Thread: "Old Times They Are A-Changin'" - one for us dinosaurs!

Account Closed
    Thanks

Wink "Old Times They Are A-Changin'" - one for us dinosaurs!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50s, 60s, 70s probably shouldn't have survived, because...

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

Our generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of
    innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good!

(If you aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us).
    Last edited by Dramatist; 09-09-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Absolutely brilliant - and for me personally every word is true, so true its freaky.

Question, would i wish the same to-day for my kids. I really don't know, different times to-day with their own problems and different way of life

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Absolutely brilliant - and for me personally every word is true, so true its freaky.

Question, would i wish the same to-day for my kids. I really don't know, different times to-day with their own problems and different way of life
    And I dare say that if you come back here in 30 years time, our children will be saying exactly the same!

Though I do find that thought rather harrowing. If it does become any more regulated than we are today with H&S we will not be going outside at all and the SA will be a fond memory from the past having been banned for being a adventurous activity run by volunteers.

<loud creaking noise as a dinosaur steps down from soap box>
    Last edited by Spike; 10-09-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    I wasborn in '73 and all of the above applies to me too

I spent hours alone in the fields behind our house coming home when hungry!

I let my three boys 6, 7.5 and 9.5 play in the park around the corner without me. There's loads of friends around the park and they love the independence. I won't let the youngest there on his own though. Some parents look in horror when we talk about it. They don't let theirs out of their sight.

May be i'm wrong but i don't i'm a bad parent for doing letting them have some freedom.?

Christine Harvey
    BSL 1st Highweek
    Teignbridge
    Devon

Thanks
    However, is it not that it is precisely those born in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that are the parents who won't let their kids out of sight...?

And, btw, I was born in the 80s and most of that applies to me as well!
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    A lot of that is true for me and I am only 27 years old. Things have really gone wrong in the last 20 years.

I remember going out all day on my bike with my brothers collecting conkers (inc climbing the horse chesnut trees to shake them off the branch!). Getting home using my dad's hand drill to drill a hole in them and promptly playing conkers for hours. Yes we fell off our bikes, out of trees, hit out hands with conkers etc but it was all great fun and part of growing up.

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    However, is it not that it is precisely those born in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that are the parents who won't let their kids out of sight...?
    No I'd say it was more those born in the 80's
    Last edited by shiftypete; 10-09-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I was Born in the late 80's and i did most of that however it was not always the same for my generation, which is kind of sad because you need to hurt yourself by accident, eat worms and beetles, and go outside. Without doing these i believe kids don't have a full-life. sometimes i think i was born 50+ years to late.

I'm all for modern convieniences but i think the bureaucacy/H+S that comes with them nowadays takes away all the things that made us(me) learn - We learn by doing not listening/reading.

http://pubbles.org.uk
    4th Worthing Scout Group (ASL)
    Pubbles Scout Network(Worthing)(Secretary/Partial Webmaster)(Network District Exec. Rep.)
    vivamus libero vitae

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Ah, those were the days....

We built dens in the woods - about a mile from home.

We built campfires, we made spears

We followed the burn to its source, and as far into town as we dared before it became too dirty even for us.

We climbed trees

We rode our bikes for miles and miles.

We dammed the burn and swam in the pool we created, often shared with the local cows! which loved joining us in the water and doing what cows do!

We ran barefoot across the fields - because we'd get our shoes dirty, the fresh cowpats would squelch between our toes. The dry ones became frisbees.

We built bridges, we crossed yawning chasms by way of wire fences!

We climbed mountains (we really did - in wellies and shorts)

We walked for miles and miles

We found an old midden and we dug for hidden treasure - my brother and I still have an old shoebox full of scent bottles, broken ornaments and medallions we found there

We swam in the see

We dived for sea urchins

We tickled trout - never caught one large enough to eat though.

We visited the next town - we even dared to venture down towards Drumchapel - that was really brave!

We were full of bravado, but looked over our shoulder when a new grafitti mark appeared on our patch - esp. if it read The Fleet, or The Tong - of course we were miles from the territory of either, but nonetheless their reputations struck fear - even if the writer was just a copycat.

We sledged on the golf course in winter - how the greenkeeper must have hated the snow

We played games on the tarmac playground, we fell, we tore our trousers, we skinned our knees, we broke a few bones, we carried on playing once the tears stopped.

We'd kick a ball about anywhere there was space and we had four jumpers for goalposts (or even just two). Sometimes even Scots kids would play cricket, till we lost the ball or broke a window.

