Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time To Go

Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,590 Posts

Time To Go

For many years it seems, Escouts has been part of my almost daily routine. I have benifitted greatly from many of the threads. I have enjoyed many debates, however robust, with many people over the years and I appreciated and enjoyed every one of those exchanges. I'd like to thank you all for being part of my Scouting experience here.

I have always been open, and honest in my postings, I have never gone behind anyone's back to complain about any lack of taste, infringement or other questionable posting - I've always taken them as part of the give and take.

In my posts I have never intentionally aimed to offend any sector or individual; though by the nature of one or two of the discussions diametrically opposed ideals can never be brought together - but as I recall an agreement to disagree has always been followed by fresh discussions, often where past adversaries ended up singing the same songs. That is what open discussion is about, surely.

In my recent post, in an attempt to help a fellow Scouter - with hindsight I realise that much of the background to the post will not be known to most here as it happened on UKRS - I appear to have breached rules though no-one can point out exactly where. In defending my position I have done EXACTLY what the original poster whom I was responding to may have done. I overstated my case - which I still believe is correct - and in so doing have met the same result that I was trying to guide him away from. I feel that having upset so many people by being so robust in my own defence, that it is time for at least a sabbatical from the Escout Forums.

For the meantime, a thank you to the Escouts Team for all the fantastic time and effort that you put in to keeping the Forum and the Hosting available to us. A thank you for all the technical support that you have given that has made our sites possible (advice that was never forthcoming from any commercial provider). And a big thank you to all those who have taken my exchanges as they were always intended.

Good luck and best wishes to you all, and in particular to Frazer Mountford. I pray to God that you manage to find a resolution soon.

As our Pfadi Colleagues say

Gute Fahrt
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    ??? No idea what it's about Ewan, perhaps I've not seen the thread but you'll be sadly missed esp because of your experience!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 790 Posts
    You certainly haven't upset me and I don't think you have upset many other users at all I would really hope that you will continue your involvement in the Escouts community as I for one value your input, even if I don't always agree with you but then life would be boring if we all agreed all the time.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I think this is a shame but i respect your intention. I have only been on here a few months or so and have read lots of threads that interest me and some that don't. It is a pity that we will no longer have your opinion wihc i have always found to be forthright, balanced and honest. Too mnay threads are clogged up with pure assumptions and home spun philosphies that have little use.
    Good luck to you and hope you find you can come back as we need voices like yours to be heard.

Thanks
    Ewan, I hope your sabbatical is not too long and that you pop in every now and then to see us. I for one will miss your contributions, and although I admit I won't read threads when they get a bit 'heated' I do enjoy your posts.

Thanks
    Ewan,

Best wishes for the future and don't be a stranger.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Ewan I'm very sorry you feel the need to go. You'll certainly be missed.
    Please re-consider.

CSL 16th Harrogate

Thanks
    I'm usually easy going on here but Ewan, I think your mad taking a sabbatical or otherwise and I hope your break is no more than a sit down with a beer to reconsider!

This situation has largely gone over my head and if folk have felt the need to register disquiet over it via PMs than that is surely their perogative? You are a black and white poster and just about any forum needs your type of character to >ahem< bring balance to the force.

On a personal note I look forward to your posts on the Bushcraft and Nature Social Group. I reckon you'll find leaving Escouts alone like trying to give something up...You'll crack matey!

Click here for Euanwatch...http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/memb...e&ltr=B&page=9
    Last edited by Mang; 05-06-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added the last bit.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    i think we can invest a lot of emotional energy into something we feel strongly about....and when that is a forum, it can be very beneficial to take a step back, if only for a week or two, and just take stock. what do you get out of it? What do you need from it? I hope you come back too!
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Somehow I missed whatever it was which triggered this sad thread! I will miss you Ewan, very much, as will all those whom you have helped, guided, agreed with and, indeed, occasionally disagreed with!

I sincerely hope that you are serious about this being only a sabatical. Your skill, knowledge and sage advice are very much needed around here. Step back by all means, take stock but then come back. There are many of us who rely upon your trusted advice!

Best wishes,

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    ? You are a black and white poster and just about any forum needs your type of character to >ahem< bring balance to the force.

On a personal note I look forward to your posts on the Bushcraft and Nature Social Group. I reckon you'll find leaving Escouts alone like trying to give something up...You'll crack matey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    I sincerely hope that you are serious about this being only a sabatical. Your skill, knowledge and sage advice are very much needed around here. Step back by all means, take stock but then come back. There are many of us who rely upon your trusted advice!
    Ewan
    As has been said I will miss you if you leave you have much to offer this forum.

I am hope the situation (I also missed) does not lead to you leaving us. I can see that you have been plain speaking on many occasions which I admire.

Hope to see you soon
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    Ewan, you can give as good as you get. Try and keep giving and getting

Good luck

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    I too must have missed the posting.

Ewan your postings on here have always been balanced and informative and I will miss your input. I think you are being hard on yourself and if you do feel like a sabbatical then I suggest as an other poster has suggested that you take the time to have a beverage of your choice then count up to 10 and come back.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Thanks
    Ewan, sorry you feel that it has come to this. I'd urge you to make your sabattical very short. You are a valued member of the forum and your comments and input will be greatly missed. Take care and hope to be hearing from you soon!
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Hey Ewan

I'd like to echo the sentiment shown here... i missed that which you seem to have been embroiled in, so hope that too many people didn't turn their backs over whatever it was.

Check in now and again... and don't make it too long!!!

Best, in Scouting!
    Yours in Scouting, Traditionally!

Julian Lenahan

Acle Scout Group (B-PSA)
    Jamboree 2008 Team - It may be over, but i'm still a Jamboree 2008 team member!!!