Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bag Packing Rules

Thanks

Bag Packing Rules

HI ,
    Has anyone got any rules for bag packing?
    Can parents wear neckers,do they need "CRB"?
    What breif do we give the YP?
    and so on??

Carl
    CSL/ADC Cubs Melton Mowbray

Thanks
    If you have a group t-shirt for the parents to wear that might be better than a necker.
    The store will give you instructions on what they wish you to do. When we bag pack we tell the YP to be polite and to ask if the customer wants their bag packing and if the customer says no, thank them and step back to give the customer room, then step forward for the next customer. We have sealed collecting tins on the till and often the customer will put something in even if you do not actually pack their bags.

Politeness, behavior and smartness are pretty much key.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,590 Posts
    Ask the store.

Morrisons just ask us to be polite and careful.

Sainsburys have issued a Risk Assessment and ask us to give guidance on bag packing and lifting!

We are not allowed to help people takle trollies to their cars at Sainsbugs, but Morrisons have no rule.

I'd insist on uniform for kids, and uniformed help. I don't worry too much about parents - most sod off and do their shopping leaving the Scouts to look after the Beavers and Cubs!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Do it at Waitrose, it is far more lucrative than Sainsbury’s

Actually Waitrose were very good when I did it before (in an SA group) and gave all the scouts and cubs a quick session on how to pack bags and also gave them a Waitrose apron to wear.

Have two cubs/scouts on each till and a few leaders nearby to supervise. Also have one or two in the entrance with a collection box maybe handing out baskets.

Make sure that they ask if they may help in packing (not can help).

Obviously in full uniform and not i.Scout etc.

You may give the adult helpers neckers to show they are part of your group
    Last edited by tdjno; 15-10-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    ASDA were very good when we did it there - basically they just left us to get on with it!

YP should be in full, smart uniform and told to be courteous and careful with peoples shopping. Any adults present should either be in uniform or, if they're not a leader, wearing a group shirt or necker.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Yep pretty much what others have said. But we do insist that there is at least 1 adult between 2 cubs but Scouts can go on there own. We dont let beavers because just wouldn't be practical.

I am currently preparing a quick brief as we're bag packing next week, will basically be don't lift anything too heavy for you, ALWAYS ask if they want you to don't be disheartened if they say no (they will usually donate and remeber to say thankyou), don't take bags to peoples cars anything could happen, and try and pack stuff seperately like colds and hots and non food etc.

I am doing I.D kind of badges for parents helping as we dont have group shirts or anything seems the cheapest thing.

Make sure you put labels on buckets saying what you are collecting for, be specific like new windows etc.

I always buy a few snacks as a thankyou for them like tiffin and flap jack and have a few bottles of water especially if there helping for a while.

Finally have slots which they can put down when they can do, for example we are doing 2 hour slots so we dont have them all here at once!

If you want any more advice feel free to PM me.

Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    If the scouts(or a spare leader) know the way about the shop have someone who can run and get forgotten items for customers. They usually give a bit extra for it. Also putting baskets away helps. Staff are usually appreciative. Might not be able to do this in bigger stores though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamaster View Post
    Make sure you put labels on buckets saying what you are collecting for, be specific like new windows etc.
    Don't be too specific. If you say you're collecting for new windows then you can only spend that money on new windows. If you find you don't need it then you are supposed to offer to return the money.

You can say more general things like "Group Activities and Building Maintenance (including new windows)" or something similar which gives you flexibility if the new windows fall through for any reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    Don't be too specific. If you say you're collecting for new windows then you can only spend that money on new windows. If you find you don't need it then you are supposed to offer to return the money.

You can say more general things like "Group Activities and Building Maintenance (including new windows)" or something similar which gives you flexibility if the new windows fall through for any reason.

From experience i have always found out that people prefer to see exactly what you are collecting for and will ask if you dont have the labels. Ok if you find you have £200 spare then i'm sure you will be able to find something to spend it on in your hut.

How would you be able to return the money people dont write down how much they give ?
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    From experience i have always found out that people prefer to see exactly what you are collecting for and will ask if you dont have the labels. Ok if you find you have £200 spare then i'm sure you will be able to find something to spend it on in your hut.

How would you be able to return the money people dont write down how much they give ?
    Why not say "new windows and building maintenance" then?
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    You can't, so why put yourself in the position where you need to?

Thanks
    Well to be specific we are actually putting new windows and a kitchen, but it's not as if every penny of that has to go to it.
    If our roof collapsed the day after it i think i would quite deffinately be spending it on that not a new kitchen.
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader

Thanks
    - all members (from Beaver to leader) in full uniform, ironed and worn properly
    -all non-members wear a Group baseball cap (a lot of stores do like your adults easily identifiable)
    -we ask families to tell us what sessions (these are in hourly blocks) they can do, and log into a spreadsheet so we don't have too many in some slots and not enough in others, people are usually happy to move slots if they can.
    -there is always 1 person whom everyone else has to sign in and out with (for fund allocation and in case of emergency). This person also has emergency contacts etc for those attending
    -explain to everyone helping what you are raising funds for, people will ask but always qualify with “and any surplus will be used for the general benefit of the Group” or something
    -we ask everyone to bring a drink with them (unless the store are providing, which some kindly do)
    -depending on the weather agree with the store where everyone’s wet soggy coat (and perhaps handbags) will go whilst they bag pack
    -the store will often tell you how many tills you can cover, we allow a max of 2 people per till
    -a couple of weeks before we e-mail all helping and ask them to train the YPs on packing by practicing on the weekly shop (hot / cold, frozen, don’t put cans on soft bread etc etc )
    -train YPs to say something like “Would you like any help with your packing?”, not to worry if people say no etc
    -explain that they shouldn’t lift anything too heavy and are not allowed to leave the till area (i.e. not to take trolleys out etc)
    -tell everyone to smile lots and lots, to be very polite
    -we tend to put a Beaver or a Cub with a Scout or adult (younger ones look so cute it ups the value of donations!)
    - we have “proper” sealed donations pots with labels on, these are left at the end of each till point (with that team keeping an eye on it)
    - have one person stand, smiling near the exit with a donation pot (not shaking it), lots of people give anyway
    -consider using for PR, and take a supply of leaflets etc in case of enquries (some stores will even let you put a stand up)
    -we arrange to have somewhere secure (perhaps a locker) where we can empty cash into and give the pots back to the next shift (yes, we do get that much…)
    -think about how / who will carry all that cash home (it weighs a lot!!!), count it, pay it in etc etc
    -bribery – we usually issue doughnuts or something as people end their shift
    -we sometimes allocate to personal camp funds, based on hours input (have a spreadsheet that works all that allocation out if anyone wants a copy)
    -write and thank the store formally afterwards to tell them how much was raised, what it will be used for etc. Include a certificate if you do them
    -think about a pair of comfy shoes if you are doing a long stint!
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Well to be specific we are actually putting new windows and a kitchen, but it's not as if every penny of that has to go to it.
    If our roof collapsed the day after it i think i would quite deffinately be spending it on that not a new kitchen.
    Have a read of this: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk...tions/cc20.asp

Fundamentally, funds raised must be used for the stated purpose and it is (in general) illegal to use them for anything else. So if you fund raise for new windows you can't them use the money to replace the roof.

Thanks
    I understand that but we are still sticking by our original plan to be specific as we know that's what works and what customers want.

Where does the law stand in exceptional circumstances then, for example if the roof did completely cave in and the money we had raised for the windows was the only money we had, could we not use it being exceptional circumstances?

Just my view on it...
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader