Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Scout Platinum Award

Thanks

Chief Scout Platinum Award

How many of you are doing the Chief Scout Platinum and Diamond Awards with your Explorers? How do you find they get on with them?

We haven’t been doing them at all and I’ve been trawling through the records to see who’s done what that could be counted. We seem to be OK with the Nights Away bit, but are nowhere with the International, Environment and Values activities. No one has DofE Bronze and there is a smattering of ones who have some of the Platinum Challenges mainly through doing Young Leader and outside sports stuff.

What sort of activities have you done for the I,E,V activities as I feel I should be concentrating on getting some of these going as they are things that can be better done as a group?
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    I E V is very easy to tick off...post your program for this term and i bet i can find at least 2 - probably well over!

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    But do you expect the YP to run the programme to count for the I, V, E parts, or just take part in activities on that topic?
    So child A completes Bronze D of E through school, turns up each week and takes part in fund raising activities to send other members of the Unit on a overseas trip completes International part? Or are they expected to run an activity at Explorer age?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    I E V is very easy to tick off...post your program for this term and i bet i can find at least 2 - probably well over!
    Orienteering, Pioneering, Kayaks, wide game, 10pin bowling, Backwoods cooking, Taste test, Shooting, Climbing.

Thanks
    OK having looked at the requirement i think they may have changed a little but i will still have a go (good programme btw!)

Orienteering - could you add an environmental twist to it? maybe see if you can get some kit from the geography depart at a local school and do a survey of something along the way? maybe at each waypoint collect 3 sets of data, come back to the hut and everyone taps it into the pc and presents it? good practice for school & uni i can tell ya!

Pioneering - could you challenge them to make a religious symbol out of poles that represents their religion and talk about it's meaning to them to the group?

Kayaks - bit of fun between ticking off badges!!

wide game - "Complete an environmental impact assessment of an activity the Unit is undertaking and act on your findings." maybe get them to do a kind of 'risk assessment' for the environment they are playing in? jumping into a bush won't be good for it, but how bad?

10pin bowling - again fun

Backwoods cooking - international twist? maybe find out how people in different countries cook every day and see if they could do it? eg

Taste test - again international theme - maybe extend it so in groups they have to come up with a country, food, music, phrase etc and make a couple of nights out of it!

Shooting - fun

Climbing - fun

the other option is to have the list up and plan at least one night a term which fits into the IEV list - its not that hard just a little thought around the subject!

nele
    Thanks
    I do scouts, but have (had) 3 kids go through explorers here. The oldest got diamond CS having done DofE bronze, an international camp, the group enviroment award and a church youth weekend involving teaching on their faith. He didnt complete silver or gold dofe (yet)

Second one did all but the sports part of DofE silver.. so didnt finish her award. Has now left explorers as she is 18 and there is no network here. However again an international camp and being a leader/helper at a church childrens event completed other aspects. I think they also did an enviromental study for part of their expedition

Child 3 is currently doing bronze Dof E. service completed, expedition training ongoing,

Basically they do a lot outside scouting to get the awards. However Im sure the unit wold sort something if needed.. or let them run a programme..

Thanks
    Ours do the expeditions through the Explorers - but tend to do the other parts of the D of E award on their own i.e. some do guitar lessons or similar. Some do the YL training as their Service within Scouting.

With regard to the environment etc.. lists, some things we do as a unit e.g. conservation at a local National Trust property, other things they may do on their own, e.g. run an activity for Cubs based on International or Faith.

Barney

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    Orienteering - could you add an environmental twist to it? maybe see if you can get some kit from the geography depart at a local school and do a survey of something along the way? maybe at each waypoint collect 3 sets of data, come back to the hut and everyone taps it into the pc and presents it? good practice for school & uni i can tell ya!

Pioneering - could you challenge them to make a religious symbol out of poles that represents their religion and talk about it's meaning to them to the group?

wide game - "Complete an environmental impact assessment of an activity the Unit is undertaking and act on your findings." maybe get them to do a kind of 'risk assessment' for the environment they are playing in? jumping into a bush won't be good for it, but how bad?

Backwoods cooking - international twist? maybe find out how people in different countries cook every day and see if they could do it?

Taste test - again international theme - maybe extend it so in groups they have to come up with a country, food, music, phrase etc and make a couple of nights out of it!
    These seem quite lightweight compared to things like getting an Explorer Belt or Partnership Award.

I don't want to make it too hard but also I don't want to just give it away.

What level of commitment/effort do others require?

There haven't been many responses to this thread, does that mean a lot of Explorer Units don't bother with the Chief Scouts Awards?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    These seem quite lightweight compared to things like getting an Explorer Belt or Partnership Award.

I don't want to make it too hard but also I don't want to just give it away.

What level of commitment/effort do others require?

There haven't been many responses to this thread, does that mean a lot of Explorer Units don't bother with the Chief Scouts Awards?
    I think it depends upon your Explorers - I have a couple that if they did what Jamie suggests, would be a good challenge for them - others I would expect a bit more because I know they are up to it. A partnership award would be an ideal way of several explorers passing this section of the CS award.

The Explorer Belt is a huge commitment and I don't think it can be compared to the other badges.

Barney

Thanks
    We had a big push on award work in the unit about a year ago and now nearly all of the Explorers are working on the platinum, diamond or QSA. I find that the two major hurdles from a planning perspective are the expeditions and the I,V,E sections.

We have an international trip most summer's which covers a large proportion of the unit for the International section. Recently for environment we have been focusing on local conservation projects, we built a bridge in a woodland, installed new steps and have carried out various conversation work. I still can't seem to get my head round the values bit, but they only need two of three.

Baz
    www.smesu.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    As it says on the list of suggested activities 'Although there is only one list of activities for the three Awards, the level of skill and commitment required should be linked to the age and experience of the Explorer Scout'.

So IMHO it deoends on which award they are doing what I'd require, for the Platinum I'd be a lot more lenient and stretch things than I would be for the QSA when I'd want much more effort put in.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I'd put the Explorer Belt at the QSA level so they're a long way off that.

I was thinking of trying to do the Partnership Awards but have struggled in the past to get the other Sections to show any interest. Lots of "yes, that's good we'll think about it at our next planning meeting" but no actual commitment. I might have another go with the Beavers and may also try Cubs from a different Group for that.

I'm being fairly lenient on their Skill, Physical and Service bits so I would like at least some effort to be needed for the I, V, E.

There's a conservation organisation locally so I'll talk to them and see if there's a day long project that we can go on. As long as they put some decent effort into that I'll count it for Platinum. Some of them already have International from going on camps so I won't be far off giving out the first awards.

Now there's just the Expedition to sort out.....

Thanks
    i think it needs to be remembered that the IVE stuff is really for getting some areas of the balanced programme into the awards. The REAL challenge comes in the D of E areas - so maybe you are thinking about them the wrong way round! The way i like to think of it - like the other section CSA - by attending the meetings and taking an active part, you should get 75% of the award. The other 25% takes the ones who actually want to do the award above the rest!

Thanks
    I know what you're saying but my bunch are fairly sporty (just ordered 12 Physical Recreation badges) and also a fair few of them are, or have been, Young Leaders so the DofE bit is pretty much covered.

The bit we're weak on is the I,V,E and that's what I want to beef up. Historically we've been poor at the balanced programme and I want to improve that side of things.

Thanks
    The Unit I have been a leader with had a policy of focussing on two awards. Platinum for the youngsters and Gold DoE / QSA for the older ones. The logic being, there's not enough time to do more.
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales