Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scout Active Support

Thanks

Scout Active Support

I've just been reading on the website about Scout Active Support.

Quite frankly; much ado about nothing.

New name and new role names. While it does say that everyone should go through the appointments process again, I can't see any GSL/DC/CC finding any reason to stop a present Fellowship chairman becoming a Scout Active Support manager.

While the name is a bit friendlier to potential volunteers from outside of the organisation, but that is it.

Am I missing something, or is it not that big a deal?
    Matthew

Thanks
    I am not sure that the name is friendlier to potential volunteers.

I can't quite get the picture of our District fellowship (the very supportive group that they are), joining the SAS!!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ě Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    joining the SAS!!
    Ah ha....Saturdays and Sundays

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by matt2501 View Post
    I've just been reading on the website about Scout Active Support.Am I missing something, or is it not that big a deal?
    It's no big deal if you're already a Fellowship member, because nothing really changes. It's a big deal for those of us who wondered what on earth Fellowship was all about because the terminology/"branding" now reflects what they should be doing.
    I think it's a welcome change. It shows that someone's thinking about Fellowship/Active Support and, what's more, doing something about it.
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-09-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    I think the idea is to put pressure on some Fellowships that they should be active support rather than an OFs drinking club that you join when you're too old to do anything useful.

It will be interesting to see what happens to our local Fellowship as they are about as far away from an SAS Unit as you can get.

I suspect it will just rename it self and carry on as before.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    It will be interesting to see what happens to our local Fellowship as they are about as far away from an SAS Unit as you can get.
    Mine too. Over 90% of their budget has been spent on Fellowship Social activities!
    It annoys me though, because the district events are usually just organised by one leader each, who complains that they don't get any help, yet they never ask the fellowship.

At the same time, the same leaders loudly criticise other leaders who retire without joining fellowship. Personally, while it has been in the past, I don't think it should be the case that it's just what you do when you retire, I would go as far as to suggest that it is discouraged. You should be free to chop and change between membership of an active support unit and any other role, just the same as other roles.

I think that someone didn't like the results of the review and is trying to mask the real problem.
    Matthew

Thanks
    Ditto.

You can easily change names; it's not so easy to change mindsets of the people in Fellowship/Active Support units.

Also from my experience the people in the fellowship, or now the active support are some of the least active in the district? Ironic.

Thanks

Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    You can easily change names; it's not so easy to change mindsets
    Isn't the rebrand part of the strategy to influence the mindset? It's already affecting my view of Fallowship (deliberate typo).
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Our district fellowship does seem to help with events, which is a good thing.

I understand the scarf and uniform has changed, although I wasn't aware that there was a uniform - anyone got any pictures of the changes?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post

I understand the scarf and uniform has changed, although I wasn't aware that there was a uniform - anyone got any pictures of the changes?
    I didn't know there were any changes to this sort of thing.

I expected the scarf to change because the old fellowship colours will go with the old fellowship, but members have either just worn an adult uniform with a fellowship badge, or have been associate members, hence no uniform at all.

We'll see if someone who knows a bit more can enlighten us!
    Matthew

Thanks
    I didn't know there were any changes to this sort of thing.

I expected the scarf to change because the old fellowship colours will go with the old fellowship, but members have either just worn an adult uniform with a fellowship badge, or have been associate members, hence no uniform at all.

We'll see if someone who knows a bit more can enlighten us!
    That was the impression I got yesterday, but I could be completely wrong. I missed all the workshops when it was presented, so am not totally sure.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks

New name and new role names. While it does say that everyone should go through the appointments process again, I can't see any GSL/DC/CC finding any reason to stop a present Fellowship chairman becoming a Scout Active Support manager.
    Actually, I believe talking with Glenn Walker (UK Fellowship advisor (or what ever the role title is), he has heard that a CC or DC has told his Fellowship Chair that he is no longer required.

I never went to the briefings on Saturday, but as part of a National Fellowship we had a seperate presentation with Glenn, basically with National Fellowships nothing much changes apart from Chair going to Manager, Treasurer / Secretary having a name change as well. We are also answerable direct to Glenn.