We'd go out after breakfast and return home for tea

One of the greens at the local golf course was on a blind summit - so golfers on the fairway, could not see the green. It was a short hole so they could get a ball onto the green from the tee. We'd wait till they were in the dip and out of sight and drop one of their balls into the hole - or we'd just hide their balls and watch the fun as they tried to work out where they had gone.

We'd chase rabbits - though we'd rarely catch any

We'd collect bird eggs - for a while that was a fad and I'm surprised that there were any birds left that summer.

We collected rosehips and brambles for syrup and jam

We played conkers in the autumn

We'd swing from trees on ropes we had found by the road

We sang songs on the bus going to school, or camp, or the pictures ...

We made "peashooters" from dog's flourish. Catapults from elastic bands.

We'd play knifey at camp (splits)

We'd fish down the gulleys at the roadside for lost toys and the odd sixpence.

We'd go out in the row boat and explore the local coast on holiday. (Later we'd take the day cruiser and go out to the islands and watch the seals, or try catching our tea)

My first childhood ended the day I went to University and met all these dealy earnest folks who took their drink seriously, smoked like old men, and whose experience of life seemed, to me then, so much wider and exciting than mine

I look back now and realise that, school aside -I hated school- I had a fantastic childhood.

My second childhood started when I had my own kids... and I did my best to allow them to do as much as I did when I was a kid. Though, far from the land of my youth their experience was different. I would say more restricted by geography rather than society.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartburchett View Post
    I was Born in the late 80's and i did most of that however it was not always the same for my generation, which is kind of sad because you need to hurt yourself by accident, eat worms and beetles, and go outside. Without doing these i believe kids don't have a full-life. sometimes i think i was born 50+ years to late.
    I'm a late 80's baby too and reckon most of it can apply to me. I reckon most of this extreme child safety stuff has come around since the late 90's to be fair
    AESL of Endurance and member of South Ribble Network - West Lancs County

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post

No I'd say it was more those born in the 80's
    It was most certainly started with those born earlier, though - it didn't happen overnight. Many of those born in the 80s who do it don't know any different because that was how THEY were raised.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I'm a late 80's baby too and reckon most of it can apply to me. I reckon most of this extreme child safety stuff has come around since the late 90's to be fair
    <cough> wheelbarrow <cough>

Thanks
    1989-91, Clapham, South London. Middle class parents of 10-14 year olds. "Oh I think my child is deprived, theyv'e never been on a bus or the tube before", when at Clapham South tube station to get on the underground to go on a weekend camp. Tents and cookers etc stored at the campsite.

Even then many kids in that part of London didn't go anywhere, even to play with friends, without being taken in mum or dad's taxi. Those parents had to have been born in the 60s/70s. Not sure the council estate kids were the same, but didn't see many of them in the youth group I was working in, which wasn't for the want of trying to recruit them.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    I'm a child of the 60's and I grew up in the Canadian Rockies on various construction sites in the middle of nowhere. When I was 12 we moved to the city of Calgary and I had to be taught how to cross a road - not joking! We had the entire Canadian Rockies as our playground and thought nothing of wandering a mile or more into the dense bush to visit a swamp we had found or as a dare to visit the horse skeleton on Sasquash Point (North American name for a Yeti). We never got lost and in some directions it was 250 miles before the next bit of civilization. At the age of 8 we used to chase bears by thowing rocks at them, otherwise they would knock over the garbage cans and as a child you would then be sent out to clear it up.

I had a great childhood and never missed things like television, cinema, shops or everything else kids now can't do without. I really regret not being able to give my kids the same freedom to wander and oportunities to make dens and get lost. Most of all I regret not having proper snow, feet of it from November to March every year!

Nick

Thanks
    I know i'm lucky and live in the same town i grew up in. It's relatively safe unlike i guess some big cities and i know the whole 'world through rose tinited glasses' thing. I know some places have guns and such like to worry about, rightly so , but surely those places are a minority?

I don't understand parents who, whilst at the enclosed-only-one-entrance park with their children, won't let them out of their sight and stat right net to their every move. Surely that must be stifleing for the child? Then i guess, the child know no different.

Our local country park has a great wood with a lovelt clear stream. Loads of kids play in it but i over heard a mum at the weekend yell to her son, about 9, 'don't play in the water. It'll have germs in it' ?!

Christine Harvey
    BSL 1st Highweek
    Teignbridge
    Devon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieJ View Post
    <cough> wheelbarrow <cough>
    ha ha well maybe i should have been a tincy bit safer on that one lol
    Last edited by Goose; 10-09-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    AESL of Endurance and member of South Ribble Network - West Lancs County

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything