Thread: Why did the SA get rid of headwear?

Thanks

Why did the SA get rid of headwear?

Mr. Duncan didn't answer this so I'm hoping you might

Why did the SA get rid of berets/4-dent hats for scouts and cub caps?

They only really are to be worn in meetings for flag break and/or grand howl and are useful when out and about as a group. It does look awful when groups are out in uniform but have an array of different hats and baseball caps. The cup cap itself is a proper iconic English cap not like the horrible American baseball caps that now are an option to uniform. The uniform really isn’t complete without a cap.
    I can’t see cost being an issue as it was fine right up to the 1980s

I realise that the SA is now obsessed with trying to look modern and trendy but this was a useful part of uniform and in my experience the kids love wearing them.
    Last edited by jshirra; 16-06-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: changed title

Thanks
    Hi Trevor,

I think this is something we may have to agree to differ on. In my personal experience I never found the headwear useful or that I or the young people loved them. On being appointed Commissioner for Guernsey the first thing I did was abolish the wearing of Cub Caps (which my predecessors had retained), the only people to complain were a small number of Cub Leaders, not a single young person.

TSA has certainly taken a number of steps over the past 10 years to re-energise itself and improve its image, and this is part of the reason that we are now a vibrant growing youth movement against the trend for other uniform and service organisations.

Don't agree that we are obsessed, just recognised the importance of our image if we are serious about wanting to help more young people.

Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bulpittw View Post
    On being appointed Commissioner for Guernsey the first thing I did was abolish the wearing of Cub Caps (which my predecessors had retained), the only people to complain were a small number of Cub Leaders, not a single young person.

TSA has certainly taken a number of steps over the past 10 years to re-energise itself and improve its image, and this is part of the reason that we are now a vibrant growing youth movement against the trend for other uniform and service organisations.
    Hello, thank you for replying

I relise that this is all a moot point, but I do strongly disagree with all of this

I personally find that very sad that a part of uniform can just be jettisoned like that. At cub age they are bound not to complain about it!

The uniform was never about fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by bulpittw View Post
    Don't agree that we are obsessed, just recognised the importance of our image if we are serious about wanting to help more young people.
    The thing is, you can help young people (or boys and girls as we say) without constantly changing the badge system and uniform. Even after all your changes, the image people think of in their minds eye when they see a Scout is still the 1950s Scout. It is such a strong image, I think you should embrace it rather than be embarrassed by it.

You certainly do not see churches changing their cassocks etc. every few years to try and move with the times for the want of an example.

I don't know why the 'growing of the moment', 'moving with the times' etc. has to mean diluting and jettisoning things, but that is pretty much what it comes down to! Every change appears to effect a weaker version of the former. I do not mean any disrespect but this is how it appears to me.
    Last edited by tdjno; 16-06-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks
    As I said, lets agree to differ.
    Wayne Bulpitt