Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE That Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts

RE That Thread

Those who missed the bout of handbags at dawn will have to excuse the convoluted content of this post - should they read it. My apologies.

I have slept on the matter and given it considerable thought and whilst the thread has now been blocked, I am still somewhat bemused by the reaction to the post (as are one or two others). Time to let that one go. I think honour has been satisfied.

However, it has also been brought to my attention that some people may have jumped to conclusions about my stance on a particular issue. I don't feel a need to clarify my despise of discrimination, nor of those who perpetuate discrimination of any shape or form but it has been suggested that maybe some confusion was created by my use of the term Liberal Pinko.

Just to clarify, the term is an Americanism used to describe those who by American standards are considered to be communist leaning. I did wonder if the etymology of the word had changed, so I checked and it hasn't. It was used as a counter to Right Wing Reactionary no more, no less.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I have to say that interpretation of emails is a great thing and shows how easy it is to read certain things into an email. BIG PROBLEM WITH ANY FORUM not just ESCOUTS.

Obviously the moderators have an arduous task of deciding what should or should not be removed.

At least they have a set of rules that guide them and stick to them rightly or wrongly.

We may not like them or disagree with them but hey it could be worse.

Just think a set of rules lets call them ESCOUTS POR which we all know and stick to.The moderators could have decided to have a County Moderators interpretation and then replace this with a district moderator’s interpretation via local rules. All of that could be quite disastrous...................and then it would have to be down to the individual users going off and realizing what the rules of Escouts POR are taking the interpretations and adopting their own practices to use a system that is good but becomes bad when peoples interpretations muddy the waters??

Basically Ewan you were too candid!

At least the ESCOUTS team stuck to the rules which is a breath of fresh air when it comes to some Scout organizations>.......
    Enjoying the great outdoors in New Zealand

Thanks
    At least the ESCOUTS team stuck to the rules which is a breath of fresh air when it comes to some Scout organizations>.......
    I have no dispute IF that was what was being done, but the application of the rules varies. Should one wish, it is possible to scan through posts and find quite a range of breaches that have never been questioned.

Candid, I may have been but I am deeply concerned and have taken what steps I can to try and help bring about some resolution to the OPs ongoing issues, and he is, or should be, aware of what has been done. I did not post lightly or as a knee jerk response.

I would hope that someone would do the same for me should the need arise.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Ewan, you get my vote as someone whose comments I value and enjoy reading.

You are, as some of us on ESCOUTS a very Candid person that appears to be outspoken skilled and knowledgable about Scouting. As you are aware we all get through the system at times and the moderators try and stop all breaches but people like us will sometimes get through thats the nature of people. I dislike many things in the SA but get on with my Group as this brings so much pleasure to so many people I value. The ones that try and stop this I will eventually put to the verbal sword!

In the meantime you will not get a better Forum than ESCOUTS to get things off your chest! At times through reading emails some people will not understnad what we are trying to transmit but that is the nature of emails. Its not a excellent world/SA/or Forum but its the best we have.

Group hug from me for the comments that you have provided to date.

Thanks
    Can I be daft and ask what post / thread we are talking about? I must have missed it somewhere...!!

Bob

Thanks
    Me too! Get sick for one day and miss excitement on E scouts!
    Ewan I have always enjoyed your debates and think that you contribute greatly to the forum.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Guys. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm not going to give the moderators apoplexy by repeating what I posted though I still see nothing wrong with it. The aim of the post has been achieved and I hope that one way or another the OP will benefit from it.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Oh well, Doug and I will just have to keep guessing!!

Bob

Thanks
    Ewan

As I said previously said you simply broke the rules as the comments you made were POTENTIALLY personal. Whilst I'm sure you thought over these comments at length, on this board they cannot be accepted. You could have however said similar things and given the same advice, without making it POTENTIALLY personal, that could have remained on the board.

Furthermore, you then reposted the same comments, which we had already said had broken the rules. That type of behaviour challenges the patience of the moderation team.

As I said you could have worded you comments quite easily so that they didnt break the rules of the board.

So why that post? Simple we received several complaints, its that simple. On judgement it broke the rules. Its that simple.

The rules and procedures of the forum WERE followed. A lot of people people read and use Escouts and the moderators HAVE to make judgements, at times. It's a bit of a balancing act and I know we cant please everyone all of the time.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Thanks
    Richard,

I broke down the message deliberately in order that you could point out to me EXACTLY where it fell foul of the rule. And why there was a need to remove the whole of the post. I was not being provocative, I wanted to know why it was an issue as I saw no issue with it. If I had thought it were going to be an issue I quite simply would not have posted in the first place.

It happens that I would have let it go but for the fact that your editing comments were potentially libellous, and that you left things looking like I had made an outrageous attack on the OP. Which I had not.

My post was not intended to be insensitive but hopefully help the OP come to some resolution of ongoing issues which he repeatedly seems to come up against. If that falls foul of the rules then I despair.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Richard I agree that Ewan via ESCOUTS broke the ESCOUTS rules and that it as I said great that you stick by your rules…………..

However, as Doug and others didn’t see that thread it would mean that Ewan could be perceived to be someone that he is not imho.

I think challenge is good……………….. and people in scouts and scout associations need challenging more and to stop hiding behind the well we are only volunteers badge, albeit it is very tiring as you say it was something that was potentially personal not actually personal.

Ewan could have worded things different but I think from Ewans past posts he appears to be a straight talking person and email can be interpreted many ways and sometimes straight talking can be seen to be offensive when it is not. That’s emails……

Getting complaints is also useful as we can all learn something from this and I am sure that Ewan has learned more than others! Let’s hope the complainants have……

I appreciate that you have a very hard job and that to moderate a site like this is extremely difficult and I am sure that everyone thinks you and the rest of the moderators are doing a wonderful job. I do!

Lest hope that Ewan has more to say on other matters and continues to post!!!

Thanks
    Well said!

Where does this fall in the big grand scheme of life! Somewhere near the floor - this is an online forum, misunderstandings happen - move on! It's really not important, and too petty a thing to get into an argument over...

I've been a senior moderator on a site with over 300,000 users - so I can sympathize with both sides.

Can I suggest this topic is locked, the subject forgotten about and if Richard & Ewan want to continue the debate that they do it by Private Message.
    Last edited by Dave; 04-06-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: remove deleted quote
    The Online PA Company - providing virtual personal assistant services to businesses across the UK.

Thanks
    Ben are you wanting to be a censor or being a moderator.

It is obviously not a petty thing if people want to discuss it..........is it?

Shall we forget or just sweep it under the carpet..........Sounds like a complaints proceedure that I have been frustrated with in an association?

If people have views lets air them as long as it doesnt break the rules!

Thanks
    I wasn't complaining about the original postings, more this thread and the debate that has come afterwards...

I'm all in favour of open discussion, but the forums have rules. They are set by the moderation team, it is up for the moderation team to choose how to manage the forum. In the end it's their say that counts, and it's up to them. Moderators have their discretion and have to make a judgement, in this case Richard has and we must follow it.

They own the forum, they pay for it, it's up to them quite simply in the end.
    The Online PA Company - providing virtual personal assistant services to businesses across the UK.

Thanks
    We know who owns the Forum and we know who does the hard work and thank you for that!

Your views as valid as they are, is where some associations go wrong. Without the users there would be no forum and again the same for associations. What about the users say? doesnt that count?

I thought that Richard said that was the last he was going to say on the matter, I didnt think he said that was the end of all discussion and I am going to take my ball home?