Thread: Young Leaders and Young Assistants

Cub Scout Leader
    Thanks

Young Leaders and Young Assistants

I count myself really lucky to have had a pair of outstanding young leaders over the last year. They're both Explorer Scouts and both have been working towards their DofE by helping at Cubs. They're both really busy with GCSE work and both have lots of other interests apart from Scouting. I wondered how much they'd be able to come. But the Cubs loved having them along and they loved coming - win, win!

The thing is, I havent been too strict about their wearing uniforms (one of them comes straight from Rugby training to Cubs eating a sandwich in the car) or their "formal" young leader training. Does anyone know how I stand on this? Are there insurance/safety/legal reasons for ensuring that any Young Leaders who help at Pack meetings are fully engaged in the Young Leader system?

And taking this further, my Explorer Scouts will move on soon. There's a gap in the pipeline of Scouts/Explorers who'd like to help out at Cubs. Where do I stand wrt getting able teenagers who want to do DofE but aren't actually members of the Scout Movement? I know a couple - but they're really busy, I don't want to overburden them with additional Scouting requirements if they're not strictly necessary.

Thanks
    POR wise - Which can potentially affect insurance, all Young Leaders need to complete Module A (3.35B).

The exception to this is if they have come from a different organisaion to complete their DofE, but since yours aren't, this doesn't really matter. If this was the case, they need to do at least Module A (More on this in a moment), however are not Explorers, or members of a YLU.

An essential element of the entire DofE programme is Training, in all four sections, and as a result, there are set standards for the training which must be completed. At Bronze, this is Module A + 2 Others, Silver is Module A + 3 Others and at Gold, this is Module A + 5 Others. (http://dofe.org/media/viewfile.aspx?...pdf&filetype=4)

They need to be registered with the ESL (YL), (Failing that DESC, failing that another ESU), and should complete Module A, not only because it includes some pretty essential information on child protection, but also because in theory, without it, they won't complete their DofE.

In terms of using Young People who are not members already, I would say that there should be no reason that they cannot help you, but the essential training should be completed as a minimum. With Under 18s, this is Module A of the Young Leaders scheme, and with Adult Appointments (Based on 'Section Assistant'), Module 1, however those doing DofE will need their set number of modules (2, 3 or 5 from the Young Leaders Scheme or 2, 4 or 6 from the Adult Training Programme).

This doesn't need to be overburdening, Module A can be run in an hour or two, then that's it, and in terms of Adult Training, there are E-Learning Courses available to suit the learner, so there is really no reason not to!

Hope this Helps!
    Matthew

Thanks
    I had a Young Leader who came from school as she was doing her D of E and she didn't want to leave. It took me a year to pursuade her into uniform and to do some training.

If you are looking for more sources for young leaders, speak to local schools and also the Guide Association.

Cub Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys thats really helpful :-)

My daughter's a Guide - she's almost young leader age. She loves Guides, if I wanted (needed) her to help me out (and she was happy to do it) would she have to be plugged into the Scout Young Leader system? I imagine she would.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by washathi View Post
    Thanks Guys thats really helpful :-)

My daughter's a Guide - she's almost young leader age. She loves Guides, if I wanted (needed) her to help me out (and she was happy to do it) would she have to be plugged into the Scout Young Leader system? I imagine she would.
    Unless she was doing DofE with another organisation and Scouting was her service then yes she would.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Unless she was doing DofE with another organisation and Scouting was her service then yes she would.
    Having said that, plenty of leaders bring their children simply because they don't have a choice, and (although POR won't approve), I've never seen it cause any major problems.

Having said that, being 'plugged into' the Scout YL system needn't mean more than completing module A and the DESC having a copy of her details though.
    Matthew

Thanks
    If you expect your scouts to turn up in uniform, you should expect all young leaders and uniformed adults, (including yourself) to turn up in uniform.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2501 View Post
    Having said that, plenty of leaders bring their children simply because they don't have a choice, and (although POR won't approve), I've never seen it cause any major problems.
    Taking your own children is very different from taking someone elses. You are very unlikely to try and sue yourself.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Taking your own children is very different from taking someone elses. You are very unlikely to try and sue yourself.
    leaders kids are insured separately by our group if they aren't members

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    leaders kids are insured separately by our group if they aren't members
    If the Leaders kids are of age and they attend and gain the benefits of membership, then they ought to be members. I can never understand when they are not and don't want to be but still join in everything.

On the YL question. I am currently dealing with this in our District.

ALL YL MUST be registered with the DESC , ESYLL.

All must do the appropriate training.

The ESYLL is the one who signs off their books, NOT their section Leader.

There is an element of ambuigity over Guides (as I read it). Where it is suggested that Girlguiding is responsible for their training, but elsewhere it says the ESYLL is responsible. I'd go with the latter for simplicity sake.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Having said that, being 'plugged into' the Scout YL system needn't mean more than completing module A and the DESC having a copy of her details though.
    And having paying the capitation fee at census time

Thanks
    Why not do all the YL training I have found those who start the training enjoy it and want to do more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Thanks
    How long do YL's have to do YL training ?

I have one YL who's just started who can't do YL training at the next available slot. They are registered with explorers but don't attend (too far and on wrong night).
    Shaun

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffieldpengui View Post
    How long do YL's have to do YL training ?
    YL doing the YL Belt are supposed to do the training in their first year. County are supposed to be organizing the training but have not done so. We are trying to deliver different Modules three times a year along with Module A which we run 4 times a year.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt