Thread: Still in the USA.... sigh

Thanks

Still in the USA.... sigh

Well, I've been back in the USA for four months now, and here's where I stand... the county commish is still trying to find out what they can do about getting me a volunteer worker visa to return to the UK... someone from national was looking into the matter, but they passed it back to the county, so it's like starting all over again... sheeshhhhhhh....
    A month after returning to the US (just after Christmas), my car transmission went up... uggghhhh.... I had the likelihood of getting a job with the government, but suddenly no transportation... I'm staying with my Dad in a rural area with no public transport, so stuck for not taking the govt job... so now I work at WalMart (the US answer to ASDA... owned by the same people)... I'm trying to save up funds for my return to the UK...
    I have had some response to getting a job in the UK, but of course, they all want a face-to-face interview before committing to attempt to get a work permit for me so I could get the visa to return...
    I have sent letters to several of the British embassies here in the US with the hopes of getting answers about how to get an unmarried partner visa, because some of the requirements are impossible to fulfill.... but again I wait....
    Chris (my significant other) just came to the US for two weeks last month... we went and visited a friend's Scout Troop and Cub Pack in South Carolina and told them all about the UK... the kids really enjoyed the visit, and we gave them some UK Cub badges... it felt good getting back into my Scout uniform and hanging out with the kids, even if only for one night...
    My Cub Pack in the UK (19th Tynemouth) has lost one kid, but gained two others since I've been gone... a recruitment drive is underway, so hopefully there will be more soon... FOUR of our Cubs (we've got less than a dozen) move up to SeaScouts around Christmas...
    I ordered the trees and seeds from the Woodland trust, which all arrived last month... the seeds have been started by a leader at his home while the Scouts and Cubs work on clearing the brush near the Scout hut... all will be planted the week after Easter break....

I want to be back in the UK NOWWWWWWWWWWWW

I'm here to STAY!!!!!!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karenseascouts View Post
    I have sent letters to several of the British embassies here in the US with the hopes of getting answers about how to get an unmarried partner visa, because some of the requirements are impossible to fulfill....
    Hi Karen,

You have sympathies from all round, I'm sure. At the risk of sounding 'old fashioned', how likely is is that, rather than being an 'unmarried partner' you might become 'wife'? That would make all the difference. Is the 'significant other', significant enough to be permanent? If he is, then you know what to do. If he isn't, then have you any major reason (apart from your Cub Pack) for emigrating?

I know that probably sounds very hard but Cubs are Cubs the world over and I am sure that there will be a pack 'Stateside' which will be just crying out for somebody like you. Assuming the B/F is not permanent then Cubs apart, is Britain really a more attractive place to live than the States? Don't forget, in little more than two years, none of the Cubs you left in the UK will be Cubs any more.

I don't want this to sound heartless but I really feel that you need to be sure that Britain is your promised land. Don't forget, you can visit whenever you can afford it and, as a visitor, you can enjoy the best of Britain without having to live, day to day, with the worst!

Warmest thoughts are with you as you make life-changing decisions.

Thanks
    I'm hoping someday for 'wife'... but for now, it's 'unmarried partner'.... he is still in the final stages of divorce (and yes, I know all the implications of that!!! lol)... I trust him, and I love him, and I know he'll never go back to the soon-to-be-ex.... I'm pretty old-fashioned myself, and couldn't hardly believe I'd gotten myself involved with someone who was not yet divorced, but that's what's happened....
    Love of my life aside, do I want to live forever in Britain?? I doubt that I would... the US is still 'home', and aside from a few close friends, and the Pack, I don't really know too many people in the UK... I'd probably feel lost... if b/f and I for any reason don't work out, I'd probably return to the US.....
    And yes, if I return to the US, I'll probably very likely get involved in Scouting here, now that I know what it entails....

I'm here to STAY!!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karenseascouts View Post
    And yes, if I return to the US, I'll probably very likely get involved in Scouting here, now that I know what it entails....
    Well you know what British Scouting is like - but BSA is totally different - especially planning camps
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    You could organize an contingent to the BSA Centenary next year and we could smuggle you back on the return journey.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeniura View Post
    You could organize an contingent to the BSA Centenary next year and we could smuggle you back on the return journey.
    According to the 'Code of Conduct' for the BSA Centenary Camp, Scout Leaders are not allowed to carry firearms on site! - So how are they going to keep control then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    According to the 'Code of Conduct' for the BSA Centenary Camp, Scout Leaders are not allowed to carry firearms on site! - So how are they going to keep control then?
    I thought you were leading the contingent!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Ahhh... but I'm not a BSA Scout leader

Quote Originally Posted by Taeniura View Post
    I thought you were leading the contingent!
    Ohhh... an even better solution..... tucking the firearms within the metal framework of wheelchair where they be undetected....

Quote Originally Posted by stukley cubs View Post
    Well you know what British Scouting is like - but BSA is totally different - especially planning camps
    Well I kinda sorta know what BSA is like... my son is an Eagle Scout, and he was the contingent leader, and OA Lodge Chief, for several national camps.... but yes, I do know it's a whole lot different "seeing" than "doing".... besides, I could just be a 'den mother' in the Cubs.... they just bake cakes, keep the cubs from killing each other, and stuff like that ROFLMAO
    Last edited by MikeJ; 07-04-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: merged posts

I'm here to STAY!!!!!!