Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parent rota & CRB

Thanks

Parent rota & CRB

I've got 12 sets of parents that I'd like to put on a rota but if they're only doing it once a term do all of them have to be disclosed (CRB'd). It's a lot of paperwork and expense for the SA if they do for an hour every 3-4 months
    Blue Beaver - 35th Ayrshire Beavers

Re-Opened 24th August 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    It is no expanse to TSA as we are a charity so get CRB Disclosures done for free.

Persoanlly I would just do the CRBs but you don't have to so long as the parents are never given unsupervised access to the kids and don't help more often than about once a month (in which case they should fill in an Occasional helper form and be CRBd).

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I'm hoping that I can convince one of the keener ones to come on board as either a "proper" helper or a leader but I'm not
    gonna push my luck too soon!!

How does the unsupervised access thing work if it's their kid? Eg toilet - can they take their own to the loo but not someone elses?

Thanks
    last time I checked Ayrshire was in Scotland so CRB doesn't apply, nor does OH forms.

Worth giving Scottish HQ a ring or email at Disclosure Scotland and how it interrelates.
    Martin Whelan

ESL
    Thanks
    The situation is going to start changing on 12 October when the Independent Safeguarding Authority takes over and extends the CRB scheme. The phrase "unsupervised contact " disappears and anyone who has contact with YPs "frequently or intensively" has to be registered with the ISA as well as completing a CRB check. Frequently apparently means more that once a month and intensively means more than three days at a time.
    Taken at face value, this could include any parent who comes into the hut every week just to collect their own YP. The ESL of one of our neighbouring Units has fired off an email requesting urgent guidance from those further up the greasy pole than us but so far this has met with a deafening silence. I'm sure he won't mind (he's a regular contributor on here anyway) if I quote some of the links he's unearthed in an attempt to find the answers for himself. What we don't know yet is how this is to be applied to Scouting.
    http://www.wcva-cru.org.uk/index/disclosure/p1255.html)
    http://www.isa-gov.org/Default.aspx?page=315
    http://www.isa-gov.org/PDF/283896_IS...ctSheetNo3.pdf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1981 View Post
    last time I checked Ayrshire was in Scotland so CRB doesn't apply, nor does OH forms.

Worth giving Scottish HQ a ring or email at Disclosure Scotland and how it interrelates.
    Yeah we have disclosures done but it's still a criminal records check. This is when scots law gets confusing!! Why can't everything just be the same!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Davies View Post
    The situation is going to start changing on 12 October when the Independent Safeguarding Authority takes over and extends the CRB scheme. The phrase "unsupervised contact " disappears and anyone who has contact with YPs "frequently or intensively" has to be registered with the ISA as well as completing a CRB check. Frequently apparently means more that once a month and intensively means more than three days at a time.
    Taken at face value, this could include any parent who comes into the hut every week just to collect their own YP. The ESL of one of our neighbouring Units has fired off an email requesting urgent guidance from those further up the greasy pole than us but so far this has met with a deafening silence. I'm sure he won't mind (he's a regular contributor on here anyway) if I quote some of the links he's unearthed in an attempt to find the answers for himself. What we don't know yet is how this is to be applied to Scouting.
    http://www.wcva-cru.org.uk/index/disclosure/p1255.html)
    http://www.isa-gov.org/Default.aspx?page=315
    http://www.isa-gov.org/PDF/283896_IS...ctSheetNo3.pdf

My understanding is that the ISA comes into being in October, but that the new processes and legal requirements don't kick in until next summer due to various delays.

ISA doesn't replace CRB it supplements CRB, you will still complete a CRB form etc its just the way it is handled has changed.
    Martin Whelan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Sorry i forgot about you being in Scotland Alana

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    am finally back in the house so on proper internet rather than iphone internet!

Found an answer on scoutbase:

"DS checks are not required for occasional parent helpers who would normally act as an additional pair of hands under supervision. It is recommended that they complete a self-declaration form, copies of which are contained in the SHQ Parent & Guardian Welcome Packs."

Just got to find out what a Parent & Guardian welcome pack is now!! lol!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanajay View Post
    am finally back in the house so on proper internet rather than iphone internet!

Found an answer on scoutbase:

Just got to find out what a Parent & Guardian welcome pack is now!! lol!!!
    Hi Lana the pack can be found here
    Neil Rowland
    AGSL & SL 12th West Lothian (Knightsridge) Scouts

www.12thwestlothianscouts.org.uk

Who hath smelt wood-smoke at twilight? Who hath heard the birch log burning?
    Who is quick to read the noises of the night?
    Let him follow with the others:
    For the young men's feet are turning to the camps of proved desire and known delight!

Rudyard Kipling

Thanks
    I've already printed that - didn't realise that's what it was!!!!!!

If I had brain cells i'd be dangerous!! lol!!

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    If the parents aren't objecting I'd have all those willing do a CRB. It may start as only very occasional help but hey if you've got the CRBs in place it could turn into something more involved with ease without having to worry about unsupervised access. You never when the occasion (perhaps in an emergency) will arise when you need extra help that may involve unsupervised access. Most of my Scout parents completed CRBs at the end of the summer, so hopefully they will be in place for the new term. Regardless of CRB or no, all adults coming into contact with YP should be aware of the yellow card do's and don'ts anyway.
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    We've been told that it's a "legal requirement" that a helper form is completed with every CRB. Not sure how well that will work with family camps!
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Bloory, I think you'll find it should be the other way round. Anyone submitting a OH form must complete a new CRB form even if they already have one. The requirement for OH forms is still messy as it could pull a lot of people in who do not really need them if the advise given in some area's is followed to the letter.
    If someone is on a rota its always easier to get a CRB done straight away rather than wait until you need it in a hurry.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    I agree, I don't agree with it but that's what our appointments secretart thinks he was told by the info centre... frustrating!
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch