View Poll Results: Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bear is a fantastic choice

215 65.15%
  • Don't Know Yet - Ill reserve judgement untill he has been here a while

95 28.79%
  • No - I don't like him as Chief Scout at all

20 6.06%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout?

Do you think Bear Grylls was a good choice of Chief Scout or would you rather of had someone else?

Thanks
    I voted don't know.

I've only seen one of his shows and found it a bit too heavy reality show format for me.

But having seen, heard and read the interviews and the off the cuff stuff he says, he really does seem the real deal in a way that PD bless him couldn't given his background.

He's right in the 'zone' for an adult leader and has tremendous natural enthusiasm.

I'd give him an SL or ESL role in my group if he showed up at ours.

I hope he doesn't get bogged down with the great and good of the movement. He is like the young SL/ESL he needs to be out doing it with the scouts.

The nonsense about did he do it for real (5 star hotels) is a red herring. Naivety at worst in letting some production tart script up the danger when they were obviously not doing it.

Never believe anything on the telly!

So high hopes and maybe my vote will change.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Account Closed
    Thanks
    My feelings are exactly the same as Don's on this one.

Certainly, if Bear had wandered into my Scout hut one day, he wouldn't have been allowed to leave without an AA form and a CRB form clutched firmly in his paw! I admit that in the past on I have described him variously as 'a bit of a headbanger' and 'Steve Irwin on Speed' but having now seen him talking carefully and calmly on television with a neckerchief around his neck rather than a python, I am sure that if I met him socially, I would get on with him.

One thing that really encourages me is the reaction of my Scouts to the appointment. Rather than 'Peter Duncan - Peter who?' which was their view of our present CS (sorry Peter, it was my generation and those just a bit younger who remember 'Duncan Dares' and 'Blue Peter'), the reaction was 'Wow!' 'Cool' and 'Now everyone will want to join!' The other leaders were somewhat more restrained, welcoming Wayne's appointment wholeheartedly and holding fire on Bear.

One mum, reading the email I sent just after the announcement at midnight, emailed me back and accused me of having spent the night on the cheap red plonk or having had a touch too much sun over the weekend! She sent a further embarrassed apology the next morning after watching 'Breakfast' and discovering that it was true and not the deranged imaginings of her daughter's Scout Leader!

Like Don then, I wait in hope and will see in time.

Thanks
    Yes I think he was a good choice. At least my Explorers had heard of him.

Whether he was the best choice I'll never know as I don't know who the other serious contenders were. I assume those who did know picked the best of the bunch in their opinion.

There was a burst of interest in the press at the time but it all seems to have gone quiet now. The truth of how good he is for us will be how much he can keep us in the public eye over the next few years.

I'm much more interested in how Wayne gets on. I get the impression that the Chief Commissioner role is much more like the old Chief Scout position - a Scouter's Chief Scout, whereas Bear is the Media's Chief Scout.

I tend to liken this to the Queen, the PM and the Chancellor. The Queen is the public head of state, the PM the day to day head of state and the Chancellor holds the purse strings. We have Bear, Wayne and Derek Twine in similar positions.

We live in interesting times......
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    I really want him to visit my Scout Group!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    There was a burst of interest in the press at the time but it all seems to have gone quiet now. The truth of how good he is for us will be how much he can keep us in the public eye over the next few years.
    We're never going to get constant media coverage! I think that more important than Bear being in the media for us is how he can change the perception of Scouting to what it really is, rather than the outdated version currently existing in the minds of most journalists and members of the general public.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    I've also voted "don't know" as I think that from what I've seen this week he has been brilliant, but what I've seen in the past I wasn't sure.
    If he can keep up with the enthusiasm and remember not to create (or be involved in any more) controversy then I think he will be fine. Just because he didn't say he was specifically doing something, that is different to saying he is specifically NOT doing something. For example, on Steve Wright on Tuesday he was asked "aren't you the youngest person to have climbed Everest", of which a great answer (and an impressive claim) would have been "at the time I was the youngest Brit". Instead he didn't answer and talked about something else. I'm sure it was an oversight and I REALLY want him to do well , because as I've said, his enthusiam needs to be bottled and supplied to many groups and leaders I know. What I don't want is for him to give his critics the opportunity or ammunition to have a go at him
    In addition, he does have a tendency in his shows to be fighting nature (which is what survival is) rather than trying to be a little more harmonious with it (which is what we try and teach the YP) then i think that would help.
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    What I really noticed in his interviews were the fact that, he was very enthusiastic about Scouting and that he was doing current things, he's know worldwide.

Much of the critisimn levelled at Peter Duncan surrounded the lack of authority for Scouters, this partnership means that specific void has been filled.

I said yes

Thanks
    I was initially unsure but having seen his enthusiasm and realistic approach in interviews this week I think he'll be really good.

Thanks
    I answered yes. Although I don't like his programmes (bug eating is not for me) he came across, like others have said, as really keen on Scouting.

Not sure how many of my Beavers will know who he is, I will find out tonight, but they were impressed a couple of weeks ago that the 'Hamster' was a Cub and Scout.

When I explained to my own son who Bear Grylls was, and what he does, he asked if it meant we would be trying bugs at Beavers....
    People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. Eleanor Roosevelt.

Emma
    BSL Lightning Beaver Colony
    2nd Brize Norton (RAF) Air Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What I really noticed in his interviews were the fact that, he was very enthusiastic about Scouting and that he was doing current things, he's know worldwide.

Much of the critisimn levelled at Peter Duncan surrounded the lack of authority for Scouters, this partnership means that specific void has been filled.

I said yes
    I think this is right, although I suspect that even without Wayne or the appointment of a UK Chief Commissioner, Bear would have more authority amongst Scouters in that he seems much more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Scouting for what it is.

Bob

Thanks
    I had the pleasure of meeting bear when all the pre publicity was done a few weeks ago and was very impressed with how he came acroos to both the young people and leaders that were there. He was such a natural with everyone, and his enthusiasm this week in all the media he has done is great. All the young people involved thought it would be brilliant too. A great double act to come from him and Wayne in the next few years I think!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jowinslade View Post
    A great double act to come from him and Wayne in the next few years I think!
    I voted yes and feel also that this partnership can be all things to everyone. I've not heard Wayne's name before but I like what I'm hearing, and feel it's healthy that his name is getting heard above the sonic boom that is the Bear factor...and doing an Escout Q & A so soon is great too.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

nele
    Thanks
    We told the scouts on Wednesday and they were all pleased as they knew his TV programmes.
    There were some questions about whether they'd have to eat live grubs etc at the next camp. Wasnt in my plan, but who knows

Thanks
    I asked the Cubs tonight if they knew the name of the person who was going to take over from Peter Duncan as Chief Scout - I got as far as Peter when the hands started to go up. 4 knew his name, and then when I asked them who had heard of him another dozen or so shot up. They seemed really happy.