Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group Administrators

Thanks

Question Group Administrators

Not sure if this is in the right place or not. Mods, please feel free to move if needed

Our Group is struggling to find volunteers who are able and willing to take on some of the roles that would normally be done by Exec. for example - insurances (buildings, boats, vehicles), minibus (mot etc), site co-ordination (for want of a better phrase) to name a few.

We have talked through several ideas at a meeting tonight, and one of these was perhaps to consider employing a very part time Group Administrator.

Leaving aside the arguments about parents volunteering, etc etc.

My question is this: Have any other Groups out there done this? what was your experience, have your got a job description you would consider sharing?

Thanks
    Would this not be what a secretary should be doing? Doesn't solve your problem of getting people but I would have said that was a secretary's job you've described.
    What do you care what other people think! - Richard P. Feynman

A person needs only three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If either doesn't work, use the hammer.

Thanks
    In a Group as large as ours a Secretary cannot possibly be asked to tackle all of this and still have a life! I have listed only a very few of the things that we need tackling, the issue is not who should be doing what. Hence the question has anybody done it and what was their experience.

Thanks
    Ah ok, i come from quite a small group so we don't have that problem.
    What do you care what other people think! - Richard P. Feynman

A person needs only three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If either doesn't work, use the hammer.

The Daddy
    Thanks
    This should really come under the job proviso of the Treasurer and Secretary, as it's tasks that generally need accounts, payments and reports. Plus its all under the one person's umberella and cuts down on time and mistakes with multiple people.

We're a big group now and the treasurer is very organised so she sorts everything out. It all gets sorted a lot quicker and less hassles than the previous encumbent.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    some jobs are deleagatable...

our minibus has a trusted adult in sole charge of all paperwork...

insurance could be delegated but our treasurer does that...

subs is dealt with by a subs person...

gift aid is dealt with in our group by a separate person although it could be done by the subs person...

so yes, we delegate some jobs... does it work? as long as the 'line manager' keeps an eye...

treasurer keeps an eye on subs and gift aid, LiC asks relevant questions about the bus... so on and so forth

Thanks
    We have

a minutes secretary

an activities 'booker' - i.e. ring up the firestation, get the vicar in etc.etc,

a membership secretary - runs the waiting list and welcome packs

an assistant membership secretary - runs the crbs

a quartermaster

a subs sec

a buildings admin person

treasurer does insurance

The thing is there is no job too small to be done.

Also i find when there is a smallish, well defined task you get it done ever so well.

i just ask for an update to make sure its happening and step in to help when its not.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    i think if it REALLY is something you need to employ someone for, first port of call is Gilwell - just in case there are any odd rules etc.

Secondly, maybe you could ask a local business if they could spare someone for a couple of hours to do it? they might be able to write off that time as a 'charitable donation' and maybe sort some tax rebate? that is how i would go about it if you REALLY can't get a parent to do it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    i think if it REALLY is something you need to employ someone for, first port of call is Gilwell - just in case there are any odd rules etc.

Secondly, maybe you could ask a local business if they could spare someone for a couple of hours to do it? they might be able to write off that time as a 'charitable donation' and maybe sort some tax rebate? that is how i would go about it if you REALLY can't get a parent to do it!
    This is a good point Jamie - in Glasgow a lot of the bigger law firms have given over their secretarial staff for two or three hours a week for "social responsibility" projects - I know one law firm which provides a secretary four hours a week for the BBs in Glasgow. Worth a try?

Bob

Thanks
    Personally I'd look at buying the services in as opposed to employing someone - simply because of the regulation. It's an extension of the company administration/secretarial service offered in most towns - and provided you organise yourselves with a clear agreement I don't seewhy it shouldn't work.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    The idea of employing someone has crossed my mind from time to time... Me.

Seriously though, a lot of the tasks are those of the secretary and supported by the Chairman, Treasurer and GSL they should be manageable.

If you employ someone you open up a whole new can of worms.

This has already happened and initial reactions from some volunteers has been to step back. Some have quit.

The reality though is that many, many charities do employ people for certain tasks and allow volunteers to do what they join for.

If you take someone on you will have to be able to cover their wages, their NI, and arrange for someone to talk to them about their pension (private).

You also turn your meeting place into a workplace with all the red tape that comes along with that. Where as volunteers you may be able to be economic with the application of your duty of care ( and we all cut corners at times) as an employer you take on legal responsibilities over and above those of a duty of care.

You can usually get your local Voluntary Action Council or whatever they go by locally, to deal with the wages issue and they deal with wages third hand.

Remember, once you go down this road it will become very difficult to undo it. How will you find a volunteer prepared to do for nothing what someone else was doing previously for a wage?

In some ways a view into the future might be had by looking at the preserved railway sector. These were invariably established by enthusiasts and volunteers, but quickly found that they needed employed staff. Today they are struggling to find volunteers because people now expect to get paid, and some won't do work as volunteers that was previously waged.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    An interesting point, thanks Ewan.

Thanks
    Leaving aside the arguements I have to say well put "Bushfella"!

We had a simialr problem years ago when I was involved witha lcoal pre-school. Whilst we did resort to paying someone for certain taks (apy roll etc) we did it in such a way that they were self -employed, so might be worth considering?

Having said that persoanlly I'd still try and exhaust the volunteer route first so some random ideas other than parents (which you may well already have done though). As others have said "donations" of time can count for lots of things in lcoal businesses, and even for those self-employed:

- insurances (buildings, boats, vehicles). Have you tried targeting a local insurance broker / company to take this one one?

-minibus (mot etc). Any friendly local garages? Or a local college with relevant tutors that might help?

- site co-ordination (for want of a better phrase) to name a few. Any local projects that work with people either with disabilities or on return to work / unemployed schemes. they often need projects and might be happy to take it on as it will give their "customers" real life skills that can help them in many ways? Or again a local college with youngsters who need practice on their vocational skills? Is there a local branch of the U3A - they might be able to help find someone?

For all of those is there a local "Volunteer Bureau" - ours is great at finding things to do small chunks of larger jobs! Or what about your lcoal WIt, Church etc - might be worth asking if you could get some youngsters to do a scouting "presentation" at a meeting, and that might generate pairs of hands?
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Awards Team
    Thanks
    In another voluntary organisation I'm involved in, we have done exactly this. She's a friend/neighbour of one of the committee who's children are just starting school, has a few hours on her hands a week and was looking to get back into work.

We contract her for 5 hrs per week, she's self-employed - we have a set figure outgoing and she knows what we expect of her.

Another option would be to find a VA (Virtual assistant) which do this for a living.

It really does free volunteers up to do the things they enjoy doing and moving the organisation forward rather than spend time on admin. If you want any other info, feel free to give me a shout.
    Awards Team
    Twittering: Here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Maybe I'm being a bit thick here. But what exactly is the issue with insurance? What takes so long to deal with?

We have established insurance and have the payments on SO. I make a call to the Broker, an ex DC, once a year to check that we are okay and everything is fine.

The kayak insurance is the same. I just call and alter registration details when we sell or buy a new boat.

I can't even see that the minibus insurance should be too much of an issue, just limit the number of drivers get a quote, job done.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk