Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hat Plumes

Thanks

Hat Plumes

Some of you may have come across an enquiry from a leader regarding the sourcing of a Hat Plume, this has prompted me to post this thread.

Iam a Leader trainer in The City of Coventry Scout County and I am also I collector of Scouting memorabilia( sad I know but don`t hold it against me). In the process of completing my own Hat Plume collection I have started restoring and repluming hat plumes, I have taken on a number of commisions for this work, some have gone to collectors, some I have supplied framed as retirement gifts

Anyone interested in the service I can provide please drop me a line.

Regards

Neil Adcock

Thanks
    Have just bought a brand new scout hat (like the Mounties) and would like plume. Ideally red (for ASL) or brown (we were given permission to wear brown plumes back in 1910). Any chance you can help me?

Thanks

Hat Plume

Looks like we might not be as old as 1910, but we have unearthed a photo from 1911, and the dark brown plume was not like the traditional little tuft type but a large feathered plume, like those you'd see from the Boer on slouch hats. Researching the history of the group is fascinating.
    We are Lord Roberts's Own, set up by his batman, and it's kind of nice that we are named after Baden-Powell's old boss from the Boer War!

Thanks
    High

I obviously do not check this as often as I should, I do replume holders with the horse hair I have never come across a brown plume but its possible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsam189 View Post
    Looks like we might not be as old as 1910, but we have unearthed a photo from 1911, and the dark brown plume was not like the traditional little tuft type but a large feathered plume, like those you'd see from the Boer on slouch hats. Researching the history of the group is fascinating.
    We are Lord Roberts's Own, set up by his batman, and it's kind of nice that we are named after Baden-Powell's old boss from the Boer War!
    Any chance of posting the picture?

There is the possibility that your troop was not Scout Association. For example, the Incorporated Church Scout Patrols wore plumes like the ones you describe.

Thanks

Lord Roberts' Own

Having found archive material from 1910, I ordered 500 badges (£300) with MCMX on them. This was revealed at the AGM and the DC then told us she had a surprise, Gilwell had managed to find a record of our first Leader's Warrant - 1909. Quick phone call to badge manufacturer and now we have group badges with MCMIX. We,ve been dubbed the McMixers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jsam189 For This Useful Post:

johnL (09-03-2017)

Thanks

Hat Plume

Hi Neil,

My name is Jaime Ribeiro, i'm group scout leader from Portugal and also a scout collector. My main interest are scout whistles and scout plumes, i have, more or less, 75. I've some scout hat badges without the plume, and i would love to have the Local Association Secretary plume (black/red/black); County Secretary (Black/blue/black); Local Chief Scout of Overseas Branches (Yellow/green/ red); UK Chief Scout (Red/yellow/green Horizontal); Chief Scout Wales(Yellow/green) and Member of Gilwell Park Staff (Kingfisher blue).
    Since you are a scout collector maybe you are interested in portuguese scout items; i can get you almost everything from the 2 portuguese scout association like the Cavaleiro da Pátria (portuguese King's scout baddge) and the badge for national chief with the golden leaves, or buckles, badges, etc.
    Please let me know if you are interested.
    Yours in scouting

Jaime Ribeiro

Thanks
    I am a collector of old scouting memorabillia and a scout archivist.

do you have any scout plumes without the plume (just the metal badge) as i would like a chief scout plume(red-yellow-green -up/down)
    how much are your services.

Richard Bowman
    1st Vale of Pickering Scout Group
    1st Vale of Pickering Scout Archives
    Ryedale district Scout archivist

Thanks
    My request is similar to the previous one. I am an American Boy Scout leader living in Belgium and each year I play the role of Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell at our annual Wood Badge training course in Germany. I have put together a pretty authentic B-P uniform, including the correct campaign ribbons (which you can get on eBay these days), but I lack the correct hat plume. Are you still willing to make up a Chief Scout of the World hat plume? If so, please contact me at gregory.pedlow[at]shape.nato.int (replace the {at} with the correct sign; I try to avoid having my e-mail address harvested automatically).

Greg Pedlow
    Mons, Belgium
    Assistant District Commissioner, Charlemagne District
    Transatlantic Council, Boy Scouts of America

Thanks
    Hi

Are you still able to get plumes? I would be very interested in a Scout master one for around 1914.

Thanks
    Annette

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by annette View Post
    Hi

Are you still able to get plumes? I would be very interested in a Scout master one for around 1914.

Thanks
    Annette
    Scout Shops used to sell a replica not sure if they still do.

Otherwise you take pot luck on ebay and Scouting Auctions - they are not cheap and a 1914 one in any condition will cost you quite a bit. (Silver or EPNS).

Thanks
    Most of the 'vintage' hat plumes on ebay seem to be from Hong Kong - one has to suspect that they were made last week.

This one looks plausible: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261306554543

Thanks

' Another Feather in Your Cap '

' There were indeed a number of Scouty Chaps at the Gilwell Reunion this year who were selling these items all pucker stuff it looked to me ? '

' It would be useful to have a ' Scout History Group ' within escouts where we could share information of who has these items for sale, as well as other items/pieces of Scouting Historical interest.

' There is quite a bit of ' made only the other day ' Scouting Stuff. Colin Walker Scout Historian whom I saw at Gilwell last week has published some books on collecting ' Scouting Stuff ' and Claire in the Archives at Gilwell has a keen eye to cast over Scouting materials that come her way.

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    I'm looking for an Assistant Scout Master plume, not too bothered whether it is genuine, the hat it will be going on isn't.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    I collected hat Plumes worldwide which prompted me to produce a book on Plumes titled----HAT PLUMES OF THE BRITISH BOY SCOUT ASSOCIATION 1908--1966, It covers every hat plume issued during that period with descriptions of materials used to produce the plume holder and the various materials used for the plume itself plus dates of issue plus coloured pictures. The Scout association have copies of my books which they use for reference. If I can help in any way CONTACT ME. The book can be viewed just GOOGLE --- THE OPEN LIBRARY. Incidentally I have never seen a brown plume
    I also produced ----
    BRITISH GALLANTRY AWARDS & MEDALS OF THE BOY SCOUT ASSOCIATION

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodpecker For This Useful Post:

big chris (02-04-2014),roger-uk (02-04-2014)