PDA

View Full Version : [Wanted] Old Canvas

Lynn-Cubs
10-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I'd be interested in anyone throwing out old canvas tenting, preferably lightweight canvas and not army weight please.

Any size considered, whether scout tents or old canvas tents, I can cut them out an make 101 useful camping things from them.

I'm in Cheshire, I don't mind driving to collect, but pleased don't expect me to drive to London (etc.) as that's just too far ;)

Many thanks

Lynn

Mark
11-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Lynn I'm in London so too far for you - sorry. What sort of things do you make from the old canvas?

Mark

shiftypete
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Pretty much all our old canvas is still in use as tents ;) (in case of an emergency or an extra large camp we still have the tents that were replaced at least 15 years ago)

Lynn-Cubs
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
We made a cooking fire shelter from the roof of an old trailer tent. The rest went to make:

Small storage tent (basic ridge design)
Child's poncho
waterproof bags
wood pile cover
sit-upons

Got enough left over for emergency side panel to shelter until I need to make more stuff.

All made with an old Singer sewing machine- I love my Singer.

Mark
11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks Lynn; waterproof bags sound like a good idea. Is it just an ordinary sewing machine or a heavy duty one?

Lynn-Cubs
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
It's an old singer, it has no problem with layers of canvas (probably the most I've done is 4) but it does not like heavy duty thread.

Waterproof bags are really useful, chuck them on the ground and they don't soak up dampness from the grass. Make a small one for your belt and keep dry kindling in it on wet weekends. Last longer and look better than plastic (and they are green).