Thread: Risk Assessment

Thanks

Risk Assessment

My wife who said she wouldnt camp in a tent ever decided that Scouting would never be for her. She learned that Beavers slept in centres and HQs and thought ok its time for her to join the Sea Adventure.........

Last week at a Scout camp which will remain nameless they had to do risk Assessments re her nights away permit. When they risk assessed the bunk beds for beavers even the instructors said that they would not pass.............

Quite interesting as when I did my nights away we did the same at another scout camp site and they too wouldnt pass the required standards????

Its obvious that the answer is to go to the Scout camp site for a pre visit and do your own risk assessment and then make a judgement call.

How many other Scout camp sites fall into not having the right bunks for Beavers?

Do you think that given the fact that we all do risk assessments that we could perhaps start a list of sites with a star rating?
    Enjoying the great outdoors in New Zealand

nele
    Thanks
    Perhaps it would be more useful to pass on this information to the relevant campsite, district or county. If they want to hire accomodation to YP/groups they shouldn't provide substandard equipment. If the equipment /beds etc are unsuitable for an age group, then they should make that plain.

It isnt always possible to make a pre camp assessment of a building, as it may be occupied when you can visit. So it would be good to know that you can rely on standards.
    I presume if their equipment caused an accident they would be liable. Ive certainly stayed at places where some bunks couldnt be used because they were collapsing, and others were very rickety. Luckily noone got hurt That wasnt owned by scouts, and we did comment to the person who'd done the organising.

I would say its better to provide no beds (take a mat and sleep on the floor) then to provide dangerous ones. A camp venue doesnt have to provide luxury, just be plain about what is available and that should be in good safe working order.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Will do a full reply later, but at a guess, has this got something to do with the Entrapment Regulations?
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    My wife was at a Girls Brigade nights away type course last weekend. Their instructor went to great detail to explain that bunk beds without guard rails were a definate no no, even for the Senior Girls (scout age range).

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    A site visit is a pre-requisite for any trip I do as a teacher, even a mueseum. I would hope any Scout Association bunk room would comply ?

Nick

Thanks
    A site visit is required for a nights away experience unless you are a regular user of the facility.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    A site visit is required for a nights away experience unless you are a regular user of the facility.
    Come on Don... you know what comes next. Please show us the documented rule

Otherwise, yes, it's good practice, and recommended. But AFAIK not a requirement.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

nele
    Thanks
    I realise a site visit is good practice.. and I do these if possible, before booking a new site.

However if I was bringing a group over to the UK and staying at a scout run campsite I would probably forgo the visit, as would most other groups from overseas. The cost and time requirement would just be too great. (Unless we had someone visiting the UK anyway). I also can imagine a group from Scotland might not make an advance visit to somewhere in the South of England .
    I know for a fact that groups coming to Belgium from the UK don't necessarily visit in advance.

Now I would have assumed a UK scout run campsite or hall would comply with safety rules.. and/or would have told us if their accomodation was unsuitable. Just as I expect a large scout camps or events to have proper and safe facilities (and those cannot be visited in advance as they are often built for the event)

Thanks
    If these are Scout run or Scout approved sites, should they not have their own risk assessments?

You should ask for a copy of them - I suspect these would make interesting reading in light of the above...?
    Graham

10th Airedale__(formerly of)__2nd Holme Valley

http://twitter.com/10thairedale
    http://tenthairedalescouts.terapad.com/
    ------------------------------------
    I think my friend is addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can stop anytime...

Unless otherwise stated any views expressed are my own and not that of any association I am connected with.