View Poll Results: Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bear is a fantastic choice

215 65.15%
  • Don't Know Yet - Ill reserve judgement untill he has been here a while

95 28.79%
  • No - I don't like him as Chief Scout at all

20 6.06%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Thanks
    I just hope he gets out to the rest of the ranks and not just leave it to the explorers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Chug View Post
    I just hope he gets out to the rest of the ranks and not just leave it to the explorers.

Hopefully he might be at Gilwell Reunion.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

DESC Gosport Explorers Gary1980's Avatar
    Thanks
    Chuffed to bits with BG as the new CS, I met him at Gilwell 24 and the speach that he gave at G24 was supurb.

Thanks
    I've not read the whole thread yet, but Bear is the reason I am on this forum! My son loves his shows, and heard he was Chief Scout - he then began pestering to join Beavers, and here we are
    Robin - ABSL 1st Hayfield Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phrinabsl View Post
    I've not read the whole thread yet, but Bear is the reason I am on this forum! My son loves his shows, and heard he was Chief Scout - he then began pestering to join Beavers, and here we are
    That's great

Thanks
    yes hes very good, fantastic in fact

BUT I wish he had more say/to say in setting what we do and how we act. I remember him say something about taking risk and enjoying life and not getting tied up with red tape.

I would also like to see him doing a lot more, The rumour is he signed a contact to do 12 weekends per year, maybe some can confirm or deny that?

I sometimes think I would like him running the scout side and Wayne acting in a sense to manage the buisness, whereas at the moment Wayne does all the work. and Bear is just the face.

Maybe thats the way its meant to be. but A lot of people sign up seeing bear, and hoping to get what he does, of course that not always the case.

he was a very good choice though, and having read his book have some huge respect for him

Thanks
    I voted 'don't know'. I can see why Scouts HQ brought him in, because he is a celeb and he is our 'advertisement' and also because scouting made him do what he does (apparently), but to be honest i don't really like him as Chief Scout, we should have someone who we feel we can email, who we can follow on twitter and then in return they will follow back, not a celeb!

Dan

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutingdan View Post
    I voted 'don't know'. I can see why Scouts HQ brought him in, because he is a celeb and he is our 'advertisement' and also because scouting made him do what he does (apparently), but to be honest i don't really like him as Chief Scout, we should have someone who we feel we can email, who we can follow on twitter and then in return they will follow back, not a celeb!

Dan
    Well I guess that's why the UKCC post was created and Wayne Bulpitt was appointed.

After Peter Duncan's term as chief scout, the role was changed so it was more about being the public face of scouting. The UKCC is resonsible for managing the volunteers. See here for more info.
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    I would love to see a real outdoorsman like ray mears. He is a legend. But bear seems far more popular with the yp. Next we will be staying in hotels on camp too lol

Posted using tapatalk, I'm not usually this brief
    ---------------------------------------
    SL - 1st Uphill Scouts, Weston-super-Mare
    All your Scouts are belong to us
    Some of the views, posts and opinions shared are my own. (the good ones)
    A Scout leader that knows the benefit of good record keeping - Online Scout Manager takes care of your admin so you can take care of your scouts!

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    I would love to see a real outdoorsman like ray mears. He is a legend. But bear seems far more popular with the yp. Next we will be staying in hotels on camp too lol

Posted using tapatalk, I'm not usually this brief
    Well the en-suite rooms in the Jack Petchy lodge and the other one (name escapes me) aren't that far away!
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    Nice simple view, I choose yes because I think he is awesome and a good inspiration to the kids!
    Explorer Scout Leader, Wasp Explorers,
    Group Sectional Assistant, 7th Felixstowe,
    Network, Orwell Scout District, Suffolk.

Scout Camp isn't a Camp unless there is Bacon involved!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaldis View Post
    Nice simple view, I choose yes because I think he is awesome and a good inspiration to the kids!
    ......and it only took you 4 years to decide that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    ......and it only took you 4 years to decide that?
    No i just saw this post the other day...
    Explorer Scout Leader, Wasp Explorers,
    Group Sectional Assistant, 7th Felixstowe,
    Network, Orwell Scout District, Suffolk.

Scout Camp isn't a Camp unless there is Bacon involved!

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJB666 View Post
    As an active animal lover I am appalled that every time I switch on the t.v. especially on Channel 4 Mr. Grylls is there killing animals or snakes without any real reason.
    Every time? I think you exaggerate.

Recently I've seen him kill a huge python THAT WAS NO THREAT TO HIM on his show from Ecuador - and he really looked as though he enjoyed the experience.
    Oh dear, but bearing in mind that when Bear does these things he is dropped in without any food supplies no doubt Mr Python made a good meal

And just now he was seen again needlessly killing a rattle snake in Dakota during the Channel 4 'Born Survivor' series.
    See above

I have been a supporter of the aims and objectives of Scouting for many years and I have always thought that the Scouts (and Guides, Cubs, Brownies, etc.) placed an emphasis on conservation and were mindful of the need to treat animals with respect.
    They do, and so does Bear.

So now there is a Chief Scout who not only kills animals needlessly for t.v. shows, but who will obviously now set an example of cruelty to animals as an accepted part of Scouting culture.
    Because you have decided this? Killing and eating of animals is not necessarily cruel and I have certainly taught Scouts to skin, dissect and cook animals.

The wayward and violent youngsters of today, especially in the Western world and the UK in particular, do NOT need his examples of animal cruelty.
    What a load of rubbish you are chucking out a massive generalisation that I do not recognise. The YP I deal with in Scouting are neither wayward nor violent.

I am sure that the Animal Rights organisations will not let this appointment go unchallenged.
    Get a grip the fanatics that make up the very vocal minority of Animal Rights organisations will acknowledge the fantastic work Scouting does in helping YP discover and care for their world.

With disgust.
    C.J.Brady
    Back at you, sorry to disagree but any extremist view needs to be challenged and basing a view of a person based on a few moments of a telly vision programme is a very worrying trend.

Good to have you on board C.J. I wonder where you do your Scouting?
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Wandering ESL
    Thanks
    Er that was posted 4 years ago you know - I think he's probably long gone....

Very true your points though :-) I'm about to teach my mob how to skin a rabbit for tea...
    Founder of the BBBS

The Bring Bushfella Back Society. Join if you think he should stay. http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thre...ng-Cold-Turkey