Thread: "My Backpack" access rights

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks

"My Backpack" access rights

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to drop this one on you, but this is just sheer frustration now.

As an Area Scout Network Commissioner, when somebody who already holds a leader role joined Network, I was able to go into their record and change their member type to "Scout Network".

With the latest changes to the system, and moving the "Edit" button to a link at the top of the screen, I nolonger seem to have access to do this. This is absolutely essential to recording Network membership.

Also, the exported data files used to contain a date of birth field. This has now been removed. Which now means it's impossible to look at the county leadership list, and tell who from it who is eligable to join Network!

We've been making an effort recently to keep all of our Network records in Backpack, so that we don't have loose data flying around the place. But these changes seriously hamper our ability to do so.

Please, can you find out, and let us know:
    a) Why these changes have been made?
    b) Who is responsible for strategic management of Backpack, and the Association's website?
    c) Who is accountable for decision making when it comes to access rights for Backpack?
    Last edited by MikeJ; 30-07-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: prefix
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Hi Peter,
    Having chatted to James Wren, he advises "that your role was not set up correctly in the access rights list, it was missed by a member of the team during set-up so please pass on our apologies and thank him for highlighting the issue. This has now been corrected.

If he experiences any more problems please pass let him know that he can use the feedback form on the site or email [email protected]"

Turning to your questions:

a) Why these changes have been made?
    A new security matrix was developed when we changed systems supplier. We released the new product as a beta to let users know that there may be some issues and have included a feedback form to encourage people to report issues.
    b) Who is responsible for strategic management of Backpack, and the Association's website?
    Developments to the membership system are prioritised by the Senior Management Team. The website as a whole rests with the Head of Corporate Communications.
    c) Who is accountable for decision making when it comes to access rights for Backpack?
    The security rights for the system are based on consultation with the Movement and on legal advice (me ultimately!).

Hope this helps,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for the quick response Wayne, much appreciated

I wonder though - was this by any chance to do with my role being labelled as Area Scout Network Commissioner, and not County Scout Network Commissioner - i.e. the database sees them as two distinct roles with their own set of permissions (even if these should be the same) rather than one role with a different name?

If that's the case, could the Area Scout Network Administrator role be checked too, as one of my colleagues in a different Area was having similar problems.

It would be really really helpful though, if a definitive list of what roles have what access can be published!
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"