PDA

View Full Version : PCs

Ross
02-03-2003, 11:37 AM
What king of PCs do you prefer? Is it a Dell, Compaq, Hewlett Packard or maybe Tiny (?)

Vote in this poll, and say why you chose this type of computer. I am just interested in what people have at home/work.

Ross

Bloory
02-03-2003, 11:51 AM
I voted other I've built PCs for myself and others since 1995 :)

I'm hankering after a Mac at the minute :mrgreen:

Ross
02-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, I could of included that aswell, but the forum didn't let me add any more poll fields!

Ross

mattw
02-03-2003, 01:44 PM
i voted Sony as that is what my laptop is, but as with jon i dont think i have had a 'proper' branded computer for ages (i think the last was a Compaq in 1994!). Theres no point in buying branded ones IMO, my latest came off ebay for a fraction of the cost of a shop brought job.

matt

stuartr
02-03-2003, 05:41 PM
diy....

my familys comp is tiny, but the components are all really cheap (or some are) things which dont work properly.

Dave
02-03-2003, 07:10 PM
The CPU has Tiny on it, the Monitor is a Tiny but thats where it all stops. I did a major rebuild a couple of years ago. So the guts of the PC are from all over.
Dave

A PS to this is that after all the bad publicity Tiny have had (now Time) I never had a problem with the PC I just wanted to up the spec. The 19" Monitor is superb very clear.

Ross
02-03-2003, 07:17 PM
This is good feedback. I was interested in what everyone was using nowadays.

Ross

mattw
03-03-2003, 05:26 PM
I wondered how long it would take before the build quality of Tiny (or Time) was mentioned, as although i've never had one ive only heard bad things, especially about customer support. The last bloke i knew who bought one (for over £2k about a year back) bought the extended warranty as well. Quite typically he got it set up and nout happened, and when he asked customer support for his on site warranty to be honoured they said he had to spend time on the £1/min cust support line first. Needless to say he took it straight back and got a refund (this was not easy to get out of the Tiny shop!!) and a different PC.

For this reason, as well as the fact that they aren't specially cheap and tend to use non standard/cheap bits, i would never get one.

Ross
03-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Anyone with a Fujitsu Siemens impressed with their support and their PC? My PC is great and what I have tested with their support, perfect! A sure 10/10!

Ross

mattw
03-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Fujitsu are supposed to be all right, our school had a large number of them at one point and they were alright, just didn't last that well under hard use (keys falling off and mouse buttons breaking etc) and after a few months were a bit tatty. For a home user who is more careful they're possibly fine. Out of the ones you mentioned I would have to say that Sony (for laptops only, desktops are a bit pricey), Gateway and Dell (although tend to all be P4s which is a disaster) are my pick.

However you have missed out MESH, who, IMO are the best PC manufacturer around for pre-built PCs. Also Evesham would be well upo there in my list.

Ross
03-03-2003, 05:51 PM
I know I was going to put these makes in but I was not allowed any more poll fields!

Ross

Matt
04-03-2003, 07:02 PM
DIY all the way - I'd much rather spend £500 on parts to make a decent PC than spend £800 on a PC that's a lower spec!

mattw
04-03-2003, 07:38 PM
i have found though that buying some very barebones PCs off ebay can work out a lot cheaper than buying all the bits seperately though. The last PC i brought was a cocktail of new bits off an ebay bundle and stuff lying around here. I spent £500 on bits, which was a bargain in my mind, as i got it the week that the processor was released here and only got stuff which i would have got anyway (graphics card, case, mboard, cpu, power supply etc) and reckon i saved a good couple of hundred let alone the hassle of gathering up parts like ive done in the past.

also if you spend you're £800 on a lower spec PC you are more than likely paying for your 'free' scanners, printers webcams etc which will all be of less than no quality. On top of this, by spending your money on bits you like you can allocate money as you wish, ie I would spend proportionately more on a monitor than most people and skimp on other things which i feel are less important

stuartr
05-03-2003, 10:59 AM
and of course an OS is required for a DIY unless you use *nix. It all adds up, and like mattw i would prefer to choose myself which components are more important to me.