Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to get Full Appointment

Thanks

Time to get Full Appointment

I'm still listed by HQ as being on a Provisional Appointment. I can't remember when I completed Getting Started, but it must have been well over a year ago, and my (then) TA sent an email to the Appointments Secretary and Chairman and the DC to confirm that I had completed in February this year, after I asked him to.

Because I'm still listed as provisional I don't have an appointment card, and don't have full access to My Backpack.

My DC has tried updating me on his Backpack, but because I was on the old paper system it doesn't work.

Infocentre say they can't do anything, because it has to be done by the district.

I'm not far off completing my woodbadge (actually, two woodbadges - I decided to finish off the SL one as well as doing the GSL one) and still have nothing I can shew anyone to prove I am a leader.

Anyone got any hints or tips about what I should do?

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Section C of your original AA form needs to be sent to Gilwell by your district!
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    OK, I've emailed him telling him that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 845 Posts
    I am in the same situation (but mainly due to lack of training due to problems with TAs) now I have done a large portion of my modules but still have only a provisional appointment (despite all the getting started modules being recorded as complete on my backpack), My current TA who is our former DC reckons that my AA form has probably been lost as it is several years old now and we have had a change of appointments secretary but he can't understand why they have not just created a duplicate Section C and sent it off.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

nele
    Thanks
    It seems incredible that they should require a section of a form and not have an alternative. So often forms etc go missing en route, or secretaries change and paperwork goes missing.

If there isnt a way to sort this out for people, who are being delayed through no fault of their own, it's time that one was devised..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    It seems incredible that they should require a section of a form and not have an alternative. So often forms etc go missing en route, or secretaries change and paperwork goes missing.

If there isnt a way to sort this out for people, who are being delayed through no fault of their own, it's time that one was devised..
    Print off a new section C and fill it in? It's only tying up a set of numbers and signatures (membership, CRB, references, etc)

Thanks
    I'm still in the same position, and don't know what to do - it is rather demoralizing to give so much time and effort to Scouting and get treated like this.

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    It can also be held up by the DC not completing the last part of the appointments which involves him/her clicking the part 'commissioners approval' on My Backpack. Until this box is ticked, HQ will not issue an appointment card.
    I am assuming that you exist on the dasebase? Your TA or someone in your Group can get your membership number, which would allow you to check your info.
    I finished my woodbadge, and had Gilwell acknowledge it before my appointment was put to full, because of one box not being completed.
    From next week, everything will be processed in the district, because of the new appointments system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Akela View Post
    It can also be held up by the DC not completing the last part of the appointments which involves him/her clicking the part 'commissioners approval' on My Backpack. Until this box is ticked, HQ will not issue an appointment card.
    I am assuming that you exist on the dasebase? Your TA or someone in your Group can get your membership number, which would allow you to check your info.
    I finished my woodbadge, and had Gilwell acknowledge it before my appointment was put to full, because of one box not being completed.
    From next week, everything will be processed in the district, because of the new appointments system.
    My DC did try updating me on My Backpack, but it didn't work properly (and was reverted by Gilwell) because of the lack of the piece of paper (Part C of Form AA) being sent to Gilwell. I've got my membership number and every so often, more in hope than expectation, check my details on My Backpack.

The only other leader in my Group who has an appointment (several waiting for them) is my SL - but he shows on the system as an ASL for the same reason as my appointment shows as provisional. He doesn't get mailings from Gilwell that he should get because of this.

Thanks
    Has your DC tried speaking directly to somebody in Records/Appointments at Gilwell?

I phoned them up the other day as I was having trouble with recording some adults with appointments as also being network members, plus a couple of duplicate and completely corrupted records. All of the issues (involving about 6 records in total) were sorted out over the phone in about 10 minutes by an incredibly helpful person.

Thanks
    A radical solution is for the appointments secretary to ring the membership people at Gilwell and ask them to update it. If they won't then they will also tell the AS why - which means that you know what needs to be fixed.
    * darn it! Beaten by Peter again.

Thanks
    I've told my DC exactly what Gilwell have told me needs to be done. To be fair to him, the problem dates to a previous appointments bloke and committee, and I strongly suspect he hasn't been given all the paperwork he should have been.

Thanks

Unhappy

I don't know whether to be heartened by the fact that I'm not alone or to cry!

What a ridiculous system!

Account Closed
    Thanks
    i have been an Akela for 15 years 2 months, have Woodbeads, but my position as leader is registered as Provisional. Perhaps when I step down as Akela at Christmas this year, I will get full membership
    AkelaMick

nele
    Thanks
    Akelamick, anytime you change your appointment (say from ACSL to CSL) your appointment then becomes provisional again. A training advisor is supposed to PLP you, and tick off all training you already have, and identify any training you need , so your appointment can become full again.

This is one of the reasons Im still down as ASL after Ive been SL for years.. no-one changed the appointment when they should have, and if I do it now I'll have to go through the rigmarole.. even though I have woodbeads and as a TA/LTM run modules 1, 2 & 3..