considering this type of wall you need to consider the following points:

Is your wall structurally sound, if there is any doubt you should get a structural engineer to check it out. If we are given full details of the proposed wall we can have the check carried out by our structural engineer.
Are there adequate flat areas to take bolt-on climbing holds, if the surface is particularly uneven holds will have a tendency to spin and may break on tightening.
Are you able to drill into solid areas of wall. It is possible to obtain good resin fixings in hollow materials but it is far preferable if there are no cavities.
If you are planning to provide roped climbing the structural requirements are much higher and are governed by BS12572, again we can give you advice on this.
This is a very economical way of getting a climbing wall but will it be interesting enough. Bolt-on holds work best on ply wood they can be moved around easily, the ply can be textured and angle changes are possible.

If you decide to fix to brick, block work, concrete or stone it is possible to use either internally threaded expansion sockets or resin sockets. Resin bolts should be used for walls that will be used by the public, although expansion fixings will usually suffice for ‘home walls’.

OK I copied this from
http://www.beaconclimbing.com/wallbuild.html

Might be a good idea to get hold of these people to see what they have to say. Steve Mayers is your man.

Dave

Bloory
24-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Dave, very comprehensive :mrgreen:

mattw
24-02-2003, 07:06 PM
on the note of using it unsupervised, if you keep it to a bouldering wall then i don't think there would be a problem,

i dont know the scout regs on this, but if you want i can ask our VSL as he is into climbing in a big way, and has put a mega wall in one of his warehouses at work.

Bloory
24-02-2003, 07:26 PM
on the note of using it unsupervised, if you keep it to a bouldering wall then i don't think there would be a problem,

i dont know the scout regs on this, but if you want i can ask our VSL as he is into climbing in a big way, and has put a mega wall in one of his warehouses at work.

Please Matt. I am aware of the rules which probably don't account for this situation, but would like any practical ideas too.

Dave
26-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Jon,
I should be getting some info in the post shortly, which includes how to secure a wall for unauthorised use. I'll forward them on to you as soon as I get them.
Dave.

Chris
27-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Can you drop me a copy as well ;)

Dave
27-02-2003, 05:16 PM
What I'll do is scan them into word and if anyone wants a copy I'll e-mail them out.
Dave 8)

Bloory
27-02-2003, 06:35 PM
That would be great :thumb Thanks Dave :la

Dave
07-03-2003, 07:39 PM
I've e-mailed Jon the information this evening in a PDF format.I don't know if Jon could add it as a attatchment to this thread.
Dave

Bloory
07-03-2003, 08:27 PM
At long Last...