On a Group / District / County level, the GSL / DC / CC is now in overall charge and with the manager on the next step down and admin / finance guys below the manager and then the members on the step below.

There should be a lot more stuff appearing on the web in the near future, with new publications coming out a bit later than planned due to a last minute change as Glenn and Wayne didnt like what was written

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post

Uniform has always been down to the Unit - our official uniform is a polo shirt and our own necker, but we also have a vast selection of clothing we can purchase ie sweatshirts / fleeces / rugby shirts
    Last edited by stukley cubs; 06-09-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    Dave Stockford
    Holy Trinity Cubs - Yeovil District
    Southern Stars SASU

Thanks
    I'm a member of the 'Scout Active Support Launch Team', and I can answer all of the above questions for you. I've just got back from a fantastic weekend at Gilwell, but very tiring all the same!

Please leave any further questions here, and I'll go through and answer in as much depth as I can, as soon as I have the time later in the week.

Thank you!

Thanks
    I went to the Gilwell launch of the SAS. I am not a member of the Fellowship, so have no direct interest. I found the presentation quite confusing, and speaking to some Fellowship members afterwards, they were also confused. Some thought it was the same old stuff under a worse name, others thought it was the end of their Fellowship group. I didn't hear many positive noises from existing Fellowship members.

As I understand it, Fellowships are currently either national, or administered at district level (although there could be a number of informal groups within a district). The new SAS units can be at national, county, district or group level, and you can have multiple units at each level. Each unit must have a specific purpose as agreed at the level it exists at, but a social group is not deemed a good purpose. An SAS unit can be called by any suitable name (so Anytown District Scout Fellowship would be OK?).

Here is the new activesupport uniform badge which replaces the Scout Fellowship badge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    I went to the Gilwell launch of the SAS. I am not a member of the Fellowship, so have no direct interest. I found the presentation quite confusing, and speaking to some Fellowship members afterwards, they were also confused. Some thought it was the same old stuff under a worse name, others thought it was the end of their Fellowship group. I didn't hear many positive noises from existing Fellowship members.

As I understand it, Fellowships are currently either national, or administered at district level (although there could be a number of informal groups within a district). The new SAS units can be at national, county, district or group level, and you can have multiple units at each level. Each unit must have a specific purpose as agreed at the level it exists at, but a social group is not deemed a good purpose. An SAS unit can be called by any suitable name (so Anytown District Scout Fellowship would be OK?).

Here is the new activesupport uniform badge which replaces the Scout Fellowship badge.
    I agree.

Actually, I am all in favour of the change. It should reinvigorate a section which is important to Scouting, and in many parts works well, but in many other parts does not work at all and is merely a retirement club.

I like the poloshirts. I like the name (even the SAS abbreviation is, itself, quite good!).

HOWEVER... the presentations were just awful. Alec - why weren't you doing any of the talking? That would have made the point that it was a new, active section - instead the launch I went to had two greying Fellowship members who seemed confused and not really in control of the launch at all.

A real opportunity missed I think, and not a good start for an 'active' section.

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    I agree.

Actually, I am all in favour of the change. It should reinvigorate a section which is important to Scouting, and in many parts works well, but in many other parts does not work at all and is merely a retirement club.

I like the poloshirts. I like the name (even the SAS abbreviation is, itself, quite good!).

HOWEVER... the presentations were just awful. Alec - why weren't you doing any of the talking? That would have made the point that it was a new, active section - instead the launch I went to had two greying Fellowship members who seemed confused and not really in control of the launch at all.

A real opportunity missed I think, and not a good start for an 'active' section.

Bob
    I got a 20something guy presenting, he was good, and on message. But the slides lacked all the important info, i.e.

- what the point of the change was, and thinking behind a warranted leader
    - how they expected it to transition in practise
    - the non-rule based part of it all ... i.e., the PR campaign to get younger members, and the agenda that they will use the new warranted leaders to push

It made the "Just Ask" sticker a bit ironic ;-)

I didn't bother going to the sunday fellowship transition preso in the end, as I figured it was going to end up being a complaining session for very upset longtime members.