Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Contact

Thanks

Home Contact

According to the f/s you need a Home Contact outside your home Area.

Your Home Area is set by your DC.

We are having problems with this, our GSL thinks he can over rule th DC he says we need a Home Contact to go to Archery at the scout camp about 15 mins away.

Is there anyone what that can advise what a reasonable area/drive time is without havig a Home contact

Thanks in Advance

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I don't know the correct answer, we only have home contacts for hikes and camps. In this case though, I would suggest that you go along with your GSL if only not to ruffle any feathers. In this instance, I would ask your GSL to be the home contact for the event.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Depends. Your home area is the usual boundary, ie, if it is inside your District you don't need a HC.

However, a reasonable DC would say that if you can travel ten miles in one direction and still be "at home" then it is reasonable to say that a radius of 10 miles from your base would not require a HC.

I think there has to be some test of reasonable expectation. The question is, as always, where do you draw the line?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutleader View Post
    According to the f/s you need a Home Contact outside your home Area.
    Not what the factsheet says! What it actually says is that you need a Home Contact when undertaking adventurous activities outside your home area. Is target Archery an 'Adventurous Activity' and is 15 mins drive 'outside your home area'? I suggest that the answer to both questions is probably, 'No' - but you do need to read the rules about Archery carefully. However, if the GSL is insisting on a home contact, then the easy answer is that the GSL is the home contact or, if he is going with you, then he organises the home contact.

EDIT: In our Group, when practical, I am usually the HC for Cub events and the Cub Leader is usually HC for Scout Events. - It works for us!
    Last edited by Dramatist; 03-07-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Add Edit

Thanks
    Just on a practical note, though I wouldn't disagree with any of the comments above, having a HC is useful for if something happens that requires the time and attention of the adults there and therefore wouldn't allow them the time to do ring rounds, explain what is happening, change of plans etc. I'd guess that doesn't make any difference where you are or how far you are from "home" - the same issues apply.
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 845 Posts
    I don't get a home contact for anything within Leeds, in this age of mobile phones it just seems a complete waste of time and effort. I do use them for activities out of Leeds (hikes, visits, camps etc)

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I use them for day activities regardless of where they are - if the event is an hour up the road I make sure the DESC is aware, but wouldn't use the HC system.

I don't recall ever having to contact the HC - I also feel it is a little unnecessary with Explorers as they tend to live on phones and text all the time!!

Barney

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just to note that a replacement for the HC system is on trial in three counties currently...
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    Just to note that a replacement for the HC system is on trial in three counties currently...
    What counties are they, and does anyone have any details on this possible system??

Thanks
    What counties are they, and does anyone have any details on this possible system??
    I'm pretty sure CATVOG is one of them, but otherwise I don't know.
    Matthew

Thanks
    Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan (CATVOG) is one of them, along with Wiltshire and South West Scotland.

To be honest though, as it's a trail, it's unfair to speculate. The trail may fail really badly and go "back to the drawing board"

However, the overriding basic is that you decide what procedure for contacting home will be used, for EACH and ALL events (including those at the HQ - which may be a simple as "leaders have mobile phones and a record of parents phone numbers"), rather than a the system being a person.

nele
    Thanks
    Lets hope common sense prevails.

We can't do the no home contact in the district thing.. because our district is 2 whole countries.

So we got given rules... basically any time beavers or cubs leave the grounds they need a HC
    Scouts may go about 1km from base and Explorers about 2km (its laid down more specifically but that wouldn't mean anything to you)
    Personally I think thats too restrictive.. but I do as Im told.

However on the rare occasions Ive had something happen, Ive rung the parent direct. Otherwise you have to explain everything twice, and then the parent rings you back to find out more...
    Only exception was late arrival back from camps, when HC rang the whole list for me.

Thanks
    At the moment, our Explorer Unit work on the premise that our "home area" is anywhere up to around an hour's drive - and anything overnight is covered anyway.

So for most one-day or evening activities, we don't use a home contact. In any case, for most of our activities (hillwalking, climbing, kayaking) if you get into trouble there's going to be no mobile coverage anyway. If we're going to be late back, then the Explorers ring their own parents (sometimes borrowing leaders' mobiles) once we're in the car.

Where possible we carry VHF radio, to get around the issues of lack of mobile coverage - and we normally walk as two independant groups.

Thanks
    OOOh I have had this exact argument with someone before now. We live on the fringes of the district. Technically, if we drove 30 minutes away to the other edge of the district, we would not need a HC because we would still be in the "home area". But if we walk 8 minutes away, we are in another district, and therefore need a HC. Nonsense huh!

So now we Beavers follow a common sense approach - if parents can be with us within 15 minutes of a call, we dont have a HC. If we are further away, we do. May not be keeping to the exact rules, but certainly fits the spirit and intent.
    Tomahawk

I don't do glitter.

Thanks

Pedantry

POR 7.1 & 9.3 (to be sure, to be sure) requires a Home Contact "when an activity takes members ...away from their home area"
    Factsheet 120078 adds "..home area usually as defined by the DC"
    and gives examples of when a Home Contact is strongly recommended:
    - Beaver Scout Colony outings;
    - Cub Scout Pack day trips;
    - Any adventurous activities of a prolonged nature that does not take the participants away from the home area.

Having been in the position (non scouting) of dealing with a (totally unexpected) fatality, I strongly suggest that having a Home Contact takes an awful lot of the admin burden away from those on the scene who will be having an absolutely torrid and distressing time. A Home Contact can remain impartial. relatively detached and just get on with being the single point of contact.
    Note that it's not necessarily the activity that's the issue, it's getting there, Road Traffic Accidents are indiscriminate.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)