Thread: DofE changes on the scouts scotland website

Thanks

DofE changes on the scouts scotland website

Hi All
    an interesing article about not going onto eDofE JUST YET
    http://www.scouts-scotland.org.uk/de...age=13&uid=356

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    Interesting info, just a shame info like this doesn't get trickled down properly

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I think this is the 'tip of the iceberg' of issues regarding eDofE. The Scotish Scouts site has been very diplomatic in just citing the internet access challenge. One of the major problems is ensuring 'child protection' by 'protection of the data'.

I am sure dofe have good intentions at heart here and this is part of many changes to put credability back into the award by addressing the weak points.

My guess is, this will end up as Operating Authorities being given the option of the hand written books or use online eDofE. So the books will be around for a long time yet!
    Last edited by kezzy; 08-10-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    We only have 2 rules in our group:
    Rule 1 - I'm the Boss and
    Rule 2 - if in doubt refer to Rule #1

Thanks
    Well I hope they sort out the issues because the paper and spreadsheet factory I run at the moment is very labour intensive and must be a major item in the profitability of the Post Office in our village ! Here's the registration process:

- download registration form from our website
    - complete and hand in with cheque to your DoE advisor
    - post to me
    - I check the eligibility of the person
    - enter the data on my tracking speadsheet
    - log the cheque details on receipts spreadsheet
    - I issue a scheme number
    - stamp the book
    - fill the details in
    - put book in a folder
    - file registration form in district folder
    - put folder in envelope, stamp my details on envelope and send recored delivery to DoE Advisor
    - file proof of posting.

Its a reasonably secure way of operating and we don't lose any books which is a key factor.

I was thinking about rationalising it with a self service app on our website but the eDoE sounds like the step change that is needed.
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

Thanks
    Although eDofE will cut out some of the fraud that goes on I think one of the disappointing things about losing the record book is that you no longer have something tangible from doing your award.

Something that I really liked about the D of E and the record books is all the comments in the book and i still go back occasionally to look at the lovely comments from assessors and the memories it brings back.

Does E dofe still allow assessor and participant comments and can you print off a nice record for a portfolio for instance.

It appears to me that there has still got to be some paperwork exercise involved for example when a participant completes an expedition the assessor will need to make notes about the performance of the participant so that they can, when they get back home or whatever update their on-line record and sign off the expedition, likewise I thought it would also be wise that the participant was given a piece of paper or notification after the expedition that they have successfully completed an expedition, ie if the on-line system breaks down but then again in the real world sometimes signing off is done later anyway.

Thanks
    You still get a record book (of sorts) with the new eDofE Welcome Packs that have replaced the old record books.

It's not a patch on the old book but at least there is a couple of pages for each activity for comments and sign off. As TSA are so far behind (not only missed the boat but probably the port as well) with the introduction of eDofE then you will have to use these as the record.

Another thing that has changed (disappeared) with eDofE is the registration number. This used to come with the Record Book but now you are supposed to get it from registering online so we won't be seeing that for many months (years?).
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    As TSA are so far behind (not only missed the boat but probably the port as well) with the introduction of eDofE then you will have to use these as the record.
    ...and rightly so. They do not even appear to have any encryption on data transferrred from the youth participant browser/ or leader to the main system. Great. Names, addresses, ages, hobbies of young people transmitted 'in clear text' over the net. Very, very unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Another thing that has changed (disappeared) with eDofE is the registration number. This used to come with the Record Book but now you are supposed to get it from registering online so we won't be seeing that for many months (years?).
    I understood that the reg id appears in the top right of the youths 'profile' page. That will be there as soon as a record is created. So, in theoy, there will be no delay.
    We only have 2 rules in our group:
    Rule 1 - I'm the Boss and
    Rule 2 - if in doubt refer to Rule #1

Thanks
    The new pack is horrible. Small books in a cardboard pack. The pack will probably get crushed in the post and the likelihood of getting binned is a lot greater than the old book. The sheets to hand to the assessor seem a good idea.

The registration number won't be disappearing for awhile in Cheshire, I've got a pile of 50 or 60 slips !

I don't understand why TSA are so far behind the curve on the eDoE initiative. The current process and approach is Dickensian.
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbuckley View Post
    I don't understand why TSA are so far behind the curve on the eDoE initiative. The current process and approach is Dickensian.
    See above comments from kezzy on why

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kezzy View Post
    ...and rightly so. They do not even appear to have any encryption on data transferrred from the youth participant browser/ or leader to the main system. Great. Names, addresses, ages, hobbies of young people transmitted 'in clear text' over the net. Very, very unsafe.

I understood that the reg id appears in the top right of the youths 'profile' page. That will be there as soon as a record is created. So, in theoy, there will be no delay.
    Just had a look around, and as soon as I go to the site, I get redirected to HTTPS - so can't see anything intrinsically wrong there?
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fmountford View Post
    Although eDofE will cut out some of the fraud that goes on I think one of the disappointing things about losing the record book is that you no longer have something tangible from doing your award.

Something that I really liked about the D of E and the record books is all the comments in the book and i still go back occasionally to look at the lovely comments from assessors and the memories it brings back.

Does E dofe still allow assessor and participant comments and can you print off a nice record for a portfolio for instance.
    You get a beautiful bound 'photobook' at the end called an Achievement Pack, made up by the participant online from their pics, evidence, quotes etc uploaded onto eDofE as they do it. It's much better than the old Record Book!!! They can either download a free pdf to print and bind themselves or order a hardback coffee table book version, with pics on the front or a plain leatherish cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images